mjjbecker

Taobums Q&A with Kosta Danaos

Since Sinfest has offered to use his two questions to help answer #4 and #5 for vortex, I would like to ask his number 3 question.

Fact Vs Fiction?

Are there any persistent or common rumors, misconceptions, confusions, embellishments, inaccuracies, etc that you would like to clarify at this time? For example:

a. Did you literally witness John levitate nearly a foot off the carpeted hotel floor, just like you wrote in The Magus of Java? Because while Jim McMillan believes that John can lighten his weight (qing gong), he doesn't believe that he can fully levitate..

b. Jim also said that John once had a friendly encounter with Mike Tyson and demo'd some ability on him that Mike apparently had trouble resisting. If you know any more about this meeting, could you elaborate further on exactly what happened?

2. My personal question to you is with your background in engineering, what do you believe Qi or Chi really is.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy
  • Like 7

I haven't read The Magus of Java, but Mo Pai is no less intriguing by what I have read on TTB. My questions are:

Since the goals of Mo Pai make it somewhat of an "Enlightenment practice," is there a philosophical foundation of Mo Pai which helps to bring students towards a supreme understanding of Reality?

Are there scriptures or texts in particular, Taoist, Buddhist, or others, that help to reach this goal, or are philosophies of Mo Pai all learned directly from a master, and through one's perseverence in the practices Mo Pai?

• Like 5

Mo pai originated in China, near lung fu shan mountain, supposedly.

John

Yes that is known, but there is probably 'more' to it than that. What was described in the book was the origins, how about the remnants? Kosta might have some knowledge, or heard a story or two.

Oi Make,

You are closer than most of us to him who consider you as a friend,

also you are a Veteran on the history and story by research to to look deeper into

arts you could get hands on in the catergory of Neikung and Qigong. Many years passed since I get my copy of the print of Magus of Java, my first book together with Bao Lin Wus Book from the Internet, because of a picture. Also for you many years passed and expirience has been gathered.

What would you MjBecker think would be the 2 Question which would benififit the forum readers as well as cultivators by asking Kostas? As Question which is state because of curiosity without practial use is not really helpful.

Many want to get "their" questions answered, but I think is to get an good answer is to ask someone because of his Knowledge background who can ask delicate Questions to

ask the Questions.

So I would recommend you to formulate 2 Question Mike ^_^.

Edit: Also I ask me. What would Kostas ask the TaoBums. ^_^

Q

Thank you for your kind words, but I am only facilitating in this matter, not involving myself in the discussion.

Any more questions? If not I shall pass on the questions we have to Kostas.

In regards to selecting them, I haven't counted the total number and whether it is twenty, or less, or more. I suggest that people vote for their favourite questions though by using the '+' feature. That way I can ensure the most popular are addressed.

Any more questions? If not I shall pass on the questions we have to Kostas.

I have two simple questions:

1. What type of meditation does Kostas prefer to practise in terms of what he believes gives him most benefit; for instance would that be standing (wu ji, Zhan Zhuang) or seated for instance (lotus, seiza).

2. Does Kostas agree with Bruce Lee in regard to his famous quote: Its not the daily increase but daily decrease. Hack away at the unessential. And can we also follow this philosophy in terms of spiritual practises and internal martial arts?

*Edit - to say thank you!

Edited by Yuen Biao
  • Like 5

two questions:

1. In your view, are there some few fundamental principles / mechanics pertaining to cultivation in general that we should keep in mind?

1. In your view, are there some few fundamental principles / mechanics pertaining to harmonizing essence that we should keep in mind?

• Like 9

Lets call it a day on the questions then.

I've not heard anything from the moderators or Sean, so I suspect they would rather avoid the poisoned chalice of choosing the questions.

I will therefore make the following recommendation:

1. People vote for their favourite questions using the '+' button for each post. These questions, up to twenty in total, will be the ones forwarded on.

2. In the event of a number of posts having equal votes, the poster who has been a member of the forum longest will be chosen first (dated from the when the user name used to ask the questions was activated).

1. What type of meditation does Kostas prefer to practise in terms of what he believes gives him most benefit; for instance would that be standing (wu ji, Zhan Zhuang) or seated for instance (lotus, seiza).
Great question. I have an expansion on that, if it does not exceed the limit?

Could Kostas also explain how the different basic types of meditation actually work - as in, what exactly do they each specifically accomplish? Like static vs moving and standing vs sitting or seated? And full-lotus vs half-lotus vs cross-legged? With or without mudras?

