Sign in to follow this  
deci belle

Officer Xi

There are many prescriptions and methods in the world. Some value darkness, some value light; some value strength, some value weakness. If you cling to them, they are all occupations; if you don't cling, they're all the Way.

The Way ultimately cannot be attained; what can be attained is called virtue, it is not called the Way. The Way ultimately cannot be practiced; what can be practice is called practice, it is not called the Way. Sages use what can be attained and practiced to live well, and use what cannot be attained or practiced to die well.

After hearing the Way, those who contrive anything or cling to anything are relying on the human; those who do not contrive anything or cling to anything are relying on the divine. Whatever is contrived will inevitably fail, and whatever one clings to will inevitably be lost. So "if you hear the Way in the morning, it's alright to die that night."

Obliteration of the whole mental state makes a sage (this is no mind; this is not insensitive oblivion); goodness of the whole mental state makes a savant; badness of the whole mental state makes a petty person. Those whose whole mental state is obliterated have gone from being to nonbeing; this cannot be pointed out. Those whose whole mental state is good or bad produce being from nonbeing— this cannot be concealed. Goodness and badness imply having knowledge. All mobile creatures have this. Those whose whole mental state is obliterated are considered to have no knowledge— the Way is everywhere in the world.

Don't think the Way is accomplished by diligence because sages endeavor to practice it tirelessly. Don't think the Way is attained by clinging because sages keep to it firmly, unchanging. Sages' diligent practice is like shooting an arrow— it goes by itself, one does not put it into practice oneself. Sages' firm discipline is like gripping an arrow— it is kept by itself, one does not keep it oneself.

If you seek the Way by sayings or practices, learning or knowledge, you'll toss and turn and never attain. If you realize sayings are like the babbling of a fountain, realize practices are like the flight of a bird, realize learning is like grasping shadows, and realize knowledge is like interpreting dreams, you stop entirely and don't keep them in mind; then the Way will come and accord.

This is an excerpt from "One World", the first section of the 13th century classic Wenshi's Classic On Reality, from The Way of the World, said to have been originally entitled Keeper of the Pass; translated by Thomas Cleary.

(ed note: danged typos in first paragraph and last sentence)

Edited by deci belle
  • Like 4

This is an excerpt from "One World", the first section of the 13th century classic Wenshi's Classic On Reality, from The Way of the World, said to have been originally entitled Keeper of the Pass; translated by Thomas Cleary.

Yes, a nice mixture of Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu thoughts.

Wonderful excerpt deci belle!

I'm not normally a big fan of Cleary's books but I may just go out and buy this one.

Is the rest of it worthwhile?

Yes! There are some fantastic commentary on LaoTzu from before the time it was compiled into chapters and revered as it is today. It's very fashionably thin. I wish it was twice as thick! heehee❤

ed note: I just had to add the word, "fashionably".

Edited by deci belle

This rings in me like an elucidation of the first chapter of the Tao Te Ching, may have to track this one down as well!

(ed note: nice use of fashionably deci belle, i got all inspired and thought i'd go for broke and use 'elucidation')

Sign in to follow this