Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

Lucid Dreaming anyone?

T C (the meditator formerly known as Tao Cow) or someone made a comment somewhere I can't remember that got me intrigued in Lucid Dreaming. I practiced awhile back when I was in college, and it was trippy, but never in any depth, such as dream yoga or whatever it's called. If anyone has some good info regarding Lucid Dreaming, could you shoot it this way.

I'd like to hear some other people's experiences regarding lucid dreaming as well, my only experience is being aware that I'm dreaming, I've never actually been able to change the outcome of a dream, but the idea that it's possible is interesting, so is the idea that one can learn more about themselves by delving and molding their subconscious mind.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

T C (the meditator formerly known as Tao Cow) or someone made a comment somewhere I can't remember that got me intrigued in Lucid Dreaming. I practiced awhile back when I was in college, and it was trippy, but never in any depth, such as dream yoga or whatever it's called. If anyone has some good info regarding Lucid Dreaming, could you shoot it this way.

I'd like to hear some other people's experiences regarding lucid dreaming as well, my only experience is being aware that I'm dreaming, I've never actually been able to change the outcome of a dream, but the idea that it's possible is interesting, so is the idea that one can learn more about themselves by delving and molding their subconscious mind.

Aaron

Lucid Dreaming: Gateway to the Inner Self Robert Waggoner is the best lucid dreaming book that I have seen in a long time. He takes the dreamer to advanced steps in recognizing the nature of lucidity and dream "yoga." I am not connected in any way with the author except that I am very enthusiastic since reading this book.

One technique is to force yourself to go to sleep in a specific position. You should choose something comfortable but not one of your usual positions. Resist the urge to get comfortable or roll over. It's not about falling asleep as you normally do when you're tired. You adopt the position and then stay as still and peaceful as you can. Do not give in and try a 'new' position. Try to stay alert and peaceful. Eventually your body will become so still that you will almost forget it is there. If you can do this for long enough you may suddenly realize you are dreaming. Do not panic or try too hard. Lucid dreaming is a difficult balance of give and take. If you accidently wake up you will be in the same posistion. Resist the urge to move. Stay completely still and you can reenter into the lucid dreaming state rather easily. This technique of waking-to-lucid state is good practice for intentional lucid dreaming. It teaches you the correct amount of 'letting go' and 'alertness' mind-balance required to enter into the lucid dream.

It seems to be about intending. If you want to lucid dream you have to try. Going to sleep without preparation/intention only rarely results in lucidity. Also don't be surprised if you experience many dreams within dreams and a loss of reality while in the midst of using this technique.

Ommmmmm.

Edited by ATMA
  • Like 1

The more lucid and aware you are in real life the more lucid your dreams will be.

As for waking up in dreams i found many useful techniques in The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep...though i personally never went that deep into the practice the book is definitely fertile ground for practice.

I've been working towards it for sometime... spurned on by the wise words of Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche who said (paraphrasing) "If you can't become aware during sleep, how can you possibly hope to become aware while awake.." .. I found the comparison of the dream that most of us live and never wake from to being asleep and not realizing that we were dreaming to be pretty compelling.... but alas, I continue to simply enjoy the unusual beauty of my dreams instead of waking to the revelation that I am dreaming :glare: ... All in good time....

This is Wangyals book (

http://www.amazon.com/Tibetan-Yogas-Dream-Sleep/dp/1559391014/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320204414&sr=8-1)... I found it to be tremendously informative... But the only success I really gained from the practices within the book was to have dreams that reflected the areas in which my mind was placed before drifting off (you rotate your intent throughout the night by waking periodically to reset).... These days I use the kunlun dreaming practices, but my experiences have been similar. The quality of the dreams change, but I still find myself unable to bring awareness into the dreaming.

Edited by balance.

T C (the meditator formerly known as Tao Cow)

:lol: the above brought on a chuckle... thanks!!