I've heard some explanations before, but was just interested in his own understanding?

/\

Edited by vortex
  • Like 4

If everyone can finish voting for their favourite questions by Monday morning, China time, I will sort out the questions picked and pass them along.

I figure it might be too late, but it's worth a shot.

1. In terms of energetics and nei kung, what effects do the typical Buddhist practices of Vipassana (Insight) and Shamatha (Concentration) have?

2. Were there any practices more focused on the "mind" level rather than the energetic level in the Mo Pai system? What were their aims?

• Like 3

Monday morning when I check is the finish time. Whoever has the most votes then will get their questions passed on. People are free to post questions and have them voted on until then.

"...let me make the website the following offer... (10) people can each ask me two questions, and I will attempt to answer each and every one of these questions (as long as they don't require an essay in response)."

Two questions per person, that do not require essay length answers.

Vortex, you ignored that with your multipart questions, which were in effect several questions under the guise of single questions. You stated yourself that you asked 'way more' than was offered. I also asked you to keep it to two questions. You subsequently did not edit your questions to represent this, but instead attempted to tag a bunch of other questions onto someone else's.

Given the clear nature of the offer and the fact you ignored it, I am not putting your questions forward-as they stand. That includes those that other people took up.

No doubt some will think this unfair. It is not. The terms of the offer were clearly stated, in advance. Other people followed them without problem.

I am being very generous here and will make you a simple offer. Take your original 'questions'-including the ones that other people have adopted-and turn them into SINGLE questions. Any multi clause questions must be limited to a SINGLE extra clause (two), and that clause must be directly related to the first clause.

If you can do this before tonight, when I will check again, then I will put your questions through. If not, then as they do not follow what Kostas offered, they will have to be overlooked and instead I will put through the other people's questions that did take into account what was offered.

Your choice. I am not debating the issue with you or anyone else, on this thread or in private. I shouldn't have to micro manage what was a clearly stated offer and its terms.

^ Sorry, you never asked me to go back and edit them. And I asked a handful more as group suggestions just in case we didn't come up with 20 questions from everyone else. But looks like we're a bit over 20 now, so I will go back and simplify them, as you wish.

1) Do Yin & Yang qi attract or repel each other? (Your book seemed to contradict itself on this?)

2) Does MoPai pose any particular health risks? And if so, how much of this is due to malpractice vs detoxing?

3) How exactly does the fusion of Yin Qi and Yang Qi in Houtian neidan (like MoPai) lead to enlightenment and/or immortality?

4) Did you really see John Chang levitate nearly a foot off the carpeted hotel floor like you wrote in The Magus of Java?

5) Jim McMillan said that John once had a friendly encounter with Mike Tyson and demo'd some ability on him that Mike apparently had trouble resisting. Do you know exactly what happened in this incident?

6) Is it possible to channel energy directly from from the universe for energy work (like healing, sidddhis, etc) - or do we have to absorb it, store it & convert it to a more usable form (like an electrical transformer) first before we can use it?

7) Based upon your long study in MoPai, qigong, martial arts and life in general - do you any key tips (like referred to in The Magus of Java, p 36), precautions or wisdom you'd like to impart to us?

Of these, I would be most interested in 1 & 3.

Thank You

/\

Edited by vortex
  • Like 2

Seems I'm late on this one. If I could ask though I'd ask;

1) Why do you think Pak John was so unhappy about your books

2) Why do you think Hollywood refused the proposal to make a movie?

What evidence can you provide to back up the suppositions in your questions?

State your source, and the evidence that they provided, and I will happily pass those questions along.

If you can't, or won't, then your questions are nothing other than the spreading of malicious gossip. If you won't back up those suppositions, I will ask the moderators to remove them.

Vortex,

You are clearly an intelligent, articulate person. You do your research, share your sources, make interesting comments and ask good questions. I greatly respect that. I also greatly respect your enthusiasm. Never feel you have to apologise for that and don't stop doing this.

Because of that I was-and am-loath to micro manage what you have to say here. I think they are all good questions, I think they are all relevant, and I think they are of interest to the other members here.

As ever the problem becomes one of practicalities. It is difficult to balance everything that needs to be done within the time available. So, we have limits as a result.

I am late in the game on this so no worries if it doesn't make the cut.

I just have one question.

Have these practices made you a happier person?

• Like 3

OK. I will pass along ALL the questions that have been posted to Kostas.

