Sign in to follow this  
zanshin

Civilization Construction

WAY cool site! Thank you for posting this. I lost the link and the file a couple months ago due to a computer bug.

It's difficult to capture the importance of their work without going off into dimensions of future studies, human ecology, peak oil, post-consumer culture, geography, permaculture, appropriate technology, etc....

One consensus amongst the post-crash crowd is that food production will become the most important industry when we no longer have the ability to use dirt to turn oil into food. Our social and economic contraction will necessitate forming our social groups on smaller scales with equipment and skills that can be readily commanded by people. The shit will hit the fan in due course but all of these people will weather the storm like kings because they're so friggin' bright and tuned in to the needs of post-consumerism culture. My only hope is that we can get enough people trained in time. Engineering savvy is not a talent that is universally distributed throughout the population; I barely got through college algebra! But I think I could make the rammed earth brick machine with a little effort.

http://richardheinberg.com/

http://www.ic.org/

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it; the best chance we have of making it through upcoming bottleneck is a hybrid modern version of ancient Taoist villages and modern ecovillages. These guys are doing the work that will make the creation of these communities possible.

Thanks Zanshin!! Are you prepping?

Thanks, that was terrific! Thought I should write a litle more about what it was, but you did a better job than I would have anyway.

Haven't been getting prepped, but probably am better prepped than most people. My parents have a farm with well water and wood heat, basically a compound with half the rest of the township farmers and related to me too. Trying to talk my dad into getting equipped to make biodiesel. The downside would be having to go live with my parents :huh: My fiance is considering buying a retirement/vacation/apocalypse house in a county with a lot of Amish families too. An Amish farmer bought it at an auction for the land and is selling off the house and most of wooded area. We are waiting til winter to make an offer, hoping once it turns cold and he has to heat it price will go lower.

Is it wu wei to be perfectly content to let other people do the work and mooch off them? :D

Sign in to follow this