Sign in to follow this  
buffalotao

Hello From Buffalo!

Hi, I'm a new member and just wanted to introduce myself! Krissy, from Buffalo NY and I'm new to studying Taoism as I'm technically a practicing Catholic. I can't wait to talk to other tao thinkers! You should see the confused looks I get from people when I mention the word. Anyways, Hi :)

I do have a question for anyone who is available. After reading a few books and sources on Taoism, I have found that there is a mixed response to viewing the tao as a spirit. In other words, can you be a taoist and believe in the Lord?

My understanding is that Taoism doesn't much concern itself with what created the universe, it's concerned primarily with what's going on IN the universe, and how a deeper understanding of our place in it can bring freedom, happiness and enlightenment. Empty yourself, and the universe will fill you with all kinds of goodness!

I don't know if that's incompatible with Catholicism or not, but on the surface it doesn't seem to be.

Welcome! I'm new here too.

Edited by Mitochondriac

A happy welcome, Krissy

to your question: Can you believe in the Lord?

It is said that the Tao that can be named is not the Tao.

And it is said that God said to not have a picture of him...

its heading into a similar direction, isn't it?

with Smiles

Harry

Thanks Mitochondriac & sunshine for the replies!

It seems to be more important to go in with a clear canvas and see what the colors paint for you. If I recognize its beauty as something familiar than I suppose that will be my comfort. Thanks for your thoughts - I have to say... it has been a refreshing experience to learn more about the tao and meditation. It compliments my heart already full of faith.

Hi Krissy,

Mantak Chia is a Christian and a Taoist, so for him the two are compatible.

If you are interested in taking some Healing Tao classes in Buffalo, there is a senior practicioner from Toronto who comes down to Buffalo once a month and teaches a few hours. I could get you hooked up with her if you'd like, just PM me.

Chris

Hi Krissy,

Mantak Chia is a Christian and a Taoist, so for him the two are compatible.

If you are interested in taking some Healing Tao classes in Buffalo, there is a senior practicioner from Toronto who comes down to Buffalo once a month and teaches a few hours. I could get you hooked up with her if you'd like, just PM me.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I tried to send you a PM, but since I'm pretty new to this site, I'm not sure if it was successful or not. I'm definitely interested in finding out more info about Healing Tao classes in Buffalo, so give me a shout and let me know. Thanks!

Krissy

Hi, I'm a new member and just wanted to introduce myself! Krissy, from Buffalo NY and I'm new to studying Taoism as I'm technically a practicing Catholic. I can't wait to talk to other tao thinkers! You should see the confused looks I get from people when I mention the word. Anyways, Hi :)

I do have a question for anyone who is available. After reading a few books and sources on Taoism, I have found that there is a mixed response to viewing the tao as a spirit. In other words, can you be a taoist and believe in the Lord?

Hi Krissy;

Welcome to the forum. I'm new too. You might try reading the 5 classics for possible

answers to your question. I personally don't have any religious affiliations but I suspect

that being open minded and willing to explore new ideas is a key ingredient to living the

Tao. You seem to have a fair amount of both of these characteristics.

I look forward to learning from you and hope that I am able to make some sort of

contribution to your purpose.

Footpad

Sign in to follow this