Sign in to follow this  
Unseen_Abilities

Does Chi Kung compliment all martial arts?

Hi, I'll just give a (very) brief background-I started training in Mixed Martial Arts about about 18 months ago, without really knowing anything about Martial Arts. After doing some research I discovered that where I was training is actually a "McDojo"-It wasn't the real deal. So, after having tried out several different schools since I left the first one, I recently decided on a place that teaches Kempo and Jujutsu simultaneously, with better instructors and less than half the cost of where I was before. I've only been a few times but so far it's great.

However, in my research, I've read a bit about Chi Kung and how it's used for spiritual cultivation, energy development, general health, well-being etc etc and I'm very interested in starting to learn and practice it. I was just wondering if it would compliment the martial arts I'm learning, or if it was "designed" to be practiced specifically with Chinese martial arts? In other words, can I learn Chi Kung and experience its benefits without getting confused?

Thanks,

seeker89

Yes of course.

Qigong will add the balance to your training. In the future it should help you flow better between movement and add power to your techniques because you will learn correct allignment and better balance.

Many current MMA fighters add balance to their training through meditation, Qigong or Yoga. Off the top of my head there are Diego Sanchez, B.J. Penn, Lyoto Machida and Anderson Silva who I've all heard discuss the merits of these practises in some form or another.

• Like 1

I am going to give another YES! Not only is good for martial art, it is just good for life in general. The wonderful tthing about chi kung is that it is not a bunch of mumbo jumbo (forgive the cliche), it works if you do it, that simple.

Like Sifu Garry said, just choose the set that best fits you. Your heart will let u know the answer.

• Like 1

Yes.

There are lots of different forms of qigong. There are some forms which were designed with specific martial arts in mind, yes, so they may have a certain way of generating things, certain stances they use, and different ways of moving to ensure the internal cohesion of the strength they are trying to generate.

Other forms are more general, and their principles can be implemented across the board to increase performance in all levels.

Hi, I'll just give a (very) brief background-I started training in Mixed Martial Arts about about 18 months ago, without really knowing anything about Martial Arts. After doing some research I discovered that where I was training is actually a "McDojo"-It wasn't the real deal. So, after having tried out several different schools since I left the first one, I recently decided on a place that teaches Kempo and Jujutsu simultaneously, with better instructors and less than half the cost of where I was before. I've only been a few times but so far it's great.

However, in my research, I've read a bit about Chi Kung and how it's used for spiritual cultivation, energy development, general health, well-being etc etc and I'm very interested in starting to learn and practice it. I was just wondering if it would compliment the martial arts I'm learning, or if it was "designed" to be practiced specifically with Chinese martial arts? In other words, can I learn Chi Kung and experience its benefits without getting confused?

Thanks,

seeker89

Qi Gong is a wonderful compliment to martial arts training.

I don't think there are any negatives to combining the two.

I was just reading about one teacher who learned a form of spiritual Bagua which doesn't compliment martial arts at all because the basic stance of the martial arts is one of defence where you tuck in your body and vital organs, whereas with this particular Bagua teaching it was all about exposing yourself and daring to expose your body and expose your emotions, so maybe at a advanced level genuine spiritual Qigong wont compliment aggressive martial arts.

Thanks for the replies. I assume it's preferable to learn from an actual teacher rather than from a book? I've got an idea it might be hard to find an authentic Chi Kung teacher in my area, but I see there's a lot of books on the topic on amazon...

Most REAL TRADITIONAL KUNG FU systems have its own Qi Gong, Nei Gong, even a simple seated meditation is beneficial for all walks of life , just breath and understand this and that itself is enlightening.

Yeah, I was amazed to find how similar horse stance and gan sao in Wing Chun are to Qigong postures/movements.

Martial Arts and life in general comes from the Body, Mind, Emotions and Energy. Chi Kung helps refine and improve on these systems...as a result you will have better everything including Martial Arts

Thanks for the replies. I assume it's preferable to learn from an actual teacher rather than from a book? I've got an idea it might be hard to find an authentic Chi Kung teacher in my area, but I see there's a lot of books on the topic on amazon...

I'd suggest B.K. Frantzis' "Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body". Great introduction, great practice that's pretty simple and relies on natural mechanics, and it will give you a feel for the lay of the land.

Incidentally, if you're interested in the larger field of how qigong and martial arts meet, you really should check out his book "The Power of Internal Martial Arts". He describes many different styles of both.

Basically, I think Friend and WBBM can both be right depending on what direction you are coming from.

There are some methods of training which are harmful to the body. Qigong is about healing the body and establishing positive routines. So a Qigong system mixed with a physical training method or a martial art or a sport is not going to combine well.

As an example... The Chen style of Tai Chi used to be a family martial art with Shaolin origins. One of the members of the family took his family style and combined it with TCM and qigong principles to make that style of Tai Chi. Obviously some moves had to be altered, some created, and some even removed to ensure that everything was in line not only with combat effectiveness, but also with maintaining and increasing physical health.

Another example- I used to practice karated before I got into qigong. I've studied some broad mechanics of internal martial arts. I can make a relaxed punch using the internal principles which, externally, looks like a karate punch, and it certainly hits things effectively... but it's not a karate punch. Someone with a keen eye looking at it can tell the difference (when practicing in the mirror, I can tell).

Stephen K. Hayes hints at something like this in his first meeting with Masaaki Hatsumi. When Hayes was talking about his karate background, Hatsumi started to perform some of the forms in question. Hayes noted that while the forms were correct, something about them seemed "off", and paired with Hatsumi's body, seemed "silly". I think that, through the course of his training, Hatsumi learned a more full bodied, internally cohesive manner of movement. And when you perform techniques from a style that does not inherently have as much internal cohesion... well, it looks kind of "off". But you can't quite put your finger on it.

So long story short, I'm hesitant to say "yes, all qigong can help all martial arts", because, quite frankly, I don't think that's the case. As I said in my earlier post, various martial arts have various training methods to produce bodies and train skills which will help that art manifest in that person. For many Chinese arts, that means specific practices done in a certain way unique to that style to produce a certain practitioner. Those won't necessarily mix well with a martial art style which is trying to do something different.

And again, if you are practicing in such a way that is not the best alignment for your physical/energetic body, various qigong styles will run counter to that.

I still suggest "Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body". The practice there is general enough that it can fit the bill for general performance enhancement.

Sign in to follow this