Audiohealing

Healing the kidneys.

Hey guys,

I guess it's not so important how things got this way but I believe my kidneys are either diseased or failing on me, then again it might not be as bad as I'm imagining it. I'm only going to be able to see a urologist on the 29th.

I wanted to know in the meantime if there are any energetic practices or foods/herbs I can do/eat in the meantime to help them recover. The only thing I'm doing at the moment is Flying Phoenix Chi Kung and a basic 45-minute Chakra meditation daily.

I tried "breathing into the kidneys" (breathing by expanding the back cavity instead of the belly), from the Bruce Frantzis "Taoist breathing" CD-Set, and this only aggravated things- it made my kidneys hurt even more and it made an old trap injury resurface, then again I was probably doing it wrong.

Any helpful advice would be much appreciated. Going to the ER is not an option unfortunately. I think I should be fine until my appointment. Wish me luck. :(

I had chronic urinary retention due to a medication I was taking. It sometimes took me up to 2 hours to urinate. After all the pushing my right kidney started to hurt a bit (not much), but it felt like I had a brick in my upper back, and then the left one, same thing. I still look and feel relatively healthy, but it feels like I'm carrying around two bricks in my upper back and that can't be good.

I had chronic urinary retention due to a medication I was taking. It sometimes took me up to 2 hours to urinate. After all the pushing my right kidney started to hurt a bit (not much), but it felt like I had a brick in my upper back, and then the left one, same thing. I still look and feel relatively healthy, but it feels like I'm carrying around two bricks in my upper back and that can't be good.

Okay, I'm no doctor, but is the retention due contraction of passages, or just no feeling or desire to go? Do you feel like you have to go but you can't, or do you just feel a bunch of stuff up there but no impulse to urinate?

Hey guys,

I guess it's not so important how things got this way but I believe my kidneys are either diseased or failing on me, then again it might not be as bad as I'm imagining it. I'm only going to be able to see a urologist on the 29th.

I wanted to know in the meantime if there are any energetic practices or foods/herbs I can do/eat in the meantime to help them recover. The only thing I'm doing at the moment is Flying Phoenix Chi Kung and a basic 45-minute Chakra meditation daily.

I tried "breathing into the kidneys" (breathing by expanding the back cavity instead of the belly), from the Bruce Frantzis "Taoist breathing" CD-Set, and this only aggravated things- it made my kidneys hurt even more and it made an old trap injury resurface, then again I was probably doing it wrong.

Any helpful advice would be much appreciated. Going to the ER is not an option unfortunately. I think I should be fine until my appointment. Wish me luck. :(

Hi,

You can try this one as well if you'd like

http://www.everythingwingchun.com/Eddie-Chong-Chi-Kung-p/ec07.htm

It's just another route for Kidney Qigong. Pretty good if you ask me.

I am healing my kidneys too, but they are not as bad as yours. I do Yang Jwing Ming's si ji gong seasonal qigong every morning (the winter set for kidneys, with the massage and vital point stimulation. You can buy it here http://ymaa.com/publishing/dvd/qigong_DVD/understanding_qigong_DVD4 and if you don't have 40 bucks to spend on a new gong, there are torrents.) and i also spend time meditating on fa qi (holy qi) as a brilliant light with a golden aura entering my kidneys until they glow in my mind's eye. I do this by itself and in combination with sha of kuji-in. That give me a great idea! I will practice kuji-kiri and draw a kidney talisman! I love making talismans :)

I think it was a combination of too many years mistreating my body, and the straw that broke the camels kidney's a recent prescription of ciprofloxcin<sp> for a bacterial bursae infection in my knee! That stuff put the HURT on my kidneys, so I am in the 4th day of a fast right now, focusing on green drinks (R.W. Knudsen's superfoods drink with barley grass, spirulina, and chlorella), kombucha (which is especially good for the kidneys but don't drink more than 2 a day, that can stress your kidneys), tea of all kinds (especially green tea masala chai), pao d'arco bark tea, yogi tea's Peach Detox (which is targeting kidney health unlike some of their other detox teas) and of course LOTS OF WATER! Since my girlfriend is out of town and took the juicer, i am supplimenting all that with some carrot juice from the local organic food co-op when i go there, but i can't drink 5 lbs worth of carrot juice a day! woe is me. Although for kidneys, i recommend beet juice, its enzymes target the kidneys, carrot is more a liver cleanse, but they are both good! Oh yes also i am not drinking coffee until the tightness goes away. More woe! hahaaha

I was just having a tight feeling in my lower back and trouble visualizing them glowing brightly. My left one feels tighter than my right one, and is harder to visualize a glow in it. It was black but since fasting it has started to light up easily again. whew! I was pretty scared at first but i have a good feeling about it now.

