fiveelementtao

I spoke with Max

I have spoken with Max. He actually contacted me wanting to talk about this most recent rash of the rumors that are currently being spread about him. I shared with him my recent problems also.

First I would like to address Scotty's recent "opinions". Max has authorized me to relay the following message concerning Scotty's remarks about me, Sifu Matsuo and Max:

" I (Max Christensen) did not authorize his (Scotty) speaking on my (Max's ) behalf... Tell the Taobums that I (Max) said that you did not take any method from me."

(based on my communications with Max, I take this to mean that this includes any all statements concerning any "opinions" about myself (Mike), Max and any other teacher, including any unverified opinions about the history and sources of any practices of said teachers.)

Max expressed his deep sadness over the negativity that still continues to follow him on this board. Concerning some of the rumors about him, he said, "These people never met me...People still bend my words calling me and Kan frauds. It is sad when we try to pass on knowledge and people say things like my powers are demonic and such... Tell them I am sad about all this negativity."

I am speaking only for myself now. I don't presume to speak for Max, but I suspect he may feel similarly...

I know that many of you may think that we are being egotistical about protecting our reputations as teachers. But speaking for myself, when someone creates a new tradition, even if it has roots in other traditions, it becomes like your newborn child.

When someone accuses you of stealing from another tradition or accuses you of lying about your tradition, it feels like someone is calling your child a bastard. It not only hurts you, but you feel protective of your child and their reputation and their feelings. Perhaps that is just my human ego limitation, but it is also important to remember that most teachers feel very deeply about what they are sharing. It is very, very easy to make idle statements about something one has never experienced. So, to those who think I may have overreacted, I understand. But for those of you who are parents...imagine if a gang of people were sitting around calling your child a bastard and you a whore. Even though it is just words, it still hurts and it hurts even more when you know that your innocent child cannot defend themselves. Maybe I am over melodramatic, but that is how it feels to me.

I am not saying that one should just accept anything that they hear. You all know me better than that. But, if anyone has an honest question about a teacher or their teaching, IME, if approached with civility, most teachers will be happy to answer any questions...

So, that is one reason I overreact when people not only attack my integrity but also my "products." I put myself into my practices, especially the ones that I create myself. And I see them as my children. As a warrior, I get very angry when someone insults a child. More so when it is my child.

So, I strongly urge all those here who share their opinions about the practices of their teachers, please be sure not to make any statements about your teachers or their teachings without sufficient knowledge. Please get verifications from an authorized source before sharing it online. Once it is on this forum it becomes a permanent record that people all over the world can read. Opining without verification can be very dangerous to their tradition and can be more hurtful to them as people than you know...It also puts this forum in jeopardy because this forum can be held liable for slander if unverified rumors are not removed upon request. The lawyers wouldn't come after you but after the forum management. And if this forum got shut down because somebody wanted to get their gossip fix on, that would be very sad for the rest of us. So, many of you may be unwittingly be putting the owners of this site in legal hot water by speaking without verification. In my case, Scotty's inaccurate "opinions" about me are permanently on record even though I have asked them to be removed. There is nothing preventing someone from reading them out of context even though things were resolved in my favor. Those words are still there for anyone to read. People do search archives and may find them without finding this thread. So, be careful before hitting the "send" button.

It is also important to remember that many teachers depend on their reputation to make a living. (i.e. put food on their table and support their families). Speaking for me, that is not my primary motivation, but it is still a very real necessity. Many of the younger crowd here seem to have an idealistic viewpoint that spiritual teachers do not need money to survive. So, hurt feelings and bruised egos aside...When someone spreads idle unverified rumors on a forum like this it can have devastating effects on their business and their means of providing for their families. Please remember that before sharing unverified negative "opinions."

Those who have firsthand experience of a teacher have something to share. It is only natural that not all people will have positive experiences of a teacher or a practice. But, alot of you are sharing unverified negative opinions about teachers you have never even met and practices you have never even experienced.... And in my case, "products" you may have never even purchased.

Max and I both have had to weather some really bad negative publicity from some of the same people over the past few years. (seemingly at the same time). I know Max has suffered from these rumors and I have as well. It is embarassing for me to admit it because spiritual teachers are often held to unrealistic standards. But, we are human and if you can imagine what you are saying would be hurtful to you. It is just as hurtful to us. In my case, it is very easy to hurt and anger me. But I am still a teacher. I am just a very human one. I feel confident that Max may feel similarly...

