Tatsumaru

Does it matter where you live for meditation ?

They say you absorb energy from the earth and sky. So therefore does it matter what floor do you live on ? E.g. the higher you live the harder it becomes to reach for earthly energy ? Thanks.

• Like 2

naaaaaah, but there is a thing about finding perfect spots for meditation

You are a creature with your feet touching the ground and head touching heaven, like a mountain. Mountains are very good meditations spots, especially when you are alone on them and facing east. Natural formed caves, especially facing east, are also perfect for meditation. Man-made structures are kinda forced into place, unlike mountains that were formed by elements. But some of the most energetic places to meditate are places with the most conflict like old battle grounds and sport fields that are usually man-made. If you want to know more, study feng shui.

Can you recommend decent feng shui material containing real stuff and not bs e.g. "Feng Shui for your bathroom - Learn to pick the best candles".

Thanks

Well I had a book but later, after studying the five elements, I found out that it was bs :lol:

I think it would be best to just learn basic Taoist concepts and slowly apply them to bigger things, that's where these things came from anyway.

• Like 1

Man made structures that are either abandoned or don't have many people around can in some cases be very good meditation spots. They have a strong charge.

Lots of benefit to training in bad places. Train yourself to meditate on a swaying subway car then home and zendo practice will be a piece of cake. Its all in the mind, train it and the place matters less.

Though I suppose at upper levels there are places of power that give you an extra boost.

Depends on what you're practicing. I would say for Zen practice, anywhere should be fine. For Jhana/ Concentration practice, a quiet place is needed.

Personally, I need an undisturbed place for energy practices.

I've seen a video clip which explained the unique energy of the Himalayas due to the amount of Yogi's who have practiced there, so if Yogi's can leave positive energy imprints im sure negative people can do the same.

Im sure natural places, fresh air, quiet environment have better energy than the opposite.

The best place for meditation is where there are abundance of greens which are full of fresh air. Normally, there has an abundance of Chi.

it depends on what kind of meditation. If you are working with earth energy, best not to be on the 34th floor, but then again, there is still earth energy up there. Its just not like being in the basement, or better yet, outside in the grass :)

if you are working with just emptiness sitting, i don't think it matters what floor you're on. There is no floor!

if you are working with any particular kind of energy, best to do it in a place rich with that energy! Conversely, if you find yourself in a location with particular energy, work with that energy!

if you are on the 3rd floor but you want to tap into some energy, just gather cosmic energy like star energy in the form of subtle matter or cosmic particlewaves... you can just intend to absorb the cosmic energy that is always flooding the environment, and your energy body will soak it up instead of letting it pass through you. So that is another way to work with energy no matter where you are in the world.

:)

I didn't think if mattered til I practiced qigong and then did some meditation in a basement clinic in a hospital (I worked there and had some downtime while waiting for a patient). Within half an hour I got achey a fever and really sick by end of the day happened freakishly fast, before I did it I was feeling fine and I rarely get sick. When I asked my teacher she told me I was really stupid to do that in a bad sick energy place and I should have listened better. She was right, she did tell us about training in a right environment, but til that happened I thought it more about movement and and the mind. It was a bad experience, but sort of an epiphany about how energy really is more than what we would scientifically think. Training under pine trees is terrific!

I didn't think if mattered til I practiced qigong and then did some meditation in a basement clinic in a hospital (I worked there and had some downtime while waiting for a patient). Within half an hour I got achey a fever and really sick by end of the day happened freakishly fast, before I did it I was feeling fine and I rarely get sick. When I asked my teacher she told me I was really stupid to do that in a bad sick energy place and I should have listened better. She was right, she did tell us about training in a right environment, but til that happened I thought it more about movement and and the mind. It was a bad experience, but sort of an epiphany about how energy really is more than what we would scientifically think. Training under pine trees is terrific!

I've had that happen to me a few times. I avoid meditating/practicing in hotels, hospitals etc like the plague.