Good luck to you audiohealing, I hope you can overcome your ailment.

The urinary retention issue has cleared since I have stopped taking the medication. What it did was make me physically unable to empty my bladder, no matter how full it was. I had to get a catheter(sp?) a few times at the ER to empty my bladder until I figured out what was causing it.

Now the main issue is the kidneys. I want to emphasize that I had perfectly healthy, normal kidneys prior to the onset of the acute discomfort. My theory is that because of the serious chronic pushing I was doing with a full bladder, the urine may have gone in the opposite direction and infected and/or damaged the kidneys.

I'm trying to read as little as possible about the medical details because it's totally going to psych me out.

I'll checkout the kidney qigong for sure. Thanks guys.

Okay, I'm no doctor, but is the retention due contraction of passages, or just no feeling or desire to go? Do you feel like you have to go but you can't, or do you just feel a bunch of stuff up there but no impulse to urinate?

Already drinking tons of it. I am very keen on using herbal supplements but there the problem with kidneys is that adding supplements puts a lot of strain on it and may probably hinder it more than help it. That said, I am still taking my liv52 supplement which I've been taking for years now on top of my fish oil. If its good for the liver im sure its good for the kidneys.

also i think cranberry juice is good for your kidneys. Get the fresh squeezed not the concentrate tho

Do you have experience with the particular DVD you linked? I don't really have the time or money to order anything at this point.

Are there any free resources on how to perform Kidney Qigong? I am a novice but I learn fast. I would prefer that it be as basic as possible though...

Hi,

You can try this one as well if you'd like

http://www.everythingwingchun.com/Eddie-Chong-Chi-Kung-p/ec07.htm

It's just another route for Kidney Qigong. Pretty good if you ask me.

Cold water therapy (go under a cold shower or something for a minute or two) assists the kidneys with their detoxification. You may notice that you pee more often for a few hours afterward.

I would avoid fasting since this increases detoxification...when really what you probably want is nourishment, so that their function overall improves rather than diminishes. Bone broth and beef soup is good...and things like that. Celery is said to benefit the kidneys.

Exercise is always good.

It might be beneficial to find a visceral manipulation practitioner, to reposition the kidneys. But your case is unique, so you should be communicating with your actual doctor about how to make yourself better, and what may be harmful. This may take more than a few sessions if the visceral manipulation practitioner finds other issues to work on holistically, if your doctor says it's okay.

Craniosacral therapy will probably help your body relax open in general. I am a big fan of BeCalm balls as well, which is something similar that you can do on your own.

Don't breathe into the kidneys and try to push it, since this stimulates the adrenal glands and the fight or flight response, making things worse. Just let the body inhale, and let it exhale...guiding instead of controlling. If you let out the breath and wait, the body will want to inhale, so let it...do it like that. In the beginning you may want to extend the exhale, which aids in relaxation. The purpose should be relaxing the body and mind primarily...forget about the body and just be breathed. If the results from breathing feel wrong, then try a different approach to it like this.

I suggest finding a practice which utilizes all three dantians. The upper dantian is related to the pituitary gland (among other areas) which balances the hormones of the rest of the endocrine system.

Hormones secreted from the pituitary gland help control the following body processes:

Growth (Excess of HGH can lead to gigantism and acromegaly.)

Blood pressure

Some aspects of pregnancy and childbirth including stimulation of uterine contractions during childbirth

Breast milk production

Sex organ functions in both men and women

Thyroid gland function

The conversion of food into energy (metabolism)

Water and osmolarity regulation in the body

Water balance via the control of reabsorption of water by the kidneys

Temperature regulation

Pituitary gland also makes endorphin to relieve pain and alter mood.

-wikipedia

So upper dantian meditations can regulate and rebalance the kidney function.

If you go get massages, avoid deep tissue massage. It should never be painful, and should always be very relaxing. If not, communicate with that massage therapist and demand what you're paying for.

Some ideas.

I would avoid fasting since this increases detoxification...when really what you probably want is nourishment, so that their function overall improves rather than diminishes. Bone broth and beef soup is good...and things like that. Celery is said to benefit the kidneys.

Thanks scotty. Yeah audiohealing, given your situation, i wouldnt recommend fasting. Sorry about that.

