Nihro

Suggestions for Music to Meditate to.

I was thinking that it might be nice to try meditating with some Chinese music and incense in the background. Does anybody have some suggestions as to a few good bands or CDs to meditate to? I still plan on meditating in silence and whatnot but figure this could be fun to try.

About the only thing I have in the way of Chinese music is the Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon Soundtrack but it is really good, I think it got voted as one of the best film soundtracks ever recently in some poll I saw

About the only thing I have in the way of Chinese music is the Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon Soundtrack but it is really good, I think it got voted as one of the best film soundtracks ever recently in some poll I saw

I too prefer silence, as the senses are involved already enough the rest of the time.

If you mean relaxation by meditation there is many types of music that could help. Not necessarily just the relaxative ones.

If you mean flow of the stream of knowledge about something (or nothing), I guess the stream can unfold better without given outer stimuli.

But some frequencies that I like to listen to are those modulations by john brian vale (they were available on amazon).

They to me seem to be free from emotional programming.

They to me seem to be free from emotional programming.

Yes that is true but even so some music can have a positive effect regardless of the emotions it invokes.

Sit under a freeway overpass. Sit at the end of a pier. Sit in a café. Sit in your room. Sit by a dry creek. Sit on a rock.

Don't hide behind your iPod.

Listen to your mind.

Let it go on, but watch it.

Think about what doesn't think.

Let it go on, but watch it.

Forget the scattered mind; watch for the shining mind.

Watch for the shining mind without thinking thoughts.

When you notice a thought, don't follow it.

Open and sincere, calm and unperturbable… let it go on.

(ed note: crossed a "t" in the penultimate line)

Edited by deci belle
  • Like 2

I'd have to agree that music is generally counter-productive for meditation, however, to just create a more meditative atmosphere when doing other things, any GuQin/Guzheng music is great. Wu Jinglue is highly recommended, or Gong Yi if you can find some.

• Like 1

I always meditate in silence but I do love music and have a very large collection and the first musician that comes to mind if I was to listen would probably be any of Brian Eno's ambient music like: Ambient 1: Music for Airports, or Ambient 3: Day of Radiance, the B side simply titled Meditation 1 and 2 are beautiful tracks. Also Thursday Afternoon is one track that is 61 minutes long.

Ambient 1

Ambient 3

Thursday Afternoon

3 Classics by Eno

Best,

Damon

• Like 1

I can only meditate in silence.

Anything that defocuses the mind from the object of meditation is a detraction.

During meditation the mind should have a single focus of concentration. To focus the mind on the object of meditation *and* listen to music is a dual focus, which is not the goal of meditation.

So, unless the music itself is the object of meditation, silence is the way to go.

• Like 1

I can only meditate in silence.

Anything that defocuses the mind from the object of meditation is a detraction.

During meditation the mind should have a single focus of concentration. To focus the mind on the object of meditation *and* listen to music is a dual focus, which is not the goal of meditation.

So, unless the music itself is the object of meditation, silence is the way to go.

"just listening" is excellent meditation, whatever the sounds.

:)

Try "Sailing" by Christopher Cross. Floating on a sea of consciousness.

:)

Hi,

I have found in the past the music of "Dead can dance",very helpful as in our modern living environment you cant find a really peaceful place.

Keep practicing....!

Wow thanks for all of the recommendations. I agree silence is usually better I just felt like trying something new. I figure it's good to break the routine up every once in awhile.

There is a good bunch of the following type on YT but after browsing a bit, I found this one great for the purpose of promoting relaxation during meditation practice:

Water/yin is a very important component that promotes Kidney Qi healing and nourishment. If you toss in the background sound of the rainforest and birds then you'll have an added bonus. :)

For me it is the unaccompanied bamboo flute, preferably the shakuhachi. But some crystal or singing bowl music also assists in reacher deeper levels of meditation with greater ease.

A lot of good stuff has been mentioned and there's obviously a lot of good stuff out there. I also prefer silence for deep meditations, as well as Kuan Yin's meditation of listening to ambient noises.

I do prefer music for moving meditations however. I really like this CD one if you're looking for more authentic Chinese music:

http://www.amazon.com/Zhan-Zhuang-Gong-Music-Various-Artists/dp/B00004SR3K

Also Chunyi Lin of Spring Forest Qigong has some great CDs, his Inner Beauty being just music:

http://www.springforestqigong.com/meditation_cds.htm#inbty

His Self Concentration track in his level one CD is great for sitting meditation because it starts off with some good affirmations and visualizations and goes into emptiness meditation from there with some nice music in the background. You can get just the CD or Level one altogther:

http://www.springforestqigong.com/instructional_tools.htm

For something else that's is more Celtic/New Age influenced I really like Gary Stadler's Fairy series, my favorite being his Fairy Lullabies:

http://www.amazon.com/Fairy-Lullabies-Gary-Stadler/dp/B000H7J9US (also on itunes)

It might sound a little childish but it's actually quite beautiful.