Sign in to follow this  
fatguyslim

In search for true companions of the Way

Seems like Liu I-Ming's cultivation technique is more mind-focused which is the strength of the Buddhists IMHO.

Buddha's 8-fold path could be used as an implementation guide, the Pali Canon for further study.

All free on the net.

This was posted in http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/23027-will-the-real-healing-tao-please-stand-up/page__view__findpost__p__329009

"The exotic exercises that many beings are so anxious to get into are really meant to be a capstone, to be placed on a background of established awareness. They are not a starting point but a tool with which to probe more deeply into the nature of mind. There seem to be a great number of people around today who would like to work it the other way. Their idea of the teaching is twenty-three hours of unaware behaviour and one hour of some exotic exercise - preferably from Tibet, of course! That's a bit like trying to dissect a cow with a child's cutlery set moulded from plastic! Before any work can really be done, it is a necessity to establish the mind in the practice of ongoing choiceless awareness. So we shall begin to explore the ancient way of training oneself in this excellent practice."

Of course any view will be biased.

From http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/snp/snp.4.05.irel.html

"A person who associates himself with certain views, considering them as best and making them supreme in the world, he says, because of that, that all other views are inferior; therefore he is not free from contention (with others). In what is seen, heard, cognized and in ritual observances performed, he sees a profit for himself. Just by laying hold of that view he regards every other view as worthless. Those skilled (in judgment)[1] say that (a view becomes) a bond if, relying on it, one regards everything else as inferior. Therefore a bhikkhu should not depend on what is seen, heard or cognized, nor upon ritual observances. He should not present himself as equal to, nor imagine himself to be inferior, nor better than, another. Abandoning (the views) he had (previously) held and not taking up (another), he does not seek a support even in knowledge. Among those who dispute he is certainly not one to take sides. He does not [have] recourse to a view at all. In whom there is no inclination to either extreme, for becoming or non-becoming, here or in another existence, for him there does not exist a fixed viewpoint on investigating the doctrines assumed (by others). Concerning the seen, the heard and the cognized he does not form the least notion. That brahmana[2] who does not grasp at a view, with what could he be identified in the world?

"They do not speculate nor pursue (any notion); doctrines are not accepted by them. A (true) brahmana is beyond, does not fall back on views."

These words expound ultimate reality, even a muddled fool like me can see it very clearly let alone a wise man.. The one importance that all Taoist sages, including Chang Po-tuan and Liu I-ming, stress upon is the urgency to find a teacher and companions. This is so hard in this modern world and very hard for people from west to even comprehend this. This is one thing that no one seems to take utmost importance in and everyone seems to go on with their own ideas without true guidance. For this reason we are reaching out to the wise men all over so we can borrow your knowledge to break through our own ignorance. We are seeking acquaintance with fellow practitioners and people who cultivate goodness, rectitude and virtue rather than those who concentrate on physical or mental practises. I hope this post will attract relevant people and relevant companions, as it is our utmost importance to seek reality and truth, and have our mind constantly on rectitude and the Way of the sages. With much respect and humble inclination I look to your reply.

Thanks

I get your predicament, I saw much the same, and can only speak from my own view...

In the 2500 years or so that Tao has been around it has branched and merged and grown and been cut down enough that the result is a rather wide spread of opinions about Tao.

Not everyone is being "devious" about their presentation.

As I see it, Lao tsu for example, described some virtues he had extrapolated 'natural' man to have. I think he used the literary tool of a "Sage " to be an exemplar of those virtues. A sort of super perfect example. But I dont think he meant it as a 'constant dao'( always correct guide) I think it was a contrarian presentation meant to expand the mindset of his audience,, essentially saying that his 'retro view' of behavior can also be of merit so one should best not be so certain that strength was good and softness bad etc etc.. that it was circumstance which determined which would be expedient.

The eternal Tao itself knows no virtue ..the sun shines equally on the wicked and the just.

Sign in to follow this