OK, now I am returning back to my TTB's vacation.

Mike

• Like 5

Copied from other thread:

I have spoken with Max. Max has authorized me to relay the following message concerning any remarks about me, Sifu Matsuo and Max:

" I (Max Christensen) did not authorize his (Scotty) speaking on my (Max's ) behalf... Tell the Taobums that I (Max) said that you did not take any method from me."

When he said "you" does he mean "you" as in "mike (knows as fiveelementtao on ttb's)?".

Just as long as we're being all legalistic here, I figure we shouldn't leave any potentially ambiguous pronouns unassigned.

How I read it may not be how it was intended to be conveyed.

(based on my communications with Max, I take this to mean that this includes any and all statements concerning any unverified "opinions" about myself (Mike), Max and any other teacher, including any unverified opinions about the history and sources of any practices of said teachers.)

Now we can all be 100% sure.

I'm afraid not. I know you said that the whole "logic" "tit for tat" game wasn't your deal, but you can't have it both ways. You can't claim to not relate to people in that manner, and then turn around and try to play mister lawyer.

Unless you are willing to provide the specific communications which lead you to your conclusion, it is wholly unreasonable (based on the singular quote you have provided here) to read all that you seem to be trying to read into it.

The quotation you provided says two things:

1) That Scotty does not speak on Max's behalf

2) That you, Mike (knows as fiveelementtao on TTB's) did not take any method from Max

You may take whatever message you want to out of that. You've got the context and everything on your end. But understand that from the other person's perspective, they don't have that context. You might wave this quote around as "100% sure" of something or another, but don't be surprised if you don't convince other people that your quote extends as far as you think/want it to.

This goes back to the comment I left you in the other thread, about taking your own shoes off for a moment, and maybe walking in someone else's (the person you're talking to, a prospective student with less/no experience, etc).

Educated "opinions" are not authorizations to make claims about anything or anyone.

Yes and no (depending on exactly what choice of words you want to use :P this is what happens when you open the pandora's box of legalistic posturing :P)

A well practiced and well educated person is reasonably able to make general observations.

For instance: I have no knowledge of Red Phoenix. From what I understand, it's always been one of those "must be done in person" things. I've never gone to a seminar and gotten the transmission. I have no desire for the transmission. I've got my own thing. I let other people have their own thing.

Now other people, say, for instance, Scotty, do know Red Phoenix. So if they see another practice somewhere, it is perfectly reasonably that they can say "hmm, that looks like Red Phoenix! Interesting. This is what I have done with Red Phoenix, it seems to me like that is what's going on here, though it must be said that I am not doing this practice, but that is what I would put forward."

Maybe I missed something (in which case, it'd be nice to point out where it was that it happened...) but it doesn't seem to me like anyone has gone around making any set in stone claims. They've just put forward what they've seen through the lens of their practice and experience. And they've been pretty upfront about there being room for their being mistaken.

• Like 1

Scotty knows he isn't speaking on Max's behalf. That's a misunderstanding. He stated numerous times that he wasn't a spokesman for Max or the Kunlun community but just sharing his opinions. People on this board are free to share their opinions.

In my view, there is no negativity on this forum, and when there is it's rare. The general intent on thetaobums is good, Scotty isn't trying to hurt you and Seth or Hundun isn't out to harm Max. They are just sharing their perspectives from the knowledge they have, and whether that knowledge is true or not is why we have discussions here so that the people who read it can make up their minds.

Even when there was all the talk about demonic possessions or Max being fake, the direction of the discussions wasn't so much to put down Max and his practice. It was guided by a mix of fascination and fear that someone of his supposed caliber would teach the public. People have the right to be skeptical; that mindset is especially crucial today where you have so many false gurus.

Unlike what Max seems to believe, the general consensus on this forum regarding Kunlun is positive. Respected members like Taomeow, Trunk, Cat, and you (5ET) support it, and through the years his teachers have been found to be legitimate. Most people who have gone to his seminars, despite whatever personal vendetta they have, agree that his energy is real and powerful. They were all shared on this forum through personal experience and not some verification of authority. That personal approach is what makes thetaobums what it is.

