Sign in to follow this  
Mal

TTB Song project

Inspired by this (thanks Susan) http://playingforchange.com/

and the pile of people here who play music. Who wants to try having a go at something like this?

What I play:-

Sax (all of them - so with multi tracking I can be my own horn section :lol:) and Harp (harmonica)

I can do a bit of keys and singing (also clarinet and flute) if I really have to but there will be others here with much more talent in those areas than myself :)

Recording :-

My phone records surprisingly well, I also have a pile of mic's etc that I can run into the computer

What I need :-

while I can do multi track recording.. I really don't know what I'm doing :lol: would prefer to leave the combining of tracks to someone who is practiced with that stuff. If someone could remove background noise from recordings that would probably be helpful as simple mics pick up a lot of ambient room noise.

So any interest in picking out a standard song, working from a simple drums and base track as a starting guide (or just a simple "straight" song) then layering some sounds over that?

Edited by Mal Stainkey
  • Like 2

Mal this is genius. Santi is a mixing guru so check with him.

I can add Doumbek, Tabla or vocal if needed.

Edited by sifusufi

Alright, there is interest :) so... before we get to song selections (I love blues and jazz standards but I'm not talented enough to make really good jazz) How do we actually "do" this, as I've never tried.

I'm thinking of using something on my phone like the android apps

FourTracks Lite http://nomadicwhales.com/wordpress/category/fourtracks/

ULoops http://uloops.net/umc/index.php

(My fishtanks are in the same room as my PC so recordings on my PC pick up a nice waterfall effect from the tanks :lol:)

Then starting with a "seed" track that we can all muck around with putting our parts over, then post the file back here (mp3's are tiny) then someone else puts their bit over etc etc... and just see where we end up.

I can have a chat to Santi at class on Sunday, anyone here tried exchanging music tracks like that or have any recording program suggestions?

Edited by Mal Stainkey

Ok so I've used FourTracks Lite recording from my phone to make a 3 min 12 bar in E

I'm playing-

bass - Casio px-330 inc a simple drum track

rhythm - Hohner Special 20 (A)

chorus of lead - Lee Oskar Model #1910 (A) (stuffed the turnaround a bit)

some singing (so that nobody worries about how bad they sing :) )

recorded - Samsung Galaxy S II phone

mixed - FourTracks Lite - Android

Can anyone lay something over this?

edit : slight rethink as our upload limit is only 3.39MB and this file is 3.8 Ziped it's still too big, a .rar is small enough but can't upload that extention so.... I've uploaded the .wav to google doc's, should be able to download from this link

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B5map6JukXSCZTE0ZjViMDktZDVhOS00MmZmLWE1MGQtYTUwMzdhODRmNmZh&hl=en_GB

or

Blues in E.mp3

Edit:

also just the rhythm section track, we can add to this to get a nice full sounding section

Blues in E rhythm section.mp3

then using that common track that we can then mix in the various lead recordings.

Edited by Mal Stainkey

Well we certainly could cover Tears in Heaven,it's a beautifull song.

Not lots of room for improvisation (I like creating original songs because then your chops are not getting compared with Clapton :lol:) but if you wanted to lay down something as a .mp3 then we can see if anyone else can add something to it. I might be able to put some sax on it, but would need to get some sheet music

I just found this(basically a 12 bar blues)

Just a Bum - Greg Brown from In The Dark With You

Transcribed by Tern Roberts <[email protected]>

Standard Tuning

VERSE

C

I saw a man, he's a well dressed man, he had a tan, from the Yucatan

F

he had a car, he looked like a star

C

I said hey don't I know who you are

G

But when he glanced in to my eyes

C

I saw yes I saw was such a big supprise

CHORUS

C

he was afraid, that he's just a bum, some day when all his stuff is gone

F

and he's left with out a dime

C

time ain't money when all you got is time

G

and you can see em, standing on the corner with a

C

nine day beard and bright red eyes

(little lick rundown of 2nd and 4th string in C

Goin hey, hey hey hey hey, come on and listen to my story, hey, hey hey hey hey, ah hey)

Lyrics " Just A Bum "

I saw a man, he's a well-dressed man

He had a tan from the Yucatan

He had a car, he looked like a star

I said, Hey, don't I know who you are

But when he glanced into my eyes

I saw yes I saw was such a big surprise

He was afraid that he's just a bum

Someday when all his stuff is gone and he's left without a dime

Time ain't money when all ya got is time

And you can see him standin on the corner with a nine-day beard and bright red eyes

I know a guy, he's a pal of mine

I say, hey. He say, I'm doin fine

I'm movin up the ladder, rung rung rung

I'm gonna get my million while I am still young

But at night when he's had a few

His eyes say different than his tongue

They say I'm afraid that I'm just a bum

Someday when all my stuff is gone and I'm left without a dime

And I can see me standin on the corner with my nine-day beard and my bright red eyes

Goin hey, hey hey hey hey, come on and listen to my story, hey, hey hey hey hey, ah hey