However.

I will make it clear which are the 20 questions that were voted for the most by people here.

If he has the time or inclination, he might choose to answer some of the other questions. I cannot speak for him on this and I make no guarantees that it will happen. Don't build your hopes up.

No more questions as of now though. Thank you to those who have made the time and effort to ask questions here.

The other questions, which I will also forward on, and which Kostas can decide at his discretion whether he wants to respond or not:

In The Magus of Java, is the description of the fight between the two masters that included phrases such as 'it was as if bombs had been dropped' intended to be literal or partly symbolic/figurative? Although I have experienced things like remote viewing and spirits, I found this part of the book a bit hard to swallow.

Q: How does one sever the Dan Tian chords in Mo Pai is it mental or physical? :)

Great! Thanks for doing this Mjj!

I'm curious about what changes need to take place in a person in order for them to be able to do things like John Chang is able to do (supposed to do, because I have to admit to being unable to believe it )

thanks!

I am in China teaching english, and wondering if Kosta knows where Mo Pai originated from? The exact origins/location of where it was founded, head quartered or anything alike. There could be remnants of when the tradition branched off that might accept students.

Could WarriorBBM or anyone else who understands what Dan Tian chords are and severing them means explain it to me please? I am courious and have tried to google it but found no answer.

I saw this chord severing recently around TTB and am not familiar with the concept in this kind of context.

Is it something akin to passing through the gates of fear, psychological and emotional ,spiritual detangeling ? Or?

What are the chords? How could someone severe it physicaly?

1. In terms of energetics and nei kung, what effects do the typical Buddhist practices of Vipassana (Insight) and Shamatha (Concentration) have?

2. Were there any practices more focused on the "mind" level rather than the energetic level in the Mo Pai system? What were their aims?

^ Sorry, you never asked me to go back and edit them. And I asked a handful more as group suggestions just in case we didn't come up with 20 questions from everyone else. But looks like we're a bit over 20 now, so I will go back and simplify them, as you wish.

1) Do Yin & Yang qi attract or repel each other? (Your book seemed to contradict itself on this?)

2) Does MoPai pose any particular health risks? And if so, how much of this is due to malpractice vs detoxing?

3) How exactly does the fusion of Yin Qi and Yang Qi in Houtian neidan (like MoPai) lead to enlightenment and/or immortality?

4) Did you really see John Chang levitate nearly a foot off the carpeted hotel floor like you wrote in The Magus of Java?

5) Jim McMillan said that John once had a friendly encounter with Mike Tyson and demo'd some ability on him that Mike apparently had trouble resisting. Do you know exactly what happened in this incident?

6) Is it possible to channel energy directly from from the universe for energy work (like healing, sidddhis, etc) - or do we have to absorb it, store it & convert it to a more usable form (like an electrical transformer) first before we can use it?

7) Based upon your long study in MoPai, qigong, martial arts and life in general - do you any key tips (like referred to in The Magus of Java, p 36), precautions or wisdom you'd like to impart to us?

Of these, I would be most interested in 1 & 3.

Thank You

/\

I am late in the game on this so no worries if it doesn't make the cut.

I just have one question.

Have these practices made you a happier person?

• Like 2

Vortex,

You are clearly an intelligent, articulate person. You do your research, share your sources, make interesting comments and ask good questions. I greatly respect that. I also greatly respect your enthusiasm. Never feel you have to apologise for that and don't stop doing this.

Because of that I was-and am-loath to micro manage what you have to say here. I think they are all good questions, I think they are all relevant, and I think they are of interest to the other members here.

As ever the problem becomes one of practicalities. It is difficult to balance everything that needs to be done within the time available. So, we have limits as a result.

Thank you, mjj. :) That means a lot coming from one of the few "veterans" like yourself who actually has a lot of personal experience treading this path. I also share your passion, so it was hard to control my enthusiasm here. As I have done a fair bit of research into this topic over the years...I wanted to suggest some informed questions that we might all find most beneficial (and not squander this great opportunity)!

But, I also completely respect whatever guidelines you guys proposed, since this was an entirely voluntary & generous offer.

So, thank you for allowing a little extra leeway in fluid Taoist fashion, while still honoring the letter and intent of the law here! As you said, it will be entirely up to Kostas whatever he wants to respond to - and I will be grateful for ANY questions he decides to answer, regardless.

Thanks again, you 2!!!

/\

Edited by vortex