If you are concerned about how your teachings will look on here, you should defend their legitimacy and their effects instead of going after Scotty. That makes you seem all the more shallow minded and overly sensitive. It's a great marketing tool too and not just a waste of time on an internet forum with some guy. IMO, I think you could've handled this situation better by treating Scotty's opinions with respect by engaging him in a discussion oriented around the contents of his skepticism instead of his character or past personal exchanges with you.

I think now you're just making a greater mess of things. It honestly makes you look worse. This is the risk of any teacher participating in public discussions like this. It's brave and can be effective in promoting yourself and your products but also a double edged swords in situations like this.

Edited by Lucky7Strikes
  • Like 13

Maybe I am over melodramatic, but that is how it feels to me.

You've also set up anyone who disagrees with you to look like a total asshole who thinks it's okay to gang up on a kid and call them a bastard :P

But I'm going to highlight something you said:

As a warrior

As a warrior one should practice discernment. People who are involved in life or death situations on a regular basis know that talk is cheap. A warrior must be able to discern if someone is a talker, or if that person poses a serious threat. Reacting seriously to a non-serious threat can be just as bad (if not worse) than not reacting seriously to a serious threat.

If your lineage is what you say it is, then it is not a child, it is not a baby. It is a set of universal principles which have existed across all cultures from ancient to modern times. It is a set of time honored practices which are guaranteed to produce results when undertaken through the proper training. Maybe I didn't get the memo, but last I checked internet gossip didn't have much impact on universal energetic principles. And last I checked, "warriors" couldn't care less if someone shit talked.

But maybe we have different definitions of "warriors".

So, I strongly urge all those here who share their opinions about the practices of their teachers, please be sure not to make any statements about your teachers or their teachings without sufficient knowledge. Please get verifications from an authorized source before sharing it online. Once it is on this forum it becomes a permanent record that people all over the world can read. Opining without verification can be very dangerous to their tradition and can be more hurtful to them as people than you know...It also puts this forum in jeopardy because this forum can be held liable for slander if unverified rumors are not removed upon request. The lawyers wouldn't come after you but after the forum management. And if this forum got shut down because somebody wanted to get their gossip fix on, that would be very sad for the rest of us. So, many of you may be unwittingly be putting the owners of this site in legal hot water by speaking without verification. In my case, Scotty's inaccurate "opinions" about me are permanently on record even though I have asked them to be removed. There is nothing preventing someone from reading them out of context even though things were resolved in my favor. Those words are still there for anyone to read. People do search archives and may find them without finding this thread. So, be careful before hitting the "send" button.

It is also important to remember that many teachers depend on their reputation to make a living. (i.e. put food on their table and support their families). Speaking for me, that is not my primary motivation, but it is still a very real necessity. Many of the younger crowd here seem to have an idealistic viewpoint that spiritual teachers do not need money to survive. So, hurt feelings and bruised egos aside...When someone spreads idle unverified rumors on a forum like this it can have devastating effects on their business and their means of providing for their families. Please remember that before sharing unverified negative "opinions."

Those who have firsthand experience of a teacher have something to share. It is only natural that not all people will have positive experiences of a teacher or a practice. But, alot of you are sharing unverified negative opinions about teachers you have never even met and practices you have never even experienced.... And in my case, "products" you may have never even purchased.

Again, gossip and rumors have about as much impact as you let them have.

Gossip and rumors have existed about as long as humans have. People with the goods tend to still be fairly well off. You can find DOZENS of "unverified personal accounts" of Steve Jobs and his asshole-ery, signed and sealed by people who knew him and worked with him, but people STILL worshiped Steve Jobs, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone looked up at the sky, saw a shooting star, and proclaimed to the entire internet that it was Steve Jobs ascending to the realm of the gods (:rolleyes:)

And he's a glorified computer geek.

I'm sure a warrior can do much better.

• Like 2

Scotty knows he isn't speaking on Max's behalf. That's a misunderstanding. He stated numerous times that he wasn't a spokesman for Max or the Kunlun community but just sharing his opinions. People on this board are free to share their opinions.

