konchog uma

Kuan Yin Magnetic Qigong

i did a search for this and nobody really had a thread although Trunk talks about it in his personal practice thread. So i thought i would start a thread, since i ordered the DVD and have been practicing this qigong.

Does anyone else practice this qigong? I found the teaching style to be really too loose for me, but after watching it 2 or 3 times and asking LaoXie a couple questions, i was able to take some notes which i have been working from.

Just going from the dvd, I missed the fact that the heels are supposed to be off the floor for the duration of the practice, which he said in email is crucial to grounding the head energy. And he doesn't really say which way to rotate, but he stresses intuition and developing a whole-brained awareness which just knows, and so i followed my instincts and rotate clockwise to ground the head energy downward. Any comments?

The whole practice is about developing whole brain awareness, which is good. Long time meditators have been observed to have a sort of "fused" R and L hemispheres brain, with neural activity across the corpus collosum increasing dramatically. Google "MRI meditators" to find some of the results of the studies, theres a lot of different things happening in the brain when we meditate. I think in 2007 or so, some monks from Tibet with over 10,000 hours logged were studied, and it was reading about that where i heard that the activity across the corpus callosum was increased. Can't find the link to that particular article, so appologies. Anyway, this qigong sort of works in a direct way to synchronize the hemispheres and cause the brainwaves of the two sides to phase-lock. Its really a great feeling when you get it to work!

Well, i just wanted to start a thread for people who have this dvd or know this practice to share info, cause the DGS vid is a little loose and hard to follow.

has anyone who has done this practice for a while noticed anything profound? I am especially curious about the cultivation of the one sense (of great bandwidth, as opposed to five or six senses of lesser bandwidth each).

:)

• Like 3

From the Dragon Gate Sanctuary page on my site, re: Kwan Yin Magnetic Qigong (ordering info there also):

KYMG has a number of parts, individually simple, that are keys to a series of central issues. Don't overwhelm yourself by trying to learn it all at once; don't rush beyond the pace of your own process. Just like learning anything with a number of parts: Practice small managable pieces, either exclusively or by emphasis, within a single session. Gradually over time your skills will build and you'll become fluent with more of the whole.

Plenty to discover about this set of practices, just thought I'd post that for now.
cool.gif

Edited by Trunk
  • Like 1

i did a search for this and nobody really had a thread although Trunk talks about it in his personal practice thread. So i thought i would start a thread, since i ordered the DVD and have been practicing this qigong.

Does anyone else practice this qigong? I found the teaching style to be really too loose for me, but after watching it 2 or 3 times and asking LaoXie a couple questions, i was able to take some notes which i have been working from.

Just going from the dvd, I missed the fact that the heels are supposed to be off the floor for the duration of the practice, which he said in email is crucial to grounding the head energy. And he doesn't really say which way to rotate, but he stresses intuition and developing a whole-brained awareness which just knows, and so i followed my instincts and rotate clockwise to ground the head energy downward. Any comments?

He does mention very briefly the lifting of the heels from what I remember. That's very interesting, it's kind of like combining RP with Yi Gong. But I'm not sure that would ground the energy, more activating the bodies polarities into opening the central channel.

Can you share a little more about what Sifu Matsuo said in the e-mail? Thanks.

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

He does mention very briefly the lifting of the heels from what I remember. That's very interesting, it's kind of like combining RP with Yi Gong. But I'm not sure that would ground the energy, more activating the bodies polarities into opening the central channel.

Can you share a little more about what Sifu Matsuo said in the e-mail? Thanks.

oh yeah, he says it, i just missed it. ("very briefly" was my take on it too..) But i didn't really get it until i sent him an email asking about head energy, and how to keep energy from accumulating, and he said that the body mudra was really important and that keeping the feet on their balls and the knees up grounded and activated the psychic channels of the crown and third eye.

I also asked him about which direction to rotate and he didn't say that one mattered more than the other, he said clockwise grounds, nourishes, and strengthens - while counterclockwise evolves, transforms, breaks the energetic shell of the body by counter rotation.

Those were the only things i asked him about, so it wasn't a long email. I sent him another asking him about the correlation between the "heaven eye" at the middle of the hairline and the "wisdom eye" or "dharma eye" in buddhism. I don't really expect an answer tho since he's not a buddhist... he's probably thinking "wtf im a daoist?!" I just had to ask tho.

