Sign in to follow this  
Eddy

small circulation by dr yang

hey guys, i was watching a dvd by dr. jwing-ming yang on small circulation. he starts off by saying when you exhale energy goes out of dantian and when you inhale energy goes back in. and then he says when you inhale for energy going into dantian you pull in perineum. he then goes on to explain the other points up the back and around. does he imply we also hold up the perineum (on each inhale) as we lead qi to mingmen, dorsal gate, and then baihui - and also each time back into dantian - or just do perineum hold on the first exercise (dantian to perineum to dantian)? ~ eddy

hey guys, i was watching a dvd by dr. jwing-ming yang on small circulation. he starts off by saying when you exhale energy goes out of dantian and when you inhale energy goes back in. and then he says when you inhale for energy going into dantian you pull in perineum. he then goes on to explain the other points up the back and around. does he imply we also hold up the perineum (on each inhale) as we lead qi to mingmen, dorsal gate, and then baihui - and also each time back into dantian - or just do perineum hold on the first exercise (dantian to perineum to dantian)? ~ eddy

There are easier ways to learn how to do this. Anything complex or confusing should be learned with a teacher. If you make mistakes you can harm yourself. How do you know someone giving you advice on the practice here actually knows what they are doing also?

Spring Forest qigong do a guided meditation for this that is not complicated. I don't personally practice it, but I have done it and it is straight forward to follow. You should combine this with some form of moving qigong if you don't already do one.

http://www.bornahealer.com/

Small Universe Guided Meditation CD (30 minutes)

Small Universe CD - 30 minutes

The Small Universe Meditation was designed to help you clear energy blockages along the two most important energy channels in your body. By using mental focus, controlled breathing and sounds, this guided meditation helps you open all the major energy centers located along these two key channels and restore energy balance.

All you have to do is relax and follow Master Lin's instructions. The Small Universe Meditation really is just that simple -- simple, yet very, very powerful.

Personally I practice Stillness Movement neigong, which is taught by Michael Lomax. He posts as 'Ya Mu' on this forum. Stillness Movement and Gift of the Tao neigong are powerful practices that will open up the energy channels for you, in a safe manner. I recommend what Michael does unreservedly.

http://www.qigongamerica.com/

• Like 3

It is advisable to learn embryonic breathing until proficiency first so that a path of least resistance is established. Then more advanced things have that to fall back on, so to speak. The energy is constantly flowing. Yi leads qi. Go easy on the perineum, it is like trimming the motor on a boat and shouldn't be motivated with too much force. That said, it is an important aspect and when properly harmonious it adds quite a bit, one of the reasons it was a closely guarded martial secret for a long time. As such, it should be a component of every breath, how exactly it is done somewhat depends on the breathing strategy employed. Being able to attain a decent stillness is a prerequsite, ime the amount of progress you make depends somewhat on the level of stillness you are able to attain.

I'll also give a thumbs up to the spring forest method of doing this :)

and then he says when you inhale for energy going into dantian you pull in perineum. he then goes on to explain the other points up the back and around. does he imply we also hold up the perineum (on each inhale) as we lead qi to mingmen, dorsal gate, and then baihui - and also each time back into dantian - or just do perineum hold on the first exercise (dantian to perineum to dantian)? ~ eddy

Pulling in the perineum on inhale is doing "Reverse Breathing". It is pulled in on each inhale. It is more like 'winking' it and relaxing it.

I would also consult one of his books which talks about the breath methods in more detail and see if it isn't more clear for you but as was said a teacher/guide is the safest method. If you do something wrong you won't know how to undo it yourself.

The way I practice is a bit different: Inhale, qi goes down from Tiantu to the lower dantian, exhale,it crosses the Huiyin point and goes to the first vertebrae. Inhale, goes through the back until the last vertebrae. Exhale, it goes around the skull and goes down to Tiantu (throat)

I don't believe there is a better version than another, just like in other meditation techniques; should the right hand be on the left or the opposite...

Besides, I think all these kinds of "small circulation qi gongs" are okay, but limite somehow. You just don't open channels on by this kind of method. It can provide a good basis for more advanced stages anyway.

Sign in to follow this