In my view, there is no negativity on this forum, and when there is it's rare. The general intent on thetaobums is good, Scotty isn't trying to hurt you and Seth or Hundun isn't out to harm Max. They are just sharing their perspectives from the knowledge they have, and whether that knowledge is true or not is why we have discussions here so that the people who read it can make up their minds.

Even when there was all the talk about demonic possessions or Max being fake, the direction of the discussions wasn't so much to put down Max and his practice. It was guided by a mix of fascination and fear that someone of his supposed caliber would teach the public. People have the right to be skeptical; that mindset is especially crucial today where you have so many false gurus.

Unlike what Max seems to believe, the general consensus on this forum regarding Kunlun is positive. Respected members like Taomeow, Trunk, Cat, and you (5ET) support it, and through the years his teachers have been found to be legitimate. Most people who have gone to his seminars, despite whatever personal vendetta they have, agree that his energy is real and powerful. They were all shared on this forum through personal experience and not some verification of authority. That personal approach is what makes thetaobums what it is.

If you are concerned about how your teachings will look on here, you should defend their legitimacy and their effects instead of going after Scotty. That makes you seem all the more shallow minded and overly sensitive. It's a great marketing tool too and not just a waste of time on an internet forum with some guy. IMO, I think you could've handled this situation better by treating Scotty's opinions with respect by engaging him in a discussion oriented around the contents of his skepticism instead of his character or past personal exchanges with you.

I think now you're just making a greater mess of things that makes you look worse. This is the risk of any teacher participating in public discussions like this. It's brave and can be effective in promoting yourself and your products but also a double edged swords in situations like this.

Can everyone +1 this post?

Knowledge is one of the most highest and valuable forms of currency. The knowledge of how to do qigong kung fu and anything, can be learned by yourself without anyone's help. At some level it makes whatever opinion and knowledge someone has worthless. The world is full of patterns and subtle hints on how to do anything and it is free, but understanding them is hard without any help. To get that knowledge, people pay time money and their lives, that gives the knowledge even more value to who teaches it. Just getting to a high level of understanding a principle shows power and powerful people can do anything. They can even make people pay for the knowledge and since it is not tangible, they never run out of it. Freedom of information is very nice and all and it would be cool if high level techniques were common knowledge but... there is my opinion and an opinion of a sword wielding immortal who probably can teleport

Don't mess with masteeeeeeeeeeeerz

Scotty knows he isn't speaking on Max's behalf. That's a misunderstanding.

It's NOT a misunderstanding. He knows he is NOT speaking for Max as you say. He did accuse me of theft. period. what is the mystery here?

He knows he is NOT speaking for Max. Yet, when I confronted him about speaking for Max without authorization about Sifu Matsuo, Scotty said... "Regardless of what Max or others may say" and then continued to spout his opinion as fact... what is the mystery here? The nebulous world of the internet with it's intellectual arbitraryness is the devil. I am convinced it will be our undoing.

The logic or lack thereof here is really baffling to me. There really is something about internet based thinking that is so contrary to what happens face to face. There is a sense of isolated narcissism that breeds on the net that never gets challenged from behind a computer screen.

None of these events would have occured in organic face to face contact. We all know it. Yet we try so hard to protect this alternate universe with it's arbitrary laws of personal conduct and hold on to our right to spew our uncensored thoughts that in real life we would censor because of the immediate consequences that would energetically happen from being face to face.

Things do matter. Words do matter. It is an illusion that our words and action have no consequences ONLY ON THE NET.

The knowledge of how to do qigong kung fu and anything, can be learned by yourself without anyone's help.

This is a perfect example. No one and I mean NO ONE who has trained in Kung Fu and had to use it in real life situations would EVER dare to say that someone can learn self defense by themselves. The difference between training solo and training with a teacher whether it be qigong or kung fu or building a house (assuming the teacher is legit) is that the teacher HAS BEEN THERE and knows the difference between self referential fantasy and the real world.

We need to get out of our heads... It's cramped in there...

Nothing left for me to say then...

Scotty called me a liar and a thief and it's OK. It's just his opinion. Witch saw max in a dream and said he stole her soul and therefore it really happened.

Anyone who wants to reach me can email me... I need a looong break from this place...

• Like 3

Witch saw max in a dream and said he stole her soul and therefore it really happened.

Anyone who wants to reach me can email me... I need a looong break from this place...

LOL amen bro, me too.

