Sign in to follow this  
Stigweard

Taoism: remedy for a world in crisis?

by By Xinhua writers Li Jianmin, Yao Yuan, Jia Zhao and Xie Ying

NANYUE, Hunan, Oct. 25 (Xinhua) -- From environmental protection to crime prevention, Taoist priests, scholars and dignitaries on Tuesday called for building a harmonious world by using the ancient wisdom of Lao Tze, a Chinese philosopher who lived over 2,500 years ago.

During the three-day International Taoism Forum, which closed in central China's Hunan Province on Tuesday, about 500 delegates from more than 20 countries and regions, including China, the United States, France, Spain, Germany, Italy and Japan, exchanged thoughts on how to integrate Lao Tze's philosophy into modern society in an effort to solve existing problems such as war, terrorism and financial crises.

Read more...

:D

• Like 2

Hi Stiggy!

Nice to see you.

Excellent post.

Unfortunately, I don't think the race is ready for Daoism.

Laozi is not dogmatic enough. He does not offer a security blanket.

He does not compromise. His language is too direct, not flowery and vague enough.

He empowers the average guy - not something leadership is prepared to permit.

But we certainly can each do our own part and live it, that's all we can do.

And I intend to.

And if enough of us do that - who knows what's possible?

Be well.

Personally, if I could hand a Taoist book to a powerful politician who would read it, I'd choose the Wen-Tzu. It's a bit more direct on "the ways of the world", a bit more detailed than the Tao Te Ching, though it's sayings are mostly attributed Lao Tzu as well. Any thoughts about that too?

Sign in to follow this