Useful video playlist here for those interested in exploring Lucid Dreaming - -

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=stephen+laberge&aq=f

I like this short clip by Shinzen Young as well, relating to same topic - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=GwctdxAn9v4

• Like 1

This blog I found has some general information on dream yoga: http://www.dreamyoga.com/

I don't know what you ultimately want to acheive with these practices, but this is the main point of these practices:

"The goal of dream yoga is to achieve enlightenment" - Tenzen Wangyal

And from a review on Norbu's Dream Yoga: "Dream Yoga is not just about awakening in the dream state but also bringing it together with our non-dream awareness as well."

I haven't read these two books, but I've seen these get recommended a lot:

1. Dream Yoga and the Practice of Natural Light (Revised edition) by Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

2. The Cycle of Day and Night: Where One Proceeds Along the Path of the Primordial Yoga : An Essential Tibetan Text on the Practice of Dzogchen by Chogyal Namkhai Norbu - From a review: "In this translation of the Longde Series of Dzogchen Teachings, Garab Dorje (Ancient Dzogchen Big-Wig)shows how to maintain contemplation Day and Night. Wonderful introduction, excellent translation of the Text, amazing commentary to follow; Norbu makes the Evening, Night, and Morning practices simple and easy to understand"

I second Balance's recommendation for Tenzin Wangyal's book The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep

Thanks for all the info guys. C T, I always call you Tao Cow for some reason, sorry about that. I will take a look at those youtube videos as soon as I get a chance. I never go to youtube or facebook, at heart I'm not very interested in social sites, but I guess they'd be a good place to start looking.

Also thank you for sharing your experiences as well. It's nice to hear what other people have achieved with lucid dreaming and also their thoughts about those experiences.

Aaron

I guess I should have posted my thing about waking up in the middle of dreams here.

There's a story about a guy who practices lucid dreaming so much that at one point he can't tell 'inside' which state he is. I don't think I'd enjoy that very much. It was bad enough when I had to struggle to realise I was dreaming those times. I think dreams have their 'natural' purpose too - although what that is is a good debate:-)

It's like living an "unenlightened" life. There's still a 'natural' purpose to it. Not that I consider myself enlightened BTW and as far as I can tell I don't want to (otherwise I would have already).

I'm intrigued with lucid dreaming since 2007.

I consider this practice as a "gateway" for perception of subtle reality, the spirit world, the astral plane... from which -ideally- our physical matter come.

There are different approach for achievement and what I find that works best is

energy system of qigong.

If visualization is involved is much more better.

Visualization activates the pineal gland which is the real DEAL for exploration of other worlds.

Someone suggest to create an astral double for projection. I believe that this method works only because of the strong visualization involved.

The key for success is named pineal gland.... which is in some way related to sexual energy.

I guess I should have posted my thing about waking up in the middle of dreams here.

There's a story about a guy who practices lucid dreaming so much that at one point he can't tell 'inside' which state he is. I don't think I'd enjoy that very much. It was bad enough when I had to struggle to realise I was dreaming those times. I think dreams have their 'natural' purpose too - although what that is is a good debate:-)

It's like living an "unenlightened" life. There's still a 'natural' purpose to it. Not that I consider myself enlightened BTW and as far as I can tell I don't want to (otherwise I would have already).

Hahaha. What is real? Remember Zhuangzi's tale of the butterfly.

Real is returning to the Source, the final awakening, until then enjoy your dream. :)

Good techniques are offered in this page:

http://obe4u.com/?page_id=14

Edited by Gerard

Hahaha. What is real? Remember Zhuangzi's tale of the butterfly.

Real is returning to the Source, the final awakening, until then enjoy your dream. :)

Good techniques are offered in this page:

http://obe4u.com/?page_id=14

Wasn't that supposed to be joke by Zhuangzi? Then a zen dude boinks you on the foot and you understand instantly. Horses for courses:-)

Sign in to follow this