For somewhat of a first definition I'll quote from the Satipathana-Sutta:

"What are the Four Establishments (of Mindfulness)?

A practitioner remains established in the observation of the body in the body, ... the feelings in the feelings, ... the mind in the mind, ... the objects of mind in the objects of mind, diligent, with clear understanding, mindful, having abandoned every craving and every distaste for this life."

So Mindfulness is more than just 'investigation of phenomena.' It also involves abandoning desire and aversion.

Something I've been especially mindful of recently is in regards to disputes (not necessarily successfully avoiding them) as disputes are generally about clinging to views which is generally about desire or aversion. Arguing is a matter of craving for other people to see what we see. Dropping this craving allows us to be still, like the lotus flower on top of the water, untouched by the water, to walk mindfully amongst ignorance, and contention.

What I see as the other side of Mindfulness, is awareness in the present. It is said that tranquility is required for deep insight. So the two together form 'Mindfulness,' following the quote above.

Some teachings in this regard which I've been especially aware of recently are the combination of:

Diamond Sutra

"Activate your mind without dwelling on anything"

Lankavatara Sutra:

"But (the mind-system) fails to see and understand that what it sees and discriminates and grasps is only a manifestation of its own activity and has no other basis, and so the mind goes on erroneously perceiving and discriminating differences of forms and qualities, not remaining still even for a minuit."

Dogen, Genjo Koan:

"When you find your place where you are, practice occurs, actualizing the fundamental point; for the place, the way, is neither large nor small, neither yours nor others'. The place, the way has not carried over from the past, and it is not merely arising now."

So to realize mind as it arises from phenomena, arising and passing with each one is spontaneous presence.

note:

These are just my thoughts. They have no authenticity or authority pertaining to the true meaning or teachings of Buddha.­

(edited to fix punctuation with English keyboard, and to add):

Anyone else have practices, stories, understandings, difficulties, suggestions, or comments?

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness
  • Like 1

Actually this is an interesting post for me.

It wouldn't be fair of me to speak to your post but I wanted to say that I did find value in it.

The past is already past -

dont try to regain it.

The present does not stay -

dont try to touch it.

From moment to moment

the future does not come -

dont think about it

beforehand.

Whatever comes to the eye,

leave it be.

There are no commandments

to be kept;

There's no filth to be cleansed.

With empty mind really penetrated,

the dharmas have no life.

When you can be like this,

you have completed

the ultimate attainment.

(Layman Pang)

I like very much Layman Pang's quote... your words somehow reminded me of it.

Here's what i can offer - Mindfulness is like using mind to penetrate mind, to bring oneself again and again to the present moment, until such time, after stabilizing one's effort to be constantly vigilant of how the world outside arise with thoughts, a day will come when the diligent practice of effortful watching will slowly diminish, to be gradually replaced by a new habit of effortless being. This is the zenith of mindfulness practice - from effortless being comes the cessation of notions of self and other, of dualistic view, which then helps cut the root of suffering.

From the Manual of Zen Buddhism, there's this saying from Daio Kokushi:

"There is a reality even prior to heaven and earth; Indeed, it has no form, much less a name; Eyes fail to see it - It has no voice for ears to detect. To call it Dao or Buddha violates its nature, for it then becomes like a visionary flower in the air. It is not Dao, nor Buddha, neither is it anything other than Dao or Buddha. Absolutely quiet, and yet illuminating in a mysterious way, it allows itself to be perceived only by the clear-eyed."

Edited by C T
  • Like 2

CT and DB

Thanks for those quotes and comments. I think a combination of these responses made me think about how it sometimes said that our senses and the Buddha are also indistinguishable. What I'm thinking is meant by this is that our original nature is in this spontaneous awareness. When we are there, we have Buddhas eyes, Buddhas nose, etc.., and everyone has this, everyone senses spontaneously, and everyone has Buddha Mind.

Marblehead

Thanks. There are also many many passages in The Chuang Tzu that speak to Mindfulness very directly.. Like the same side of two coins of the same value from the same country and the same century, in the same hand, paying for the same.. yeah....

Being aware of anything that interacts and triggers your mind (you, here, now) and watch it come and go.

This processing will eventually lead to enlightenment lifetime after lifetime of internal cultivation.

Being aware of anything that interacts and triggers your mind (you, here, now) and watch it come and go.

This processing will eventually lead to enlightenment lifetime after lifetime of internal cultivation.

So easy to say and so hard to do. But I'm slowly getting better at it.

• Like 1

I came across something yesterday which really hit me:

"you can cause just as much damage by mindless action as by unkindness"

kind of puts an interesting "moral" element to mindfulness too, in that it does good for people other than ourselves as well.

This especially hit home when a call center person's error ended up causing me big problem.

I suppose this can add mindfulness to part of metta practice...

Dogen, Genjo Koan:

"When you find your place where you are, practice occurs, actualizing the fundamental point; for the place, the way, is neither large nor small, neither yours nor others'. The place, the way has not carried over from the past, and it is not merely arising now."

Practice is just this finding out herein; your place neither carrying over from the past nor just arising is the fundamental point.

Investigating phenomena is finding the fundamental point actualizing within your place of non-arising.

Finding out in terms of phenomena is just your place where you are. Finding this is not in things, but in finding itself. Finding is the foundation of practice, where there is neither large nor small, neither yours nor others'.

It might be possible for people unfamiliar with Dogen's emphasis to mistakenly consider that the place, the way that has not carried over from the past, and is not merely arising now, is in terms of the absolute.

It seems the fundamental point being actualization of finding your place is practice occurring. Actualizing the place neither large nor small, neither yours nor others', neither carrying over from the past nor just arising now is mindful practice of the fundamental point.