Sign in to follow this  
tulku

Monks and Priests have the easiest life on Earth?

Do Monks and Priests have the easiest life on Earth?

It seems to me they have little to no stress compared to the average lay person.

LOL.

Edited by tulku

The path to enlightenment is varied in hindrance and steadfast in inexorability.

On the hill a rock

rolling moths chasing you there

launch us into space

Ommmm.

It's a good question. I think if they have a role in the wider "spirituality" of the world (maybe even just keeping knowledge of practices...) then maybe they have an important one. I guess that could be pretty hard. Do they have more of a "spiritual" role like they're fighting off evil "stuff" before it gets to lay people? I reckon that would be hard.

Maybe for some monks etc there is no sacrifice and they just get out of the race, off the wheel and the farm or the factory and indeed have an "easier" time of it. Maybe for others there's a great sacrifice.

I dunno. I read somewhere that in some instances the monastic practices get so hardcore that you practically need not to work and feed yourself etc.

Maybe less stress, but its a hard life. Here is a sample of a possible Buddhist monks schedule:

The Monks Daily Routine in Japan is:

4:00 Shinrei (Wake-up)

4:20 Zazen (meditation)

5:50 Zazen

6:00 Choka (Morning Liturgy)

7:30 Breakfast

8:00 Study Hour

9:00 Samu (Work Practice)

11:30 Lunch

13:30 Samu

16:20 Evening Liturgy

17:00 Evening Meal

17:20 Bath

19:20 Zazen

20:20 Zazen

21:30 Kaichin (Evening Rounds)

"The Schedules for Buddhist Monks vary somewhat depending upon what kind of Buddhism is practiced, whether it is a training temple or a sub-temple, etc... Generally speaking, monks rise early, have several periods of meditation and chanting while the kitchen gets breakfast ready, a work period followed by lunch, than more work, some free time, followed by dinner, and then a two hour period of evening meditation. During retreats, there is often less work and a lot more meditation. Some monasterie's schedules are quite strenous end leave one wondering if he has joined the marine corps."

I certainly wish to become a monk one day. I wish to wait till my karmic obligations to my daughter are wrapped up enough {when she turns 18}.

I think it is very Important that one be ready for such a decision. For me my studies and practice have helped me naturally renounce many many things, and I am slowly learning to live more and more like a monk at home.

My time in Tantra was wonderful. On the sexual side of it, having had tons of the best Sex humanly possible, has brought me to a place where I am no longer constantly craving it, which would have made monk hood very hard.

Now I know deeply, the happiness and joy sex brings, but also the happiness and joy it specifically can not bring. It is just no longer that important to me.

I more and more feel like my mind can turn away from clinging to the 10000 things, as that is what it is doing all by it self, just from exposure to the Dharma, and having already lived very well...

• Like 2

It may be that some monks use the lifestyle as a way of escapism, which may infact retard balanced growth in the long run.

For me the point of becoming a monk would be so I could purify myself in retreat in order to be more harmonious and compassionate to others when I re-entered the world, so it's all about being in the world in a better way and not avoiding the world, which is why I don't understand the point of those monks which stay isolated away for most of their lives, what is the point of all that practice if it is of no benefit to others?

Do Monks and Priests have the easiest life on Earth?

It seems to me they have little to no stress compared to the average lay person.

One way to find out - try it.

Stress can be present in any situation, as can tranquility.

Stress and tranquility are in us, not the situation.

• Like 3

Monks have an abundance of stress, most related to their interpersonal relationships and also the competition that exists within many monasteries to be the star student. Monks are normal people, not superhuman, they have the same desires as everyone else, that's why you see a lot of sex behind the walls of monasteries, a lot of competition, a lot of backbiting and intrigue, and of course a desire for success.

I'm not sure where you get this idealistic image of monasteries from, but I'm certain if you can get in one, that's if you can pass the interview process, then you're going to see that things aren't all that rosy.

Aaron

• Like 3

Monks have an abundance of stress, most related to their interpersonal relationships and also the competition that exists within many monasteries to be the star student. Monks are normal people, not superhuman, they have the same desires as everyone else, that's why you see a lot of sex behind the walls of monasteries, a lot of competition, a lot of backbiting and intrigue, and of course a desire for success.

I'm not sure where you get this idealistic image of monasteries from, but I'm certain if you can get in one, that's if you can pass the interview process, then you're going to see that things aren't all that rosy.

Aaron

too bad i won't have the time to try it

Aaron

Have you lived in a monastery?

Mandrake

I will ask the next monk I see...

If they made the choice carefully, I think it can be one of the best lifestyles. Otherwise, may be very boring...

Really depends on the person IMO

Aaron

+1

I know someone who had received some numerous testimonies from monks. He says the very same things as you. Unless one is a very balanced person and do it out of a true inner calling, rushing into monasteries is just as delusional as everything else. One is just bringing into the monastery his own mental problems. There is no external escape from what plagues our self.

I can see why women did it back in medieval times. With arranged marriages, minimal personal rights and continuous chilbearing, being a nun would have looked pretty good.

I have met many deeply joyful and serene monks. And some who were less so.

