Stigweard

Just dropping in to say "Hi" and share gifts :D

Hey, Stig!

As far as I remember, you wanted to travel to Michael Phillips to test his fajin!

May I ask, what happened...?

• Like 1

Very nice site - lots of info.

I would say one can learn ABOUT taiji online

but very very very few beginners can learn taiji online. :)

Very nice site and it's gratifying to see you living your passion!

I've only looked at a bit - all good so far.

I'll continue to look and comment.

As you know, I'm a 'need to learn from a teacher' type guy.

Nevertheless - you can certainly provide wonderful and accurate info and help people to learn properly, and avoid exploitation.

I also think that people can learn a lot (particularly if they are dedicated) online and, if they like it enough, they can always find a teacher to correct them.

Bravo.

I didn't see good old Chen Pan Ling style represented. I think it's very legit and it's reasonably popular in Taiwan and growing.

Unfortunately, I don't think the current leader quite fits his daddy's shoes but that's not a reflection of the potential in the style.

Very nice site and it's gratifying to see you living your passion!

I've only looked at a bit - all good so far.

I'll continue to look and comment.

As you know, I'm a 'need to learn from a teacher' type guy.

Nevertheless - you can certainly provide wonderful and accurate info and help people to learn properly, and avoid exploitation.

I also think that people can learn a lot (particularly if they are dedicated) online and, if they like it enough, they can always find a teacher to correct them.

Bravo.

I didn't see good old Chen Pan Ling style represented. I think it's very legit and it's reasonably popular in Taiwan and growing.

Unfortunately, I don't think the current leader quite fits his daddy's shoes but that's not a reflection of the potential in the style.

Cheers matey ;)

And I agree with your statements, learning online can only take you so far. The touch and eye of a good teacher is what you need to make real progress.

Actually I know very little about Chen Pan Ling style, and there is one very good way to remedy that. Perhaps you would be so kind to throw a few words together and drop it into the Tai Chi Discussion area and I will link it through to the Tai Chi Styles page.

:D

So perhaps the question isn't so much, "Can you properly learn Tai Chi online?" Perhaps the better question is, "Can you learn Tai Chi online well enough for you to at least get some of the benefits it offers?"

----------------

Don't think so.

I think in the beginning it is most important to have a live teacher as most of us are not aware of being out of alignment and how we hold ourselves- it is very easy to develop bad habits. One could probably get as much benefit from walking.

People who are really aware of their bodies would be the ones most likely to benefit. The average person not at all and it could fool them into believing they are doing taiji and improving their health.

It could help people who are already studying as they could pick up pointers and get a greater understanding of the art.

Hmmm a lot of things seem to require a master.

Why not compose meditations exercises and such that could be learned and done by yourself, not just tai-chi

Don't think so.

I think in the beginning it is most important to have a live teacher as most of us are not aware of being out of alignment and how we hold ourselves- it is very easy to develop bad habits. One could probably get as much benefit from walking.

People who are really aware of their bodies would be the ones most likely to benefit. The average person not at all and it could fool them into believing they are doing taiji and improving their health.

It could help people who are already studying as they could pick up pointers and get a greater understanding of the art.

I'm hearing you ;)

Cheers matey ;)

And I agree with your statements, learning online can only take you so far. The touch and eye of a good teacher is what you need to make real progress.

Actually I know very little about Chen Pan Ling style, and there is one very good way to remedy that. Perhaps you would be so kind to throw a few words together and drop it into the Tai Chi Discussion area and I will link it through to the Tai Chi Styles page.

Sure thing!

Heya good folks :D

Just wanting to share a new little play area I have set up: http://www.tai-chi-wizard.com/

It was initially just to be for my own students but as is typical of me it kinda got bigger ;) If you are interested in Tai Chi and it's Taoist roots please feel welcome to drop over and share.

Way to go Stig, nice site, Dao De _/\_

After I was exposed to Tai Chi by a teacher showing the school at morning parade I spent most of my life (school - uni - working life) teaching myself. While I made significant improvement once I met my Sifu, I would not have even been interested in Tai Chi that many years later if I wasn't still reading books and web sites trying to learn myself.

Way to go Stig, nice site, Dao De _/\_

After I was exposed to Tai Chi by a teacher showing the school at morning parade I spent most of my life (school - uni - working life) teaching myself. While I made significant improvement once I met my Sifu, I would not have even been interested in Tai Chi that many years later if I wasn't still reading books and web sites trying to learn myself.

Actually that sounds interestingly similar to myself Mal ;) I wonder if you would mind at all sharing ...

What inspired you in the beginning to want to learn Tai Chi Chuan?