Sign in to follow this  
Immortal4life

Marblehead's Challenge

A while back this individual requested that I find him examples of Tai Chi Sword. At the time I was like, too bad I'm too busy and I posted all of this in the past and it is still available if you do a search, but today I remembered the request.

Surprise me with a really good Tai Chi Sword demonstration and I might watch it three or four times. (Especially if you can find a good Two Sword Tai Chi demonstration.)

How is this one for you? The Chen Straight Sword is one of the great sword sets. The family style is the real old style martial arts.

Example of double straight sword

Edited by Immortal4life
  • Like 3

Gee whiz...

I thought he would have to get through a whole gangsta rap video :D

Love you Marblehead, no disrespect intended

:ninja:

How is this one for you? The Chen Straight Sword is one of the great sword sets. The family style is the real old style martial arts.

Yes. That is excellent! A very nice mixture/development of styles and form. And the young man is very good, I must say. (I , of course, am too old for many of the positions he attained.)

Thanks for taking the time to find that.

Yes, it is different working out with a practice sword (he was using a practice sword) than it is working out with a real sword because the real one weigh about six times more than the practice swords do.

Yes Sifusufi, I forgive you. Don't be sitting on any swords now, Okay?

And the young man is very good, I must say.

Young Woman.

(I , of course, am too old for many of the positions he attained.)

You sure about that?

Okay. Woman. Don't tell her I called her a man. She might give me a woopping.

Yes, I have seen that video of the elderly gentleman before. He had been doing that all his life. I didn't start until I was in my fifties. Big difference there.

That's just another excuse IMO. Sure it will not be easy, and will of course take time, but if you learn the correct methods you should be fine going as low as you want. With correct practice you can gradually go lower and lower, without pulling anything and without hurting your knees.

The problem is, most alleged Tai Chi instructors don't have the correct methods for allowing older people to go into low stances without encountering problems.

The most difficult part will be knowing who is good and who is pretending, to find the correct methods and teaching. The pretenders far out number the lineage holders of lineage systems.

The first piece of advice is to in general, keep the knee above the foot and don't go past the toes. Beyond that will take instruction by a legitimate teacher in person, to get your body and directions of force aligned to the proper angles, in order to get a feeling of pushing or penging out, but also maintain a feeling of pulling inwards, with the knees.

In fighting you won't usually go as low as in form. The main fucntion in my undestanding of low stances, is to make faster progress, get stronger, and get more into the earth.

Edited by Immortal4life

You may well be right but I'm still not going to do it. Hehehe.

My two sword Tai Chi, bad as it might be, along with stretching exercises I do are enough for my needs. Sure, I would like to get better with the two sword Tai Chi. Maybe one day; maybe not.

That's really not true, you know. If you do and fail then all you did was try. It doesn't take much knowledge, experience or wisdom to fail.

I have mentioned this a number of time before but it seems fitting here: We should know our capacities and capabilities. If we know ourself we will have far fewer failures.

So you younger people, sure, go ahead and test your personal limits. I have already tested nearly all of mine and I no longer put myself in harm's way.

• Like 1

So you younger people, sure, go ahead and test your personal limits. I have already tested nearly all of mine and I no longer put myself in harm's way.

Marblehead's tip of the day for the younger posters.

:lol:

Marblehead's tip of the day for the younger posters.

:lol:

Yeah, I am full of tips.

Edit to add:

Watch what you are thinking!!!

Edited by Marblehead

Sign in to follow this