Nihro

Finding difficulty understanding "Religious" Taoism.

We're all limited to a greater or lesser extent but what often annoys me is that most people allow themselves to be herded and dictated to. I periodically drop all my assumptions and return to beginners-mind yet after a short while end up pretty much back in the same place I started from. Most people live in a perpetual haze which is why the world is going down the pan!

People are moaning about the global recession like spoilt brats. They don't need to have holidays abroad or buy a new car and hoard all the crap that consumerism tells them they need. They are digging their own grave and are oblivious to the final outcome. Yeah breed, do as your told, work for the beast of vanity and greed and then die without ever really living!

So getting back to religion, I think it's just a control mechanism forcing people to conform so as to build a society based upon ignorance. As I keep saying, Taoism is about non-attachment and that includes Taoism itself. You'll find many people are part of a religion purely for financial gain or because they can easily manipulate the vulnerable!

So what can we do? I don't think we can do anything other than be true to ourselves yet people love a lie because it's the easy option.

"Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city. Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood."

LOL How ironic can you get? huh.gif

To people who are less philosophically minded personifications of concepts often works better for them. Thats why you get a God for every concept in many Asian religions.

• Like 1

To people who are less philosophically minded personifications of concepts often works better for them. Thats why you get a God for every concept in many Asian religions.

Hehehe. I chuckled and had a self thought but I'm not going to say what it was.

Brilliant! Makes much sense.