• Like 1

It's NOT a misunderstanding. He knows he is NOT speaking for Max as you say. He did accuse me of theft. period. what is the mystery here?

He knows he is NOT speaking for Max. Yet, when I confronted him about speaking for Max without authorization about Sifu Matsuo, Scotty said... "Regardless of what Max or others may say" and then continued to spout his opinion as fact... what is the mystery here?

Um, if he says that, then it means even more that it's just his opinions. And readers are left to determine for themselves if they find Scotty a credible source, and how much weight they should give to his views.

The nebulous world of the internet with it's intellectual arbitraryness is the devil. I am convinced it will be our undoing.

You need to deal with your issues/demons surrounding the internet and (warning: sneaky rhetorical trick of making the other guy look bad by aligning me with the side of freedom and truth...) free speech and the unimpeded flow of knowledge, facts, and fiction.

The logic or lack thereof here is really baffling to me. There really is something about internet based thinking that is so contrary to what happens face to face.

Yes. It's called you can find every view under the sun. You can find what supports you and what challenges you. It is the ultimate act of responsibility: to believe or not believe what you read on the internet. Do you stop and believe what you see? Do you research it? Do you follow up with other sources?

That is a very heavy responsibility that is put on the reader. Some people can't handle that. Some people get crushed by the burden.

There is a sense of isolated narcissism that breeds on the net that never gets challenged from behind a computer screen.

Right. Because in real life when someone is being a narcissistic prick we.... wait, what DO we do in real life? There are laws against punching people for being narcissistic pricks. So......... what are you trying to say?

None of these events would have occured in organic face to face contact.

Yeah they would.

"I heard of this new teacher called Max."

"I heard he took techniques from Jenny Lamb without crediting her."

"No way, I trained with him in a seminar, he wouldn't do that."

"He would, I saw his hard drives."

"Take that back!"

"No, I saw it!"

*punch*

What exactly are you fantasizing about in your mind's eye, 5ET, of this glorious face to face conversation? Because it would go down exactly as it went down here. Minus the punching.

Maybe that's it? Maybe you feel like you lack intellectually in a debate mode, but you feel that in real life your "warrior's spirit" would come across and scare away all the narcissistic asswipes before their wipe could ever meet ass?

I really don't know, I'm just brainstorming whatever is coming to mind.

because of the immediate consequences that would energetically happen from being face to face.

Witch can make people have wet dreams from a distance. Since you know Scotty so well, maybe you should learn how to do it from her, and cause him to lose all of his jing or something? Again, what exact is the scenario going on in your mind right now? That you would overwhelm pathetic weaklings with your warrior's aura irl? But since they are safe from your menacing presence, they have a false sense of confidence?

Because, you know, I don't know if you've ever had any real life encounters with insufferable fucktards. But I have. And they have a supreme amount of confidence from this thing called "the law", which says if you hit them first, you can be charged for assault. Which gives them a loooooooot of leeway to say whatever unverified opinion they want to shit out of their mouth at the time. Maybe you have a thunder wizard technique to make them crap their pants if they are within 15 feet of you and can maintain eye contact for at least 3 seconds. If you do, I would love to learn that. Because that would be an AMAZING skill to have.

If not, then you are romanticizing this "face to face" conversation in your mind, potentially to make up for your failings in your ability to deal with online conversations. In which case, that's an issue that I think you should look into. Perhaps ask yourself why you are manifesting failed internet communiques, and figure out how you can manifest positive ones?

• Like 3

This is a perfect example. No one and I mean NO ONE who has trained in Kung Fu and had to use it in real life situations would EVER dare to say that someone can learn self defense by themselves. The difference between training solo and training with a teacher whether it be qigong or kung fu or building a house (assuming the teacher is legit) is that the teacher HAS BEEN THERE and knows the difference between self referential fantasy and the real world.

That's the point, first ever master has learned from the world

Who is learning from a master is learning from the world

• Like 1

You are assuming that this person learning on their own is not actively going out and engaging in fights, working out techniques and discovering principles on their own.

yeah, a lot of things can be self taught. A lot of dojo training is fantasy and top students and gym guys wouldn't stand long against bar thugs.

