ATMA

Imagination & The Ego

Ahoy hoy.

This thread is for the discussion of our personal theories as well as established doctrines/philosophies pertaining to the imagination.This idea just welled up on me so I have only questions and no theories at the moment.

Nevertheless I offer them up for discussion:

-what is imagination?

-is it a part of the ego?

-is it a separate thing from the ego entirely?

-is it truer then the ego?

-is it part of the true self?

-how powerful is imagination?

-how do dreams relate to it?

-if you can imagine something does that mean it is possible?

-Or is imagination just an extension of the monkey mind? The ego's higher-brain? An illusion which builds and walls the self?

Edited by ATMA

It is part of the ego, indeed, a mental fabrication as you are seeking something that "benefits you" or "the others" in relation to you (satisfaction/instant gratification).

Edited by Gerard

While it is true most of the many phantasmagoria that goes on in our perceptions remain in that space, the few that leak out into reality really stand out as amazing innovations. How do you suppose we are here using a computer?

-what is imagination? One of the natural processes of the brain.

-is it a part of the ego? Yes

-is it a separate thing from the ego entirely? Yes

-is it truer then the ego? Sometimes

-is it part of the true self? Yes

-how powerful is imagination? Depends on the individual

-how do dreams relate to it? I think the processes are linked

-if you can imagine something does that mean it is possible? Possibly but not necessarily

-Or is imagination just an extension of the monkey mind? No (with qualifications)

The ego's higher-brain? Naw

An illusion which builds and walls the self? No

All the above answers may be a figment of my imagination.

i will take my stab since i like to think about these things

-what is imagination?

the part of the mind that can originate novelty, or conceive of what it has little precedent or logical cause for.

-is it a part of the ego?

no. Be careful with that term here tho, cause some daoists refuse to address the idea at all. I will say for clarity's sake that i use it to talk about the conditioned self or false self.

-is it a separate thing from the ego entirely?

i think that it is fundamental to creating the ego, which is a construct of the mind, an imagining of its own sort if you will. That is to say that the false self is something like a mirage that is created and sustained by the imagination, and believed to be the real oasis by the rest of the mind.

-is it truer then the ego?

yes. people who have dissolved their egos still imagine things, from all reports.

-is it part of the true self?

i think so..

-how powerful is imagination?

thats like saying how much can a bicep lift... it depends on whose imagination you are talking about, how exercised it is, and how connected to other parts of the self like willpower and intent it is.

-how do dreams relate to it?

dreaming reality seems to open the floodgates of it, and allow it to take part in the generation of the reality experienced

-if you can imagine something does that mean it is possible?

obviously not. i can imagine jumping off a roof and defying gravity but thats just my imagination.

-Or is imagination just an extension of the monkey mind? The ego's higher-brain? An illusion which builds and walls the self?

I think the imagination is not the heart-mind or monkey mind but an overactive monkey mind can feed off an active imagination. Whether one uses their imagination to free or wall in the self is a matter of intentionality and the coordinated effort of the rest of their mind and being as well, so theres no simple answer to that question. It depends on the individual.

I'd say imagination is what results after ego has been intentionally set aside. I think by 'getting ourselves out of the way' (our forward thinking yang thought that try and plan everything out) we open ourselves to the creative energy that underlies everything and is available to everyone.

The most interesting art I've done is that which I 'allow' to create itself as it goes along. The work that is all planned out ahead of time suffers from lack of true creativity.

Hi Manitou,

I realize I have been hard on you a few times but I cannot apologize.

However, I must also point out when I think you got something absolutely right.

... we open ourselves to the creative energy that underlies everything and is available to everyone.

This is one of those times. Your wording is perfect!

Ahoy hoy.

This thread is for the discussion of our personal theories as well as established doctrines/philosophies pertaining to the imagination.This idea just welled up on me so I have only questions and no theories at the moment.

Nevertheless I offer them up for discussion:

-what is imagination? a nice place to visit(inspiration), but not to live(escapism).

-is it a part of the ego? yes, narcissism is imaginary inflated self self importance

-is it a separate thing from the ego entirely? nothing is really separate ever.

-is it truer then the ego? bad question, false dichotomy, both are subjective.

-is it part of the true self? implies a fake self, another false dichotomy, sure sometimes we can act phony, but phoniness is as much part of the true self as anything.

-how powerful is imagination? very and like most powerful things it can be creative or destructive.

-how do dreams relate to it? subconscious component

-if you can imagine something does that mean it is possible? often not in this lifetime

-Or is imagination just an extension of the monkey mind? The ego's higher-brain? An illusion which builds and walls the self? I concur with anamatva's answer on this one- well said.