mewtwo

why did lao tzu repeat himself?

The current scholarly thinking is that Dao De Jing was put together from a number of sources over a period of time, hence repetition as well as other types of variation.

All great teachers understand that more than anything else, repetition helps people to learn a lesson.

"I will not pass notes in class."

(God I wish they had cut and paste for blackboards.)

Aaron

• Like 1

I notice a lot of masters repeat certain points quite a few times. This is because they are worth remembering.

So in studieing the tao te ching i was wondering why he repeats himself alot in the tao te ching?

It is because that was the peculiarity way of writing in classic text.

1. No! It is because we are goddamn stupid thick-headed inconceivably dense, ignorant foolish people. And we're quite comfortable with that!! haha!!❤

2. There's nothing else worth talking about. Is there?

3. Obviously, this is a person who deliberately wanted us to experience this.

4. We all seem to talk a lot more about it than this person did, if you think about it!!

(ed note: add points 2, 3 & 4)

Edited by deci belle

The current scholarly thinking is that Dao De Jing was put together from a number of sources over a period of time, hence repetition as well as other types of variation.

Yeah but that is also debateable.

Edited by mewtwo

i think deci belle had it right with point 1 up there. People are fools.

The ideas aren't easily grasped, and if you say them once, then the mind thinks "oh i understand that" and moves on, meanwhile, it hasn't realized anything. The habits remain and the lifestyle doesn't change. So by repeating it he forces us to realize "oh he is trying to make some kind of point here" or "theres something deeper he is talking about" or some such reflection on what he is saying.

i have quite a mind for the mystical concepts, nondualistic nonsense and all that, but the daodejing is still mystifying. I don't think it could be written any other way but to come at the reader from all different angles about the same issues, using different metaphors and turn of phrase, but saying the same thing over and over and over. Thats the only way a person could possibly begin to understand the sublime truth of it.