Some people live to work, work to live

Any little tremble and the earth might give

Ya can't hide it in a Volvo or a London Fog

Can't hide it in a mansion with an imported dog

No matter how we plan and rehearse, we're at pink slip's mercy in a paper universe

And we're afraid that we're just a bum

Someday when all our stuff is gone and we're left without a dime

And we can see us standin on the corner with our nine-day beards and our bright red eyes

Goin, hey hey hey hey hey hey hey

Hey hey hey hey, come on and listen to my story man hey, hey hey hey hey, ah hey

The man of sorrow's acquainted with grief

Stands in line waiting for relief

He will tell ya it wasn't always this way

One bad little thing happened one bad little day

Heartbreak has bad teeth and a sour smell and lives when he can in a cheap hotel

And he's afraid that he's just a bum

Someday when all his stuff is gone and he's left without a dime

And you can see him standin on the corner with a nine-day beard and bright red eyes

Goin, hey hey hey hey hey hey hey

Hey hey hey hey, come on and listen to my story man hey, hey hey hey hey, ah hey

any singing guitarists? Not sure I could lay down the "base" but I'll do harp and backing vocals :)

Edited by Mal Stainkey

Currently playing a Conn C melody sax from the 1920's

Much more fun to play with guitars with their love of unfriendly horn keys like E :lol:

Blues scale E.mp3

Edited by Mal Stainkey

Currently playing a Conn C melody sax from the 1920's

Much more fun when play with guitars with their love of unfriendly horn keys like E :lol:

You'll never be an Earl Bostic but that was a good start.

I love the sax but I would agree that it must have background (bass and rhythm).

As well as additional instruments adding to and filling out the spectrum of sound produced.

I think the communication, interaction, the involvement of being together in the instant of creation is a great experience of playing music with others.

Livin' on the island, oh yeah.mp3

As well as additional instruments adding to and filling out the spectrum of sound produced.

I think the communication, interaction, the involvement of being together in the instant of creation is a great experience of playing music with others.

All Right!!!

Now get yourself a stringed instrument and overdub it into the places that are empty and I think you will have something going.

Now get yourself a stringed instrument and overdub it into the places that are empty and I think you will have something going.

That might sound nice, why don't you do that?

I have a guitar player that I'm trying to bring along in this setting. A 3 person improvisation steps up the level of communication required (who's leading, am I following, where are we going etc) Currently attempting that AND producing anything remotely listenable is too big a challenge, I'm under strict instructions not to post them :)

I think it's become harder these days because everyone is exposed to world class talent via recordings and there is much less "live" music created by local bands. To even get a foundation on something like sax the great players practiced 8 hour plus a day for 3 or more years! Get people doing that sort of work over that sort of time and the ones with talent will start to shine. They join up with the other shining stars of their generation. Learn from and inspire each other until one or two go on to become the "names" that people remember worldwide.

Thousands of others are left trying to eke out a living as another unknown musician, and tens of thousands just move on to something else (as I did) IMO generally most people just don't have that sort of time or talent.

So what's more interesting (to me) is not the creation of a "product" (professional artists dedicate their entire lives to perfecting that) but the process of creation. Often there are only slight glimpses of synchronization and connection. But once you have the building blocks the process of learning to connect them is incredibly enjoyable.

My Dad recently said - "Why does everyone keep suggesting that we go and play here or there? I don't want to sweat away playing for someone's Christmas party, I play for me."

Have you sung today?

;)

Edited by Mal Stainkey

If you have a pc, then the freeware "audacity" is standard and lays down multiple tracks, easy to use. (About to listen to your stuff right now and I'm down for this idea :D)

I'm using the android apps

Hi-Q MP3 REC

FourTracks

The quality and easy of recording has really come a long way, I can remember playing at my tape recorder :)

Here's a re-interpretation REALLY old one, originally called The Unfortunate Rake ~ 1790

" A song about dying in St. James Hospital could be a descendant of one of the oldest songs in the English Language"

http://www.ellismillermusic.com/Blog/Genealogy%20Sts%20of%20Laredo.pdf

;)

Yeah, many songs are like that - they are built off of older songs who's authors have been long forgotten. I don't spend much time researching songs unless a particular song hold great significance in my life.

^

Pinkie_pie_pleased.jpg

(hope she 'ant playing that harp, 'cause it's the wrong way round :lol: )

If Santi doesnt have time for mixing, I can chip in :) Tools o'plenty.

Sweet bro, I haven't asked as I don't really seem to have anyone else to mix in yet :lol:

Got a drum track that you wouldn't mind me laying some sax on?

(groovy bass lines, an entire rhythm section, etc.... ;) )

edit: Anyone know of an easier way to host files, I just noticed my version of St James Infirmary didn't attach to the previous post as the mp3 was too big :(

Edited by Mal Stainkey

edit: Anyone know of an easier way to host files, I just noticed my version of St James Infirmary didn't attach to the previous post as the mp3 was too big :(

googled

or good ol' dropbox @:)

Sign in to follow this