Sign in to follow this  
Lozen

Aluminum

Okay, so I really want to get rid of my old aluminum cookware, and I actually went out and bought a stainless steel set, but it turns out that there is an aluminum capsulated base for even heat distribution. Do I have to return it, or is it okay?

I like cast iron. I've two pans - each has been used for almost 50 years and they are pretty much non-stick with so many years of oil being absorbed and trapped in the VERY high heat i use to fry & broil. The iron I absorb is a good thing too.

Lozen are you worried about metalic elements from the aluminum seeping into yr system? I don't think they will leach through the steel. But I am unaware of the gist of the potential problem... Please explain what you are worried about.- Way

Edited by Wayfarer64

Okay, so I really want to get rid of my old aluminum cookware, and I actually went out and bought a stainless steel set, but it turns out that there is an aluminum capsulated base for even heat distribution. Do I have to return it, or is it okay?

The part that touches the food should not be aluminum.

So if the aluminum is sandwiched between stainless that's ok.

Sometimes they use copper sometimes aluminum.

Also stay away from Teflon and other non stick coatings.

Lozen,

I have not seen one legitimate study on cookware that has indicated that stainless steel cookware has the potential to cause any harm.

If the cooking surface is stainless steel and the base is aluminum, or copper or any other metal, you're still cooking on stainless steel, nothing else.

About Aluminum. I have not seen one legitimate study on cookware that has indicated that aluminum cookware has the potential to cause any harm.

I think there was an early study of Alzheimer's patients that indicated they had more aluminum in their brains than healthy people -- so someone opined that maybe that was from aluminum based anti-perperants, soda cans, aluminum cookware, etc.

That opinion in and of itself was a bit of a leap -- I mean it could be that alzheimer's causes the brain tissue to store aluminum or a host of other possible explanations. There was NO EVIDENCE that these people had somehow absorbed more alumninum through use of these items.

BUT IN ANY EVENT, NO SUBSEQUENT STUDY OF ALZHEIMER'S PATIENTS HAS FOUND ANY GREATER LEVELS OF ALUMINUM IN THEIR BRAINS THAN NORMAL HEALTHY PEOPLE. In other words, the first study was just plain wrong. Aluminum is linked to alzheimers is a flat out myth.

Teflon is not good, stay away. Any non stick surface is going to come off which means you are eating it. Maybe it's inert and passes through you, maybe it doesn't.

Cast Iron has been used for centuries and hasn't hurt anyone. Something weirds me out about the idea that it's "seasoned" - basically meaning that it's always got some old grease fused into it. But it seems to create no health risks whatsoever and people who use it swear by it.

Mercola quoted quite a bit of studies on aluminum/Alzheimers links. I haven't looked into it though. I do know that it destroys most vitamins (esp. vit C), seems to react with acidic food and destroys the flavor.

Lozen,

Aluminum does react badly with acidic foods, but that doesn't mean there's anything toxic about it. It's like saying don't whip cream in a copper bowl (or DO whip it in a copper bowl, I always forget the reccomendation) -- it's about the way the food reacts to the metal.

As I said, I've read a lot of the stuff about aluminum and it's all pretty sketchy theory based on very little evidence.

I don't know much about enamel except it's usually pretty heavy and expensive. One issue might be how good the enamel is, i.e., if it's coated or can somehow flake off, you want to know what it is that you're injesting.

Personally, I'd do stainless steel for most pots and calphalon high-end non-stick for my frying pan. The calphalon says it's non-stick polymers are "fused" with the steel so they can never come off, but I think that's probably bullshit. In the end of the day though, I really like omlettes and other food that requires (with my level of skill) a good non-stick surface, so I'm willing to live with the health risk.

By the way, if I was buying a new frying pan, I'd try cast iron. They are cheap and, once seasoned, work well. And as I said before people swear by them -- and I've yet to hear anyone make a health argument against them.

I don't have time to look into the science at this moment (too busy researching water), but I know that I have gotten achy (recently) after eating food cooked in aluminum, and that's enough for me.

I had a cast iron pan but I didn't know I was supposed to season it and it got all messed up. DOH!

Teflon releases toxic fumes but only at very high temerature. Also what about aluminum in deoderant? I would be more concerned about that.

I always thought it was Aluminium not Aluminum... but I guess it's one of those american things :rolleyes::)

My dad has an induction hob, which uses electromagnetism to heat the actual pan... apparently more healthy that way ( :huh: ) at the very least it precludes from using aluminium pans because they're not magnetic... It would be shooting a lot of electromagnetic energy at the food and water - which could be good or bad... it might be a cool experiment if one puts one of those orgone towerbuster gizmos near by...

I don't have time to look into the science at this moment (too busy researching water), but I know that I have gotten achy (recently) after eating food cooked in aluminum, and that's enough for me.

I had a cast iron pan but I didn't know I was supposed to season it and it got all messed up. DOH!

Did it just rust? Couldn't you sand off the rust and reseason?

Did it just rust? Couldn't you sand off the rust and reseason?

No rust, just a bunch of stuff stuck on it. I did everything wrong... I washed it with dish soap like all my other dishes, for one.

Sign in to follow this