I'm only doing it cause i caught it early, and also, i fast yearly for weeks at a time so my body isn't very toxic, and its also used to fasting. It's what my body and guidance told me to do at this time.

btw my kidneys literally feel better every day Scotty. I can't cite sources or anything, but i think that fasting does strange things to the body beyond just detox.. i think it goes into repair mode, like on a cellular level, and heals extra rapidly. I am not really sure though, but i think thats what happens to me!! :D maybe i'm a freak... to much kuji-in hahahha

You know what, maybe you're right that fasting could actually help the kidneys. I have no idea...like you said, following your guidance and body's signals is important.

I strongly suggest that you look into the following herbs, to brew together (for 20 minutes) as tea. Get them organic if you can, of course. Essentially they are blood purifiers and diuretics, + much more:

(edit: do check with a doctor especially if you take other medications, as they may interact negatively.)

Plantain tea

http://www.herballegacy.com/Ahlborn_Medicinal.html

Echinacea

http://www.globalherbalsupplies.com/herb_information/echinacea.htm

Red Clover

http://www.natmedtalk.com/womens-health/19370-red-clover-benefits.html

(half way down the above link they talk about its use for men)

http://www.quality-nutritional-supplements.com/uses-of-red-clover.html

The red clover is especially for diuretic purposes, which may not have been mentioned in those links.

Some briefs from the above links:

"Red Clover offers nutrients galore

Red clover is a perennial herb that grows wild throughout North America, Europe

and Asia. The red flowers contain the therapeutic isoflavones. In addition to

its phytoestrogens, red clover is a valuable source of calcium, chromium,

magnesium, niacin, phosphorus, potassium, thiamine, and vitamin C.

Isoflavones are related to the flavonoid group and retain many of the group's

characteristics. They fight infection, suppress appetite, and are cleansing of

the blood. They have expectorant, antispasmodic, and relaxing affects, and can

be used for inflammatory bowel disease, kidney problems, liver disease, skin

disorders, and weakened immune system."

"Echinacea prevents the formation of an enzyme called hyaluronidase, which destroys a natural barrier between healthy tissue and damaging organisms.

Action:

alterative [an agent capable of favorably altering or changing unhealthy conditions of the body and tending to restore normal bodily function, usually by improving nutrition]

antibacterial [an agent that destroys bacteria; bactericide]

antibiotic [an agent that destroys or stops the growth of micro-organisms]

anti-microbial [an agent that destroys microbes]

antioxidant [contributing to the oxidation of free radicals which are believed to contribute to premature aging and dementia]

antiseptic [agent for destroying or inhibiting pathogenic or putrefactive bacteria] particularly for the Lymphatic System

antiviral [an agent that destroys viruses]

hormonal effect"

"Plantain is #1 in the field of blood poisoning treatment. You can see the healing at work. Swelling goes down and the “red” line recedes. Limbs poisoned can be saved using this herb. It is used as a poultice on the outside and taken as a tea on the inside. Michael Tierra, L.Ac., O.M.D. states that plantain is an herb that will “dry excess moisture and remove excess fat where toxins are retained.” (Tierra, p. 13)

Plantain is also a diuretic so is useful for kidney and bladder problems. It is taken throughout the day as a tea to help the kidneys and bladder. It is used in bed-wetting challenges. It also helps dropsy and water retention. Sometimes diuretics should be teamed with a demulcent herb to buffer the effects on the kidneys. There is no research or recommendations that taking plantain tea requires ones. Actually, plantain itself is a demulcent also. "

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness

Kidney Qi, the root, it rises water, which sustains life and gives birth. Excessive and constant fear take a big toll on kidney qi, especially knowing society's demands in relation to work, taxes, security, employment, money, etc.

And the karma you carry has a heavy component of fear (we all do), fear of losing our ego and not knowing what happens when you die. In other instances, countless times (past lifetimes) you were killed/murdered, tortured, eaten alive and so forth, all this huge negative energy becomes deeply crystallised, ingrained in the black light and passed on to the next incarnation. Hence the importance of purifying this most important organ and restore it to its original state.

Here's some good advice:

Black spirit (water, kidneys)

The zhi spirit lives in the kidneys and presides over the most inaccessible parts of the psyche, the instinctual responses of the sex organs, the biochemical intelligence of the endocrine system, and the knowing of our bones. The zhi connect us to the collective unconscious, the part of our psyche that draws us out of, and back into, the infinite.