I don't really look at KYMQ like its part of the kunlun family. The breathing is different than red phoenix, and since youre the second person to ask me today about the similarities between KYMQ and red phoenix, i have to say they are nothing alike. I don't think LaoXie learned this qigong from Max, but I am not sure, he doesn't say. And its not really like yigong either, because while the movement is supposed to be gentle and fluid and effortless, its certainly not spontaneous, there is a form, so this is not a formless form. Yigong is a formless form.

So to me, this is its own practice with different methods and different goals than kunlun practices or yigong. The purpose of red phoenix is to generate a cool downward flow of energy like water, and the purpose of KYMQ is to synchronize the hemispheres of the brain in order to fuse them into a "whole brain" (my choice of words not LaoXie's) by increasing activity across the corpus callosum and, what i experience as phaselocking the wavelengths of the hemispheres into one wavelength of brain activity. It also aims to awaken the "one sense" (LaoXie's choice of words) as opposed to the five (or six) senses that we commonly think of. Red phoenix doesn't do any of that, so just because they are brow and crown practices doesn't make them related, even distantly. I don't see them that way at all.

If i get an answer about the heaven eye, i'll let you bums know..

anyone have a good link as to what areas of the brain do exactly what? I'd like to look that up.

• Like 3

the lifting of the heels ..

FootHeelRaised.jpg

Heels raised, not tensed, soles relaxed-open-to-the-earth. imho

the purpose of KYMQ is to synchronize the hemispheres of the brain...

I see that as one of the purposes. An important one, though in the video LaoXie does caution not to do over-do that part. Other purposes... harmonizing energy into the central channel all up & down the entire length, developing each of the centers. I think that plenty of time could be spent working on sections of the torso (below the brain :)).

Just my perspective. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

FootHeelRaised.jpg

I see that as one of the purposes. An important one, though in the video LaoXie does caution not to do over-do that part. Other purposes... harmonizing energy into the central channel all up & down the entire length, developing each of the centers. I think that plenty of time could be spent working on sections of the torso (below the brain :)).

thanks! I really appreciate your perspective cause you've spent more time with it than me.

I have been looking at it as sort of a brain based practice, from seeing the two spheres (in the mystery palms) as right and left hemisphere related, which then become one. Trunk, do you work with the chakras when you do this? You could do 7 rounds, one for each chakra. Or are you just focused on different centers when you rotate the spine? Can you clarify what you meant by developing the other centers?

oh yeah, he says it, i just missed it. ("very briefly" was my take on it too..) But i didn't really get it until i sent him an email asking about head energy, and how to keep energy from accumulating, and he said that the body mudra was really important and that keeping the feet on their balls and the knees up grounded and activated the psychic channels of the crown and third eye.

I also asked him about which direction to rotate and he didn't say that one mattered more than the other, he said clockwise grounds, nourishes, and strengthens - while counterclockwise evolves, transforms, breaks the energetic shell of the body by counter rotation.

Those were the only things i asked him about, so it wasn't a long email. I sent him another asking him about the correlation between the "heaven eye" at the middle of the hairline and the "wisdom eye" or "dharma eye" in buddhism. I don't really expect an answer tho since he's not a buddhist... he's probably thinking "wtf im a daoist?!" I just had to ask tho.

I don't really look at KYMQ like its part of the kunlun family. The breathing is different than red phoenix, and since youre the second person to ask me today about the similarities between KYMQ and red phoenix, i have to say they are nothing alike. I don't think LaoXie learned this qigong from Max, but I am not sure, he doesn't say. And its not really like yigong either, because while the movement is supposed to be gentle and fluid and effortless, its certainly not spontaneous, there is a form, so this is not a formless form. Yigong is a formless form.

So to me, this is its own practice with different methods and different goals than kunlun practices or yigong. The purpose of red phoenix is to generate a cool downward flow of energy like water, and the purpose of KYMQ is to synchronize the hemispheres of the brain in order to fuse them into a "whole brain" (my choice of words not LaoXie's) by increasing activity across the corpus callosum and, what i experience as phaselocking the wavelengths of the hemispheres into one wavelength of brain activity. It also aims to awaken the "one sense" (LaoXie's choice of words) as opposed to the five (or six) senses that we commonly think of. Red phoenix doesn't do any of that, so just because they are brow and crown practices doesn't make them related, even distantly. I don't see them that way at all.

