Marblehead

Lessons Learned

For those of you who like to hear about the lessons others have learned in life, here is one more for you.

I think it is number 6,739 for me. (And that's just this year.)

If we wish to hold to our free will and freedom of choice we must never feel obligated to explain ourself to others. However, we must always take full responsibility for all our thoughts and actions as well as the consequences thereby resulting.

• Like 1

looking forward to lesson 6,740 as well.

hmm taking full responsibility for each and every thought?

even if i dont hold onto that thought or dwell on it or act on it?

hmmm every non action is an action is what my ol' dad told me.

dammit Marbles , you go deep sometimes.

i will ponder further.

looking forward to lesson 6,740 as well.

hmm taking full responsibility for each and every thought?

even if i dont hold onto that thought or dwell on it or act on it?

hmmm every non action is an action is what my ol' dad told me.

dammit Marbles , you go deep sometimes.

i will ponder further.

Hehehe. Yes, even the thoughts we do not hold onto or dwell upon.

And yes, a decision for non-action is equal to a decision for action.

Taking responsibility - tough job!

I am sure #6,740 will be just around the corner.

Edit to add:

That's because I screw up a lot.

Edited by Marblehead

I agree with you, I think.

While we may choose to explain ourselves to others, it is not an obligation.

Unless, perhaps, if our actions will have a direct and potentially negative impact on others - what about then?

As far as taking responsibility, I agree.

And yet, where do our thoughts come from?

Much of what is in our heads is not our doing or choice, it's conditioning.

It's our parents', teachers', ancestors', society's, and culture's crap that we have to deal with.

So while I agree with taking responsibility (echoes of Castaneda and the Toltec tradition), I wonder if it really is OUR responsibility.

Certainly our actions and choices are ours.

But our thoughts?

And if not, then whose?

So do you want to give us gory details?

I hope it all worked out ok for you.

I agree with you, I think.

Everything is fine on my end. Thanks. (Actually, on my whole body, not just my end.)

Yes, the thoughts are difficult to deal with, I agree. However, it is true that if we do have negative thoughts, if we do not pay attention to them, do not nurse them, do not feed them, they will eventually die. But I will still suggest that they are our responsibility if they are effecting us in any way, especially negatively.

Regarding action that negatively effects someone else, a tough one. But no, I don't think we should consider it an obligation. Part of our responsibility though? Yes, at least an apology. Even an effort to make ammends if that is appropriate. But this too ties in with responsibility.

To the useless learnings that have been forced down our throats through the years - at some point we should challenge any of this information that effects our life. True that no all the learning is useless. Some has great value. But we should question it once we are of an age to rationally do so. I think this is one of our responsibilities as an individual. And as most of us live within a society of some sort, the societal norms need be respected even though they might have no direct effect on our life.

OK I was going to say ...

Holy Cow! I think I better stay away from feeding that train of thought.

Oh, yeah, that was a lesson I learned a long time ago - there are times when it is best to remain silent.

Holy Cow! I think I better stay away from feeding that train of thought.

Don't you mean holy shit!? laugh.gif

there are times when it is best to remain silent.

Indeed! sleep.gif

Don't you mean holy shit!? laugh.gif

No, I meant Holy Cow. But Holy Shit would have worked just as well.

Which reminds me of another lesson I learned a while back:

Never let other people put words into your mouth. We all are capable of making total asses of ourself without the help from others.

No, I meant Holy Cow. But Holy Shit would have worked just as well.

Is that like the Hindu holy cow? rolleyes.gif

Which reminds me of another lesson I learned a while back:

Never let other people put words into your mouth. We all are capable of making total asses of ourself without the help from others.

*nods quietly to self*

Is that like the Hindu holy cow? rolleyes.gif

That thought did pop into my mind when I said "Holy Cow".

Funny how the brain works with all its connections where one thought inspires another, sometimes related, sometimes totally off the wall.

That thought did pop into my mind when I said "Holy Cow".

Funny how the brain works with all its connections where one thought inspires another, sometimes related, sometimes totally off the wall.

I think this also happens with images / art which is why I like Tibetan Buddhism. Of course I'm familiar with many of the ideas / teachings of TB but I figure the main teachings are conveyed though the art. Of course with Taoism I've been told more times than I care to remember that all the teachings are contained within the Yin Yang. In fact the what I was actually told was to meditate on the symbol. Carl Jung had some very interesting ideas about archetypes within art.

I think this also happens with images / art which is why I like Tibetan Buddhism. Of course I'm familiar with many of the ideas / teachings of TB but I figure the main teachings are conveyed though the art. Of course with Taoism I've been told more times than I care to remember that all the teachings are contained within the Yin Yang. In fact the what I was actually told was to meditate on the symbol. Carl Jung had some very interesting ideas about archetypes within art.

Talk about thought feeds ... WoW!

Yes, I too love Hindu and Buddhist art. And the colors they use for contrast are fantastic!

Taoist art advanced and evolved to great heights during the Tang dynasty. Of course, this is a totally different art form than the Hindu/Buddhist. Almost always scenes of nature as the dominant concept in the work. And, of course, nature is the root of Taoism.

"*nods quietly to self* "

quietude...

so, i reckon quietude leads to a different flavor of thought(s).

didn't ancient taoists teach that in the contemplation in quietude lead to the hidden recesses of hidden creativity?

and that from that realm beauty becomes manifest to the objective world?

higher level self-cultivation gives absolute freedom and serenity allowing for natural reflection?

and without preconceived notions and distortions?

so, we should take full responsibilty for our meditations.

Edited by zerostao

Hehehe. Beautiful ending this:

so, we should take full responsibilty for our meditations.

Yes indeed, I think.

Yes, we do need quietude in our life on occasion.

How can we possibly meditate with all the noise of the mouth and the brain?

To your questions,

Yes

Yes

Yes

and Yes.

Of course, I am sure you already knew this.

My life has been such that I really don't need quietude in order to go into deep thought.