The power of the zhi can be likened to the power of a hot spring, a geyser or the steaming vents of sulfurous fire that shoot up from the trenches of the deep ocean floor. This energy cannot be argued with. It emerges and bursts upward in a fantastic display of negentropic potency. In the human microcosm, it is related to the power of the life force, the instincts, the will, and the driving urgency of ambition. Zhi is the will to live, the unknowable mystery of quickening life. Zhi rises from the wellspring of our being and imbues us with the desire to grow, thrive, and live fully. We encounter this mystery each time a child is conceived, a seed sprouts, or a new creative impulse is engendered.

The zhi spirit is related to:

* Element: water

* Organ: kidneys

* Emotion: fear

* Psychological functions: instinctual power, aligned will and courage

* Psychospiritual issues: surrendering to Tao, returning to origin

* Chakra: first/second — root: illuminated body

* Virtue: wisdom

Signs and Symptoms of Zhi Disturbances

When the zhi is disturbed, people continually push themselves to the point of total exhaustion or have no initiative at all. They use chemical stimulants, emotional excitement, ambition, and desire to whip themselves forward. Results include rebound exhaustion, insomnia, hormonal conditions such as hyper — and hypothyroidism, high blood pressure, anxiety, chronic fatigue, and back pain. Other common symptoms are:

* general forgetfulness

* inability to memorize data

* lack of drive, motivation, and initiative

* inability to stay steady in pursuit of goals

* addictive patterns, lack of will power

* depression

* fear

* sleep disturbances

* sexual disturbances

* over-controlling nature

Spirit Level Signs:

* lack of heroism

* absolute despair, lack of hope of ever healing or changing

* inability to face fears, which interferes with expression of true self

* “con artist” mentality — rather than taking on our own lives, we try to wriggle around obstacles and ultimately short circuit the evolution of our own soul

* “identifying with God” — using will to try to control others and situations around us

* complete disintegration of the nervous system, which is one form of zhi disturbance (In earlier times this was labeled neurasthenia or a “nervous breakdown.”); the person’s “roots” are completely dry and there is no ability to hold steady or even to face the day-to-day challenges of living; this may be the result of years of addictive behavior or drug abuse, extreme stress, or the long term repression of instinctual impulses

* spiritual paralysis, an inability to move on or take on life. Our English expression “cold feet” is coincidentally apt as, in Chinese medicine, this psychological problem is often associated with a physical sensation of cold hands and feet!

Possible Causes:

Any time the will is employed to push the body beyond its own limits, the zhi are affected. The following list includes some of the most common causes of zhi disturbances in our culture:

* overwork

* excessive physical activity, i.e. excess marathon running, biking, weight lifting

* use of substances that impinge on adrenal function, such as caffeine, amphetamines, and steroids (the herb ephedra can also cause problems in this area)

* chronic disease

* addictive behavior of any kind, including excess sexual activity

* chronic fear and anxiety, particularly during childhood

* shock, trauma, and guilt

* multiple births and excess blood loss during periods

* a lack of discipline and encouragement during childhood

Ways to Cultivate the Zhi Spirit

The zhi is related to the water element and is connected to the organs of the kidney and bladder as well as the adrenal glands. It is also closely connected to the reproductive organs housed in the pelvic cauldron. Any physical disturbances that affect these organs will have an effect on the zhi. In Taoist alchemy, the connection between the jing of the sexual fluids and the zhi of the will is particularly stressed. This connection is reflected in Tantric practices where the male sexual fluids are contained during ejaculation so that they can circulate back into the body to nourish the essences and the will.

Healing the zhi must include learning to listen to the voices of the po and the shen, the wisdom of the body and of the heart, rather than acting solely out of our own will. In this way, we can learn to bring the will into alignment with our true strengths and capabilities. It also brings the strength of the will into the service of a higher purpose; the manifestation of personal destiny that is our mandate from heaven.

If you have a history of addictive drug use, especially excess caffeine, amphetamines, or steroids, consult with a traditional acupuncturist or Chinese herbalist who can support the healing of your water element and adrenal glands.

In general, the zhi spirit will respond well to the following practices:

* nourishing food, rest, meditation, and natural beauty

* calming physical exercise, such as yoga, tai ch’i and qi gong, which strengthen the spinal column and

align the posture; finding a practice and doing it on a regular basis is one of the best ways to

strengthen and stabilize the zhi

* avoidance of excess thinking, working, and craving; maintain as much as possible a reasonable schedule

and make special time each day to do nothing

* time spent with water; watch how water moves; drink plenty of water; keep a bowl of water with flowers

or just some special stones on your desk or by your bedside; watch rivers, oceans, ponds; let water be

your teacher

* foot massage; the kidney meridian begins at a point called Bubbling Spring located on the bottom of the

foot; acupressure massage on this point will relax the body while it stimulates the kidney qi and

revitalizes the zhi

* meditation and guided imagery; these are especially important for the zhi as a quiet mind and subdued

ego will allow the lower light to shine forth

What to Expect as You Heal and Cultivate your Zhi

As you become familiar with your zhi and learn to recognize and understand its messages, you will feel empowered instead of drained by life. Other changes may include:

* a sense of power and equilibrium

* increased serenity as you stop trying to control the world around you

* an increased sense of trust

* the ability to know and speak your authentic feelings and to stay with projects until they are complete

* less fear and anxiety, more excitement and curiosity

* courage to face the unknown

* less wobbling; a more definite sense of what matters to you

* increased initiative, motivation, and perseverance

* regard by others as someone to trust

Additional exercises: any moving qigong forms, standing and walking meditation & IMA; massaging the kidney 1 point (located in soles of the feet) and lower back area.

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/20751-work-the-essence-of-your-ling-spirithigh-consciousness/page__p__295233__fromsearch__1entry295233

Best of luck.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2

Drink the Gerson Therapy juices, if your drinking water and its not helping means your intestines are clogged and cannot absorb also maybe get into some coffee enemas to cleanse as it will detox the liver too. Look up Gerson Therapy, The beautiful Truth, The Gerson Miracle and dying to have known, these documentaries changed my way of thinking, eating and living using natural food for health and to defeat cancer.

Hope you get better...

Sifu Garry

• Like 1

I was thinking, also to my earlier list you could add Lemongrass. I take these herbs together fairly regularly myself for general cleansing, except for the echinacea since echinacea should not be taken regularly for prolonged periods of time. You might also add licorice root (for spleen) if you don't have any heart issues.

I add a large pinch of each to a tea ball, and 2 or 3 pinches of lemongrass since it's hard to get a hold of, put the ball in a tall mug of boiled water and cover it for 20 minutes before drinking to get the medicine out of the herbs. You could also steep them in a cooking pot and then reheat it on the stove (don't kill it in the microwave) later in the day.

For your situation taking it twice a day (is all I could recommend, though you might take it 3 for the first 5 days or so) and taking a one or two day break every week. It can take even 3 months for some herbs to show noticeable results, but given your condition and the effectiveness of these herbs they should help right away to cleanse your system(s), and will strengthen the organs moreso over time.

Again, Echinacea shouldn't be taken regularly for prolonged periods of time so as your condition gets better you could leave it out for a while. I would keep taking the rest as the condition disappears, but not as strictly, like once a day 4 times a week, and Echinacea when I need an immune boost for whatever reason.

The lemongrass gives it all a nice flavour and:

Health Benefits of Lemon Grass:

It contains an antibacterial and antifungal properties

It helps to detoxify the liver, pancreas, kidney, bladder and the digestive tract.

Helps boost the immune system

Helps reduce uric acid, cholesterol, excess fats

It helps alleviates indigestion and gastroenteritis.

Helps improve the skin by reducing acne and pimples

It helps tone the muscle and tissues.

Helps in menstrual troubles

Helps reduce blood pressure and improve blood circulation

Helps reduce cellulite

Act as sedative for the central nervous system.

May help prevent colon cancer.

Helps in reducing fevers

Help in flatulence and colic

Relieves arthritic pain and rheumatism

If your doctor knows anything about herbs (not likely, unfortunately) then you could double check with him or her for support..

(edited to remove sage (tea, not smudging sage which is toxic to ingest) recommendation since the rest should be taken more regularly than sage should be used)

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness
  • Like 1

I don't know if this will help for you, but if you can exchange energy with a fruit or flower tree you may be able to begin to feel the kidney's within, while repairing them.

beautiful thread!

Gerard, i especially enjoyed your post about Zhi, i really needed to hear that, as i am working with balancing my Zhi currently

at the end you mentioned walking meditations?

i might make a new thread about this, but i thought first i'd ask you

how should one walk? i try to keep my steps in time with my breath, and i'm curious what you Bums think?

thank you

~

Hi Audiohealing

Master Wang's class teaches organ techniques and using tree energy to boost the healing process. I went in the spring and have had some great results.

Also you might want to talk to Dr Kathy Li or her husband Dr Sun they are very nice.

Hope you feel better

Shawn

Good news everyone!

I had my scans done today and my kidney, liver and bladder are 100% healthy! I'm not experiencing anymore pain either!

All I did was up my qigong frequency to 4x a day, started doing dantien breathing and drank a ton of water and cranberry juice.

Booyah!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

• Like 4