If i get an answer about the heaven eye, i'll let you bums know..

anyone have a good link as to what areas of the brain do exactly what? I'd like to look that up.

It's very difficult to believe that KYMQ has no relationship to Kunlun. There are so many similarities.

The lifting of the heels and placing the palms one over another across the body is the basic posture for yi gong. The transition to Golden Flower Mudra placed at the third eye is also taught by Max. Same mudra, same method. The breathing is the same, just that the flow is opposite of the RP. Uniting the hemispheres, from what I recall from one of Max's lectures is also a purpose of RP, as well as releasing DMT from the third eye, which Sifu Matsuo likewise mentions in the dvd. The Kwan Yin mudras are identical to RP mudras.

The Yi Gong posture generates a type of bliss energy in the body and opens the central channels. It's not just a formless form movement. That energy is utilized by the RP completing the alchemy.

It could be from a different teacher and lineage, but knowing that Max was one of his teachers, it's difficult to say they have nothing to do with one another.

Which body mudra was Sifu Matsuo writing about as really important?

Edited by Lucky7Strikes
  • Like 2

It's very difficult to believe that KYMQ has no relationship to Kunlun. There are so many similarities.

The lifting of the heels and placing the palms one over another across the body is the basic posture for yi gong. The transition to Golden Flower Mudra placed at the third eye is also taught by Max. Same mudra, same method. The breathing is the same, just that the flow is opposite of the RP. Uniting the hemispheres, from what I recall from one of Max's lectures is also a purpose of RP, as well as releasing DMT from the third eye, which Sifu Matsuo likewise mentions in the dvd. The Kwan Yin mudras are identical to RP mudras.

The Yi Gong posture generates a type of bliss energy in the body and opens the central channels. It's not just a formless form movement. That energy is utilized by the RP completing the alchemy.

It could be from a different teacher and lineage, but knowing that Max was one of his teachers, it's difficult to say they have nothing to do with one another.

Which body mudra was Sifu Matsuo writing about as really important?

those are good points, maybe they are more related than i had considered.

the heels and knees up are the body mudra that he was talking about.

something missed here is 'Nei Gong' as Being different from Chi Gong. Chi Gong is gross ELECTRICAL POTENTIAL of the physical (polarized) form -BODY NEI-GONG is exacted magnetic potential (heart) brought down to physicality for evolution. You keep (for years now) comparing "Nei Gong" with "Chi Gong" Are you ever so much evolved when you cannot discern the difference between the two? Please compare NEI GONG with CHI GONG

something missed here is 'Nei Gong' as Being different from Chi Gong. Chi Gong is gross ELECTRICAL POTENTIAL of the physical (polarized) form -BODY NEI-GONG is exacted magnetic potential (heart) brought down to physicality for evolution. You keep (for years now) comparing "Nei Gong" with "Chi Gong" Are you ever so much evolved when you cannot discern the difference between the two? Please compare NEI GONG with CHI GONG

something missed here is 'Nei Gong' as Being different from Chi Gong. ..

Please relieve us of our ignorance :D ...

if you would kindly let us know how you see those two in relation to KYMQ(?).

~ edit ~

p.s. to all

please don't quote the entire unless good writing necessitates. :)

• Like 2

Posts 14 and 20:

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/19822-the-chinese-difinition-of-chi-kung/

Neigong can be defined differently, depending on which school is using the term. Your definition is one, but it is not the only one. I have met several Chinese lineage holders that state neigong is the use of yang-solar and yin-gravitational energy. Others state differently.

• Like 3

Maybe the similarities between KYMQ and kunlun are due to their both having a history from Maoshan

???

Sorry for stating immature opinions, I really didn't consider all the similarities, like mudras and all the others lucky7strikes listed. Having thought about it, even though they feel totally different, I can see a lot of relationships if i look for them.

So maybe someone knows for sure but it isn't me

Trunk,

I was wondering why you strongly recommended this practice, but you were quicker and answered my question before i posted it.

What would you recommend - based on your experience - as a moving complement to inject between multiple sessions of long sitting practice?

Mandrake

FootHeelRaised.jpg

I have been looking at it as sort of a brain based practice, from seeing the two spheres (in the mystery palms) as right and left hemisphere related, which then become one.

Broader, imho, the hands do relate to the R&L sides of the body in general and having those polarities interact and integrate is... well, that's a primary dynamic that makes this qigong tick. :) So, yeah, the R&L integration but for as much of the body as you can get to, not just the brain.

