Encephalon

DHEA (Dehydroepiandrosterone) overdose

Last December, my wife insisted that I run down to Kaiser and have my sperm checked out. We had been trying like rabbits to get her pregnant since June so it seemed the sensible thing to do. My swim team checked out fine but a testosterone check did indicate I was in the low normal range for a 50 year old. It turned out that she was pregnant by January and Natalie Jean was born on Thursday, October 6th at 1:23pm, so that story has a happy ending.

I was not up to starting a supplemental T therapy at all and started looking at alternatives that could help with general health and fitness maintenance. I performed what I thought was a thorough investigation of DHEA therapy, which is over the counter here in CA. I started slow with 10mg every other day and noticed within a few weeks that I was leaning out nicely and horny as a high schooler, which was actually kind of a drag but my wife didn't seem to mind.

I eventaully upped the dose to 50mgs every other day and then noticed a negative side effect; my blood pressure, which had hovered around 110/60 since I was old enough to notice, was up around 160/100. I first suspected the medications I had taken following shoulder surgery in February and started the process of elimination, first suspecting Norco, but I eventually found evidence that DHEA was the culprit. All the benefits rang true for me; greater energy, libido through the roof, lowered body fat, workouts that worked, but apparently it causes the adrenal gland to secrete aldosterone, the hormone responsible for blood pressure regulation.

Songs of Distant Earth got me started on Olive Leaf Extract, 1,500mg a day, and that dropped my BP down to 140/90 in about three weeks. I went ahead and ordered Divya Mukt Vati, an ayurvedic herb promising that it could cure HBP and attendant symptoms of restlessness, anxiety, and insomnia with no side effects. Within

10 days my BP was 110/66, where it stayed ever since. There is one side effect that has been recorded; some minor nasal congestion, a histamine reaction to one of the ingredients, but that's a small price.

There's a pretty cool doctor on the web, Dr. Ray Sahelian, who does not express happiness that DHEA is sold OTC in any dosages over 5mg, and his reasoning seems sound. I've gone back to that dose every other day and four days later, I am once again Horndog with low blood pressure and a wakefulness that belies getting awakened by 10-day old, 10 lb. screaming shit machine every three hours. she's an awfully cute one though and I woudn't have it any other way.

If your under 40 and reading this, forget it. You don't need this stuff until middle age.

Edited by Encephalon
  • Like 2

<_< Not very sportsmanlike. Lactation hormones cause a woman's libido to drop--Mother Nature's birth control. You are setting yourself up for adultery. Wait to take the DHEA until after the baby is weaned.

<_< Not very sportsmanlike. Lactation hormones cause a woman's libido to drop--Mother Nature's birth control. You are setting yourself up for adultery. Wait to take the DHEA until after the baby is weaned.

Thanks, but I don't do adultery, and I'm not at the mercy of my hormones. I have an 18-month window before my left shoulder joint replacement surgery. That's a lot of yoga and muscle rehab.

Nine months with no sexual attention and being super horny might make you waver a little on your views about adultery. It sounds like you have a particular medical reason for taking it, just keep an eye out for your wandering eye, that's all.

Nine months with no sexual attention and being super horny might make you waver a little on your views about adultery. It sounds like you have a particular medical reason for taking it, just keep an eye out for your wandering eye, that's all.

I apologize for anything I may have said in this forum that would give you reason to express reservations about the integrity of my marriage. My wife has always had the last word when it comes to "how much" and it has always been more than I need. We'll be fine, thanks.

• Like 5

I apologize for anything I may have said in this forum that would give you reason to express reservations about the integrity of my marriage. My wife has always had the last word when it comes to "how much" and it has always been more than I need. We'll be fine, thanks.

<golf clap>

• Like 1

in Kenneth Cohen's book Way of Qigong he strongly suggests that DHEA is jing.

in Dr. Yang Jwing- Ming's book Taijiquan Theory he hints at it.

Adultery is good. It promotes the way.

Do not fear adultery. Adultery should fear you.

When in doubting abstain. When abstaining abandon petty self.

Ommmmmm sha laa.

Do not war. Do not 'not war'.

If one can redirect sexual energy to escape the portal.

Is life about enjoyment if all joy leads to torment?

Are you weak. Yes. Do you agree. Yes.

The talisman is spinning now, do not look away but pay it no mind.

Do not look away...

Ommmm.

Edited by ATMA