Edited by zanshin
  • Like 5

hi 5ET,

i give you credit for actually going to Max and talking about this with him and conveying his message here. I am not going to take sides in the debate about what kind of tactics you should employ when confronted by criticism, but i will agree that at your level of involvement with cultivation, it's just about inevitable that someone has something negative to say.

i personally feel bad about even starting that thread the way i did. Lesson learned. I would not have talked about Max that way in person if he had been in the room with me. So that is my lack of integrity, for which i apologize to you, Max, and everyone else who got caught up in that mess. I will be more careful in the future.

i personally value both your posts, and your need to take your time away from TTB. I wish you a restful vacation full of blessings.

• Like 4

Knowledge is one of the most highest and valuable forms of currency. The knowledge of how to do qigong kung fu and anything, can be learned by yourself without anyone's help. At some level it makes whatever opinion and knowledge someone has worthless. The world is full of patterns and subtle hints on how to do anything and it is free, but understanding them is hard without any help. To get that knowledge, people pay time money and their lives, that gives the knowledge even more value to who teaches it. Just getting to a high level of understanding a principle shows power and powerful people can do anything. They can even make people pay for the knowledge and since it is not tangible, they never run out of it. Freedom of information is very nice and all and it would be cool if high level techniques were common knowledge but... there is my opinion and an opinion of a sword wielding immortal who probably can teleport

Don't mess with masteeeeeeeeeeeerz

Patterns is a teacher

Patterns is me

Patterns are full of fantasy

Respect to the Teleporting Sword Wielding Comrad Immortal Sinfest

from the Ever Mysterious Rosemary Blossom Immortal SIME

Maybe you have a thunder wizard technique to make them crap their pants if they are within 15 feet of you and can maintain eye contact for at least 3 seconds. If you do, I would love to learn that. Because that would be an AMAZING skill to have.

:lol: I would like to learn this as well! Too funny!

I dont know what the mystery is here, either.

except for this one:

That's the point, first ever master has learned from the world

Who is learning from a master is learning from the world

what sort of cyclical argument is this? you still must go and learn, you cannot pull this knowledge from the aether without first having a certain substantial baseline from which to do so - that is absolutely part of the point mike was making.

Happy you were able to clear that up Sifu Mike! Hope your cultivation is going well... ^_^

Warmest Regards,

Shen

OK, now I am returning back to my TTB's vacation.

Mike

20 months ago

Just a reminder, if you have questions directed specifically for me, please email or PM me. I do not want to engage in any public forum discussions for the time being. IME, if someone has a serious question they will be willing to put it in an email. If any of my students or those who have my DVDs want to put in their .02, please feel free. I will not be monitoring anyone's opinions or experiences. I plan on posting regular little vids of some of my favorite practices. but, outside of that,I am taking a vacation from any public forum interaction.

Blessings,

Mike

Patterns is a teacher

Patterns is me

Patterns are full of fantasy

yes they are

And just to clarify, this is incorrect

In my case, Scotty's inaccurate "opinions" about me are permanently on record even though I have asked them to be removed.

as reported posts can/will be removed that breach the forum terms and rules

Edited by Mal Stainkey

5ET, I am this obnoxious in real life too. And not much of a witch since I can't even FIND Warrior Body. :rolleyes:

I don't see how I've harmed Max's reputation all that much. It's one thing for a follower to say that a master is powerful. For a skeptic to say a master is powerful, the master must be powerful. I've been very clear that I initially came after him with hostile intent--playfully hostile, but hostile nonetheless. One would expect a powerful master to have strong defenses. Also I am a witch. I'm one of the bad guys. I'm an energy vamp. His lineage ancestral spirits or whatnot should be kicking my ass.

When I went again, this time with open palms, no hostile attack happened, just the energy draining.

The only bad things I've consistently said about Max are that I'm convinced that he's siphoning off a little of his students' energy to be able to give them transmission, etc., and that I don't think he's a good fit for most beginning students, that the energy he is working with is too powerful. Even the latter isn't all that negative; it just reinforces how badass he is.

Have I commented on his very expensive pyramids and metal cylinders he sells on his website? I could, but I haven't. I've just said he's a bit of an energy vamp. But I'm an energy vamp myself--I don't consider it all that horrible a thing to be. Also I've said he takes energy in order to give it back to the student as a transmission, which seems more than fair.

• Like 1