Trunk, do you work with the chakras when you do this? You could do 7 rounds, one for each chakra. ...

Yes, I do work w/ the chakras/centers. The way that LaoXie shows in the video does a sort of expanding ~ concentrating action w/ the centers, very effective.

I don't do 7 rounds, and generally have no preset amount of time to do it. I just work on stuff until I feel I've had enough. Same thing about finding potent and/or stuck places to work on along the central channel: mostly by feel. Work your way up, "oh, there's something there that I want to work on" and just do, as long as you feel is right. After many sessions, working on the pieces that you find, things gradually come together a bit more. Give it time.

What would you recommend - based on your experience - as a moving complement to inject between multiple sessions of long sitting practice?

In general: No quick movements. Deliberate stuff that assists re-integrating the subtle energies and quiet consciousness of still sitting w/ the body. Also of course, exercises that move the fluids and tissues, and perhaps ease physical blockages pain that sometimes occurs during sitting.

more specific examples:

Walking.

Joint rotations of the various, including squats.

Qigong type movements (nothing brusque, nothing real fast).

Stretching.

Important to maintain your steadied focus as you integrate it with whatever exercises.

• Like 3

Hi Trunk,

Glad to hear the methods Sifu Chris teaches are working for you.

Personally, I am very happy with what I learned from Max and Sifu Jenny but cool to hear you explore that system.

Edited by Cameron

Thanks Trunk

M

In general: No quick movements. Deliberate stuff that assists re-integrating the subtle energies and quiet consciousness of still sitting w/ the body. Also of course, exercises that move the fluids and tissues, and perhaps ease physical blockages pain that sometimes occurs during sitting.

more specific examples:

Walking.

Joint rotations of the various, including squats.

Qigong type movements (nothing brusque, nothing real fast).

Stretching.

Important to maintain your steadied focus as you integrate it with whatever exercises.

Broader, imho, the hands do relate to the R&L sides of the body in general and having those polarities interact and integrate is... well, that's a primary dynamic that makes this qigong tick. :) So, yeah, the R&L integration but for as much of the body as you can get to, not just the brain.

intuitively, i think thats good advice about the whole body, not just the hemispheres.. thanks! I look forward to expanding what i've been doing with it. Thats just the sort of feedback i had hoped this thread would yield, so I really appreciate it.

Yes, I do work w/ the chakras/centers. The way that LaoXie shows in the video does a sort of expanding ~ concentrating action w/ the centers, very effective.

I don't do 7 rounds, and generally have no preset amount of time to do it. I just work on stuff until I feel I've had enough. Same thing about finding potent and/or stuck places to work on along the central channel: mostly by feel. Work your way up, "oh, there's something there that I want to work on" and just do, as long as you feel is right. After many sessions, working on the pieces that you find, things gradually come together a bit more. Give it time.

Again, thanks trunk :) that's all really helpful. I've been working on an emotional stagnation spot between my shoulder blades with yoga and meditation, and last time i did the KYMQ it really helped soften it up.

I know what you mean about things coming together... I will give it more time. Its a great practice so far, and i've only begun to scratch the surface. :)

Hey Cam,

Glad likewise that you have found a path with Max and Sifu Jenny that works for you, as I know it does for many. ... and your rather spectacular global adventures. :)

sincerely and kind regards,

Keith

If north = top, south = bottom, the earth, then, rotates counter clockwise, and rotating clockwise, against the flow, creates grounding and firm rooting... no?

Question:

If the intuition is granted sufficient focus, practice, energy, and commitment, is it sufficent alone to cultivate mastery in any otherwise unknown field?

Bouncin' in and out of here:

I once read that Sufis believe all things in nature rotate counter-clockwise, on their way back to source. I have been taught elsewhere that clockwise rotation is for creation, downward flow and grounding.

Look forward to seeing what other people say. This would be a great separate topic, probably!

• Like 1

Thought I'd give this thread a *bump* before new year's. smile.gif

Kwan Yin Magnetic Qigong can be applied w/ the feet. biggrin.gif (This is just something that I came up with, btw, using the principles and basic techniques I learned from LaoXie's dvd and applying to the feet.) There are centers below the pelvis...

LegCenters.jpgMagneticFoot.jpgzz_basic_lower.jpg

Have fun!

Happy new year! biggrin.gif

Edited by Trunk
  • Like 2