konchog uma

Daoist Nei Gong by Damo Mitchell

I was checking out the books on amazon.com and came across this book.

41vBNSkeIQL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I went to the Lotus Nei Gong School of Taoist Arts website, which seemed nice, but didn't really give me any idea if the book is worth buying or not. Sometimes its hard to tell anything from a website. Anyway the book is here

http://www.amazon.com/Daoist-Nei-Gong-Philosophical-Change/dp/1848190654/ref=sr_1_32?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319203442&sr=1-32

I was wondering if there is any feedback on it from knowledgeable bums. Thank you!

• Like 4

I was checking out the books on amazon.com and came across this book.

41vBNSkeIQL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I went to the Lotus Nei Gong School of Taoist Arts website, which seemed nice, but didn't really give me any idea if the book is worth buying or not. Sometimes its hard to tell anything from a website. Anyway the book is here

http://www.amazon.com/Daoist-Nei-Gong-Philosophical-Change/dp/1848190654/ref=sr_1_32?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319203442&sr=1-32

I was wondering if there is any feedback on it from knowledgeable bums. Thank you!

Awesome author.

Damo Mitchell is very knowledgeable and experienced. I have his first book, and he clearly describes between qigong/neigong, speaks to the internal energy system, and even some general information in how that relates to the Iching.

I have this one, but haven't started reading it, but it looks solid as hell.

John

• Like 1

Damo Mitchell is very knowledgeable and experienced. I have his first book, and he clearly describes between qigong/neigong, speaks to the internal energy system, and even some general information in how that relates to the Iching.
How exactly does he differentiate between them and what school did he learn all this from? Edited by vortex

Book is nice. Much better than some books out there claiming to have "nei gong" in them. It's legit neigong. I would definitely recommend it to anyone trying to learn neigong.

Just don't expect to go running around burning stuff with your hands like John Chang. because thats something that wont be found in this book. lol

• Like 3

Just don't expect to go running around burning stuff with your hands like John Chang. because thats something that wont be found in this book. lol

hahaah kali yuga i am a yin person too much fire qi is not my thing

maybe like ryu i will learn to SHURYUKEN

HADOUKEN

but not like dhalsim

@everyone else: thank you for your responses, i appreciate it. I flipped through the pages i could preview on amazon and it seems well-written. I think i will give it a shot, or maybe look into his other books.

on a side note, where does one draw the line between nei gong and qigong? I have read on TTB that neigong is an older term for internal cultivation and qigong is recently coined. Can anyone comment or clarify? Some neigongs are still but some move? So where is the line?

Thanks!

on a side note, where does one draw the line between nei gong and qigong? I have read on TTB that neigong is an older term for internal cultivation and qigong is recently coined. Can anyone comment or clarify? Some neigongs are still but some move? So where is the line?

Thanks!

There are differing opinions. Here's mine.

In my teacher's system, Qi Gong is used to refer to work that is done associating body movement with breathing. The internal work using the Yi is generally limited to the coordination and control of the breath and movement and the associated perceptions (which are often lumped together as "energy"). It can be hard or soft, the hard is preferred by the Wai Jia and the soft preferred by the Nei Jia. The work being done here relates mostly to development and regulation of the energetic body and organ systems.

Nei Gong is used to refer to the work of refining, clarifying, and developing the Yi, the way I look at it. Often, this is done sitting, standing, or lying down. The difference here is that body movement is not the focus, nor is any particularly breathing. Breathing takes care of itself (Xian Tian). Movement generally is more spontaneous as well. The emphasis here is on developing the Yi and making use of it to plumb the depths of oneself.

And there's lots of potential overlap and give and take. There is Nei Gong that is wonderful for strengthening or or working on flexibility and Qi Gong that is great for working on the Yi. So take any classification system with a grain of salt.

Also, there has been varying usage of the terms Qi and Nei Gong historically.

I tend to focus more on understanding the practices functionally.

Sometimes names are misleading.

• Like 1

It's interesting that he uses the name Damo, but is teaching Daoist practices.

He must be eclectic, like many of us here (including me)...

• Like 1

It's interesting that he uses the name Damo, but is teaching Daoist practices.

He must be eclectic, like many of us here (including me)...

its pronounced Day-mo, and he says he is not named after Bodhidharma its just a nickname since childhood.

• Like 1

friend you read way faster than me.

i read at about the same speed i would talk, maybe slower, i can't speed read and i don't know any other way to read. So after an hour i had finished the first chapter hahaha!

I'm a little ways through the book and just wanted to post and say it's very well written, very helpful, and has introduced me to some things i have never seen anywhere else, and which work for me. I am not far into it, and don't want to give any examples cause i don't really like to teach what i don't know, but i recommend it

I definitely have gotten benefit from reading what i have read so far, and look forward to finishing it. Thanks Damo (if you read this :D )!

I'm kind of toying with getting Damo's book. I have been looking at various threads on here and I had a couple of questions :)

Firstly, I was curious how people feel about this book a couple of years later and what impact it's made on your practice etc

---

Nei Gong is used to refer to the work of refining, clarifying, and developing the Yi, the way I look at it. Often, this is done sitting, standing, or lying down. The difference here is that body movement is not the focus, nor is any particularly breathing. Breathing takes care of itself (Xian Tian). Movement generally is more spontaneous as well. The emphasis here is on developing the Yi and making use of it to plumb the depths of oneself.

Secondly, I've been having a look at his video where he suggests some simple qigong exercises which I thought was quite cool and nice of him to put out for free. I've literally just started doing seated 8 piece brocade and I recognized some movements in that video. Does anyone know if he mentions in his book that his system/exercises work if you're sitting down on a stool or does anyone have any thoughts on this?

"Sometimes names are misleading."

Yeah, there are really too many names. New names are created for the same old names which goes on and on. Before one understand the old name, then there goes another to confuse the original. Furthermore, the concepts are still the same.

Edited by ChiDragon

Very good book.

Anyone read jerry johnsons book, as well as the OP?

How do they compare? other than price lol

Edited by SonOfTheGods

I have it too, but havent read it yet ... ;)

I have this one, but haven't started reading it, but it looks solid as hell.

Very good book.

Anyone read jerry johnsons book, as well as the OP?

How do they compare? other than price lol

I've read Damo's book and have discussed Jerry's book with people who have read it. My sense is that Jerry's book is far more advanced. So much so that I decided not to get it. Pretty much all of the beginner and intermediate stuff he talks about in his cultivation book has been published elsewhere and I don't want to mess with the advanced stuff without someone from his lineage as a guide.

• Like 2

I've read Damo's book and have discussed Jerry's book with people who have read it. My sense is that Jerry's book is far more advanced. So much so that I decided not to get it. Pretty much all of the beginner and intermediate stuff he talks about in his cultivation book has been published elsewhere and I don't want to mess with the advanced stuff without someone from his lineage as a guide.

got them both now, eventually will skim through jaj's book.

• Like 2

With the JAJ book, just take the course (if you can afford it) seriously... well also the book...

yeah I am wanting to check out Bagua. Just so much came up recently with that thread I posted- Qi bubbling like crazy. Once things get stable, that's my goal. I already circle walk, as it was recommended to me during a couple of Enochian Magick Aethyr explorations.

EDIT: my circle walking is not as elaborate as bagua, just simple deosil/widdershins stuff

Edited by SonOfTheGods

With your circle walking, try it with sinking into it and be back weighted ;).

like being about to sit down, like on the edge of a chair? Enochian specified that, reason I ask