I think there can be a general resistance to the Idea that monks could be really happy in a western audience, as they seem to be deprived of many things, and in the west, deprivation is 'never' good.

It creates an uncomfortable reflection for many, as If a monk can be happy with so little, why cant we?

So we write them off as having crazy fears of the world {which some may have}

of being escapists {which some may be}

or any other problems one may think off {which some may have}

But many many monks, have very good lives as well. :)

I read a study on a Carmelite {if I remember right} cloister of Nuns, and the general physical and psychological health among the older women was far higher than those of the general public.

To me at the very least, it seems like an awesome retirement plan for many... {lol which is not my motivation for wanting to join}

consider how many Old people are only kept alive by their work, and then are left to rot alone, once their significant other has passed on...

In a Monastery one can age gracefully, working towards Enlightenment, surrounded by peers {community} to keep ones mind lively, daily prostrations and cleaning duties to keep you fit and healthy, and a simple diet...

Seth.

• Like 1

I'll say the potential is there, since the purpose is to be one with everything all the time, and the conditions are made to have only as many obstacles as necessary. There needs to be some difficulty to have ease. Excessive ease also is difficult in itself.

Anything fulfilling is easy if you work hard at it ^_^ .

But many many monks, have very good lives as well. :)

I read a study on a Carmelite {if I remember right} cloister of Nuns, and the general physical and psychological health among the older women was far higher than those of the general public.

Yes I was reading recently about the monks at the Mount Athos monastery who have baffled scientists at their level of health and low levels of cancer in their community. The scientists focus only on the diet rather than the spiritual practice the monks do to try to find the reason for this good health, but I suspect everything they do in that environment contributes.

Hello folks,

No I've never been in a monastery, but I had a friend in college that was a monk for several years that used to talk about it and I've had professors that were monks and nuns. They used to talk about it quite a bit. A good book to read about the monastery life is "The Empty Mirror: Experiences in a Zen Monastery" by Janwillem van de Wetering. His second book in his autobiographical series is about a commune in Maine, it's title is "A Glimpse of Nothingness: Experiences in an American Zen Community". Both are great books and tend to be brutally honest.

My friend told me that one of the reasons he left was because he got hit on a lot in the monastery and also he was disillusioned with the experience. I would recommend that anyone that is interested in going to a monastery check out the specific monastery (they're different places after all) and also ask yourself if you can achieve what you want to outside the monastery? If you can, then you might want to ask why the monastic life is so appealing to you. If you're truthful, the answers may surprise you. Also it's not as simple as walking up to the door with your bags and saying, "I want in." They actually vet candidates thoroughly these days. In most cases you'll have to talk to counselors and monks extensively before they decide whether you can enter or not.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

+1

I know someone who had received some numerous testimonies from monks. He says the very same things as you. Unless one is a very balanced person and do it out of a true inner calling, rushing into monasteries is just as delusional as everything else. One is just bringing into the monastery his own mental problems. There is no external escape from what plagues our self.

This.

I believe people who seriously practice in some monstaries probably have some of the most challenging.

But, im sure it gets much easier after awhile. When your will is steel lol.

Modern times are no deterrent to women who decide on a path of renunciation.

http://www.buddhanet.net/ordination02.htm

Met a few Nuns in years past. In fact, one of my aunts is one in the Catholic faith. Strong individuals. Very clear, very compassionate.

True I know few women too who are nuns/sadhus including my mum and very happy about it.

I also know one woman who did it as an escape from arranged marriage and is now in her forties and not so happy(actually very depressed) as she only now realsise that she never wanted to be nun forever but it is to late to give up in her opinon as she runs a yoga center and holds a big responsability and etc.

Being priest/monk in life can be considered easy if this is a chosen path where every atom of a persons being says :yes this is what I want to do, if not some conflict is there.

True I know few women too who are nuns/sadhus including my mum and very happy about it.

I also know one woman who did it as an escape from arranged marriage and is now in her forties and not so happy(actually very depressed) as she only now realsise that she never wanted to be nun forever but it is to late to give up in her opinon as she runs a yoga center and holds a big responsability and etc.

Being priest/monk in life can be considered easy if this is a chosen path where every atom of a persons being says :yes this is what I want to do, if not some conflict is there.

I would love to be a nun, but not a monk.

Aaron

Short Nat Geographic YT video on Buddhist Nun in solitary retreat for 45 years -

If they are doing it properly, they have a simple life. Simple does not necessarily mean easy.

No matter what path we choose to walk through life, we will be faced with challenges.

The only real Daoist I know has said that the purpose of life is to help others. Although a monk or priest may have simplified their own life, that is simply the first step on their path. After that, the focus becomes on helping others and guiding them into simplicity, compassion, benevolence and the various other positive virtues that we can cultivate during our lives.

To put things in perspective, the way to clarity passes through truth. How many of us can tell the truth and be truthful all the time? Often times there are social consequences attached to the truth, and it is easier to leave things unsaid.

Often times the "easy" to do things will not necessarily be the "right" way. For those who have chosen to walk the "right" path, they might contest the perception that what they do is "easy".

Sign in to follow this