Sign in to follow this  
Josama

Is this karma/destiny?

I decided that I would pick up martial arts to compliment my spiritual practice(I know that it's normally the other way around but meditatoion came first,so...)

The thing is that 5 years ago I have been doing some kung fu but after a month I quit because it was individual training,the master would sometimes correct me but there wasn't any practical side to it.Then just know when I am about to pick up a martial art I find out that the same school that I was going before has moved a few weeks ago and that in the street next to me!

My country is very small but still I am living in a small village,the chance of that dojo coming right next mo was less than 1 percent.

Now about 10 minutes from me there is also a victor kan van tsun dojo.I watched some videos on youtube on wing chun training and I find it to be much more in my interest.(although I know that you never can tell the training in details from a few yvideos,but that jsn't the problem since I can ask for testing a lesson)

So now I am puzzled because I am a frim believer in destiny and to me it just seems that this can't be a coincidence or is it?

What do you think?

Also I don't know the name of the kung fu they are teaching at the school next to me but I still now the 5 basic stances :

The first is a horse stance with either left or right hand in front of the forehead and the other doing a straight punch to the side and turning the head in the direction of the punch.

The second is a stance where you put either left or right foot in front,weight is resting on the front leg,the rear leg is straight,toes are pointed to side at an 45 degree angle,If the left leg in front then the the left arm makes a straight punch to the left looking in the direction of the punch and the other hand in the front of the forehead.

For the third one,one foot is pointed outward at an 45 degree angle,the other one is lifted,if the right leg is lifted,then right arm is put straight above and the left arm straight before the groin area,head is turned to side where the arm is down.

The fourth one is a stance where you put one leg in front,weigh resting on it,the knee of the rear leg is almost touching the ground,like when do a lunge,I don't remember the hand postitions for that one.

The last one is a crane stance,one leg is vertical to the floor weight resting on it,other one is straight,toes are parellel but straight,if the left leg is vertical,then the left hand is brought up in front of the body at eye level,fingers touching,the other arm is brought down behind fingers also touchin.

I am not 100% sure if crane stance is the 4 or the last as I can't remember clearly.

I wonder if anyore her can tell from these stances alone which kung fu style it is?

Edited by Josama

That's such a popular basic combo that it can even be drunken style's six harmonies, but how can you forget drunken style :lol:

I dunno, it can even be hung gar or choy lee fut

Well I thought as much :),but I am wondering is traditional kung fu normally like this that you train the various forms in front of a mirror and the sifu corrects you when the need,but you never do any practical practice,I am not even talking about sparring here but rather body conditioning?

2b5d7802d5.jpg

ab89e5139d.jpg

e24b1ed497.jpg

f81d5e4fc8.jpg

I found some pictures of the sifu himself performing,what do yu think?

He is also teaching tai chi so I guess the two sword ones are tai chi?

• Like 1

Can't think of tai chi ever using sabers which require muscle power over technique

When are you going to come over and ask him?

I found some pictures of the sifu himself performing,what do yu think?

He is also teaching tai chi so I guess the two sword ones are tai chi?

Good posture, good focus. I like the way he holds the weapons, firm but relaxed. If he's a good teacher and the price is right, go for it.

2 bits

I play a bit of Taiji alongside my regular Neigong and i can say with ease that it is a very beautiful practice. It is very balancing and grounding and it always leaves me feeling serene after. I would say it is a great compliment to meditation. I highly recommend.

Also i wouldn't really think much about Karma or destiny...just do what resonates and feels right to you, listen to your intuition. Talk to the teachers and ask them questions about there practice, a good teacher will be happy to answer questions.

-My 2 cents, Peace

tai chi saber... now I've seen everything...

and what's left now is tai chi machine gun :lol:

Edited by Sinfest

So I asked the sifu aboit the style and he said it is northern shaolin.

The price is 65 euro a month which is pretty expensive.The "dojo" where he gives the lesson is also his house.It's open from 14:00 pm-21:00 pm,6 times a week and he is always there to do corrections when needed.

The wingchun classes are on thuesday and thuersday from 19:00-21:00 pm.I don't know yet about the price,will ask later.The dojo is bigger and has more equipement.

Right I am leaning towards wing chun because I think it suits me better.

I know that finding an authentic northern style sholin trainer is damn hard,but I also read somewhere that the sholin art is some of the more difficult to learn.

Edited by Josama

Here is my counter offer by adding one more sabre.

Yeah, I saw that when I was looking for the one I posted. And actually, the one I posted wasn't the one I really wanted to post but I couldn't find the one I really wanted. Don't recall the guy's name but he was doing Two Sword Tai Chi (or Tai Chi Double Sword) on a beach somewhere.

You are indeed fortunate to have a choice living in a small village.

I think that the teacher is more important than the style.

All styles have their unique idiosyncracies and all styles can be very effective.

What is needed is a good teacher and a dedicated student.

I studied Wing Chun for many years and then moved to the internal arts (first Taijiquan, later adding some cross training in Xingyiquan and Baguqzhang).

You can't go wrong with Shaolin longfist, Wing Chun, or Taijiquan as long as you have a good teacher.

Sinfest - Tai Ji Dao is not unusual - you'll see it in Chen and Yang styles. I don't know about Wu or Hao. Whereas the Taiji Jian is about using the waist and body to control the wrist for the accurate and finely tuned cuts, the Taiji Dao is about using the waist and body to control the entire arm. The cuts are much more gross (hacking and chopping type cuts) than the jian but it can still be done with song and ziran.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this