Sign in to follow this  
lazy cloud

Going Tribal?

www.ic.org

Howdy Folks,

I expect that this subject has been discussed on this forum. With 2012 being 55 or so days away now...I hope that Ideas can be exchanged on this thread

that Share experience, insights, innovations, dealing with special needs, and other thoughts about Intentional Communities Co-ops, Communes, Eco-villages, Retreats, Monasteries?

Also perhaps to establish some network connections between communities for trade/barter/educational/skill purposes.

In my neck of the woods a few of us are taking actions, discussions, transactions with a view to an uncertain future. Luck favors the prepared.

I will start the thread off by saying that my home group will have Natural Resources from Appalachian forests to include but not limited to,

clean spring waters, herbs, wildlife, tillable and wooded lands, caves, and backwoods skills, farm skills.

Our group will not have the problem of "Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians" We accept that each of us is to be a productive Indian and there will

be no Chiefs.

www.ic.org

Howdy Folks,

I expect that this subject has been discussed on this forum. With 2012 being 55 or so days away now...I hope that Ideas can be exchanged on this thread

that Share experience, insights, innovations, dealing with special needs, and other thoughts about Intentional Communities Co-ops, Communes, Eco-villages, Retreats, Monasteries?

Also perhaps to establish some network connections between communities for trade/barter/educational/skill purposes.

In my neck of the woods a few of us are taking actions, discussions, transactions with a view to an uncertain future. Luck favors the prepared.

I will start the thread off by saying that my home group will have Natural Resources from Appalachian forests to include but not limited to,

clean spring waters, herbs, wildlife, tillable and wooded lands, caves, and backwoods skills, farm skills.

Our group will not have the problem of "Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians" We accept that each of us is to be a productive Indian and there will

be no Chiefs.

I've written in here before that my sense of a hardy community resilient enough to make it through the next bottleneck will be a hybrid model of ancient Taoist village/modern ecovillage; contemporary permaculture design, appropriate technology, etc, combined with communal practice of traditional Taoist healing and martial arts. The ancient Taoists were the village librarians, craftsmen, warriors, and doctors, so I tend to attach a little romanticism to my pragmatism.

I've tried to launch a similar thread several times before but it hasn't caught on. Many people here think the next messiah is beaming down from the mothership any day now, rather than actually taking their Taoist practice to the next level.

Have you ever checked out http://www.earthaven.org/ ? They're in N. Carolina. I met Diane Christiansen at an ecovillage symposium; she wrote "Creating a Life Together, Practical Tools to Grow Ecovillages and Intentional Communities." It's a primer for the movement, and it's remarkably Taoist in its orientation.

I've lived in barracks, at sea, 10,000 ft. in the Rockies, college dorms, co-ops, youth hostels and apartment buildings. Soundproofing, or the lack theoreof, has frequently been the deciding factor in how well people who need solitude can live in proximity to others. that's why we're going for rammed-earth construction, but also to maximize insulation and minimize firewood. I think we can build the brick machine that's depicted here. http://opensourceecology.org/

Christiansen says emotional maturity is the most important criteria for selecting community members. Skills are important, but they can be taught and learned. Kunstler makes this point too in Long Emergency; the days of indulging in our own private psycho-dramas will be eclipsed by the need to harvest the crops and feed the livestock.

Edited by Encephalon
  • Like 1

Just do what you can when you can. There is no reason to put a deadline on that, lazy cloud.❤

Exactly.

I used 2012 more as a symbolic timeline rather than a prediction. When and if 2012 comes and goes without

a glitch , our group will maintain the tribal spirit and our preparedness. We have been doing what we can for

about twenty years. Changes and Challenges are coming.

Edited by lazy cloud

I've written in here before that my sense of a hardy community resilient enough to make it through the next bottleneck will be a hybrid model of ancient Taoist village/modern ecovillage; contemporary permaculture design, appropriate technology, etc, combined with communal practice of traditional Taoist healing and martial arts. The ancient Taoists were the village librarians, craftsmen, warriors, and doctors, so I tend to attach a little romanticism to my pragmatism.

I've tried to launch a similar thread several times before but it hasn't caught on. Many people here think the next messiah is beaming down from the mothership any day now, rather than actually taking their Taoist practice to the next level.

Have you ever checked out http://www.earthaven.org/ ? They're in N. Carolina. I met Diane Christiansen at an ecovillage symposium; she wrote "Creating a Life Together, Practical Tools to Grow Ecovillages and Intentional Communities." It's a primer for the movement, and it's remarkably Taoist in its orientation.

I've lived in barracks, at sea, 10,000 ft. in the Rockies, college dorms, co-ops, youth hostels and apartment buildings. Soundproofing, or the lack theoreof, has frequently been the deciding factor in how well people who need solitude can live in proximity to others. that's why we're going for rammed-earth construction, but also to maximize insulation and minimize firewood. I think we can build the brick machine that's depicted here. http://opensourceecology.org/

Christiansen says emotional maturity is the most important criteria for selecting community members. Skills are important, but they can be taught and learned. Kunstler makes this point too in Long Emergency; the days of indulging in our own private psycho-dramas will be eclipsed by the need to harvest the crops and feed the livestock.

This is the type of post I am trying to elicit. No-nonsense , practical, Taoist.

Sign in to follow this