Tatsumaru

Some say Mantak Chia is a fraud...

In a similar forum I noted that I've been reading Mantak Chia, and I was told that he was a known fraud. I kinda doubt that but then who am I to doubt any statement on Tao since I'm yet to start my journey of enlightenment.

I would like to ask if anyone has any idea why would someone say that Mantak Chia is a fraud ? As far as I know Mantak Chia may not be a supreme master of Qigong but definitely has some insights on the basics.

Thanks.

Edited by Tatsumaru

I don't know anything about Mantak Chia but here's a thing,

Qi gong by itself has a bad reputation since most people are somehow convinced that "chi doesn't exist" so anyone that even mentions chi and sells something related to it is a fraud. Some people inside the circle of people that practice Qi gong are called frauds by other people in the circle but outside the circle, the whole circle is a fraud. So be careful who you ask.

• Like 1

Mantak Chia's teachings got a bad rap because in his books on Sexual Alchemy he left out some critical tips that lead to a lot of people getting hurt through his practices. Some teachers would ague that such practices should not be put in a book but be reserved for a 1:1 teacher:student basis. Many people feel that publishing such a book was hazardous without the direct instruction of a teacher.

However, i think his book does have some very genuine insights, i actually began with Mantak Chia and it led me into the esoteric arts. Many teachers shun his works while other authors such as Glenn Morris in Path Notes praise his work for its clarity and depth. If you read his reviews on amazon many people have been successful with his methods while others have been injured through imporoper usage of the practices and risks that are not highlighted enough in the book.

-My 2 cents, Peace

• Like 3

Hi Tatsumaru, there is a search box near the upper right hand corner that allows you to search the archives of the forum. This topic has been discussed many times here.

In my view he deserves a lot of credit for bringing about greater awareness of Taoist alchemical practices. A lot of his basic material such as the inner smile and microcosmic orbit is excellent. The problems with the sexual practices are well documented and acknowledged. A lot of people probably also jumped right into those without establishing a foundation in the basics.

Recently it seems like many, many books on all sorts of topics (shamanism, diet, etc.) are being put out in his name. It's hard to imagine that he's writing all of these, but who knows...

• Like 1

I've pretty much only glanced at some of Mantak Chi's writings, nonetheless I'll bet that one could develop some powers with his practices; although from what I understand, Mantak Chia's writings contain a mixture of black tantra and grey tantra or gray tantra.

:unsure:

See also:

Sacred Sex: Taoism

Mercury/Hexiohehary

Edited by Shen Chi Jing
  • Like 1

i used to practice his first 2 books religeously

his inner smile and mco are good in fact very good and harmless BUT DO THEM EXACTLY AS HE STATES AND TAKE ALL THE PRECAUTIONS. here the only problem is bulding too much chi in your head or chest, but if you take precaustions this wont happen. Also if you or your family has a history of mental illness esp bipolar or schizo you should stay away from chi practices leading energy to the head. Chia states this as well, he also says if you have a tendency to have mental over activity to see a psychiatrist before you start practicing. TAKE THESE PRECAUTIONS SERIOUSLY IF YOU WANT TO AVOID CHI INDUCED MENTAL ILLNESS.

his million dollar point is extremely dangerous and can cause irreversible damage to your reproductive tissues even if done correctly, dont do it. He came out and said himself (or micheal winn said) to not do it

I am not a fan of using the pc muscle excercises either

so basically i think his lower level chi stuff is very good if the proper precautions are taken, (i never tried his higher level stuff) but i think his muscle excercises are very very dangerous even if done correctly. use Dr, lins mucle technique instead for mmo

Edited by alexandrov

I believe the basics to be the first steps in Qigong like for example - Awakening the Qi energy and opening the main energy channels. Learning how to collect energy in the belly and the basic taoism rituals.

I've been doing some Kegels for a few years and then I was lead to an article regarding the multi orgasmic male. I found out that I could have multiple orgasms if I stop the ejaculation with my PC muscles. For some reason at first I used to have from 3 to 5 orgasms, now I could only have 2 or 3 I have no idea why, still I haven't ejaculated for years and I like it. I'm 21 years old if that's relevant.

Edited by Tatsumaru

The knowledge passed on by Chia that I have studied and practiced was sincerely, thoroughly and cautiously presented and the results were powerful and effective.

Effective practice is not a matter of belief, nor does it rely on the intent of another.

Who here has written one book on a single subject, had it published, distributed and sold?

He had a day-job as he was developing his catalog. How hard is it to fool yourselves? Everyone is ordinary in this respect.

Even so, it's not for everyone. I haven't practiced those exercises in twenty years.

It is very important to open up the microcosmic orbit and I recommend his writings on that account.

If the other radically intense practices are not for you, and you do them anyway or you do them incorrectly, that is your own malpractice.

This is serious technology, folks. You all are personally responsible for your own actions.

Aren't you?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

However, i think his book does have some very genuine insights, i actually began with Mantak Chia and it led me into the esoteric arts. Many teachers shun his works while other authors such as Glenn Morris in Path Notes praise his work for its clarity and depth. If you read his reviews on amazon many people have been successful with his methods while others have been injured through improper usage of the practices and risks that are not highlighted enough in the book.

-My 2 cents, Peace

I agree with this. A problem is that these teachings are best done with a live teacher. I think if you could study with the man on a regular basis you'd be golden. But reading a book allows you to pick and choose. There's no feedback. People will over due it, cook themselves and complain. Others will practice haphazardly, get no results and complain.

I've taken a class with him and from my observation he is no fraud. He's not a high master either, but I don't he claims to be. In my eyes he's a pioneer, one of the first who opened the door to the Wests knowledge of Energy Arts. He's got talent and juice. Not perfect, but studying his techniques and books at least allows a practitioner insights and the ability to ask the right questions.

Bottomline is there have been a few bums here who've taken his teachings to heart and have gotten very far with them. Personally I prefer Michael Winn's take on Healing Tao.

• Like 6

He uses non pinyin descriptions and like Eva Wang this is confusing in the modern world where pinyin is used more often. I find his writing style more confusing than straight forward and it is always better to find a Taoist group to practice with than be stuck just struggling from books that also often contradict other Taoist masters. He is fine if you have people to talk to about his teaching and compliment his ideas. Often the books on certain practices make things look more complex than they actually are and studying too much can confuse people who already understand. Practice is better than over studying. In my humble opinion it is better to learn from many people than just relying on one person; especially an author you can't directly communicate with.

Edited by DA WEI
  • Like 1