Sign in to follow this  
zanshin

Heat

Cold this weekend, furnace wouldn't come on, guy coming out :glare:

Even with heat in the house, I freeze all winter long. I'd be happy if I could keep the house about 78 degrees. Can't afford that (especially with what I'll probably have to pay the furnace guy) and not environmentally good anyway.

Fall barely here and already tired of being cold. Any practises, tips, dietary guidelines to be more comfortable?

Lots of layers, two pair of socks, hat, warm stews, hot chai w/ butter. Hell put on a few pounds, blubber insulates :).

Also we have under mattress heater. You set it to go on at bedtime and no matter how cold it is you have a warm toasty bed to get into. Got it at Bed Bath & Beyond.

The most basic tummo is long slow breaths, w/ slightly extended holds. Holding the breath is said to be warming, breath out through the nose. Herbs that increase circulation can result in warmth, just as sluggish circulation makes you feel cold.

:) Nice, mmm, time for some tea.

got my cashmere socks and left over chili too.

Back to 70 anyway, still a little chilly, I am pathetic. May just try to pack on the pounds after race in a couple weeks.

oh my, tummo does look interesting...and complicated.

Yeah, I do like the feeling of going out to run on cold day, once I finally warm up feel like I can run forever and then when I stop stay warm a for a few hours.

I don't know about my circulation, heal quickly, no medical issues, but hands and feet cold most of the time.

There's a very effective Chinese herb which is specially good for women. Been trusted and used by generations of Chinese women all over Asia as a blood tonic, rejuvenator, nourisher, and is reputed to increase heat in the body over prolonged use.

Link here for further info: http://len7288.hubpages.com/hub/Medicinal-Benefits-of-Dong-Quai

I would advise getting into a routine of sipping hot water as often as possible, even during the warmer months. Over time (slow but sure), this will alter your body's metabolism and may bring about positive 'heat' increases when you need it. How long before you experience the desired effect is quite dependent on various factors... makes a difference when you can use de-chlorinated water for boiling. Never did any scientific research in this regard, just sharing from personal trial/error experiences. Maybe others with a penchant for scientific facts can chime in?

Naturally, tradition dictates adhering to common sense practices, like eating right, sleeping well, and maintaining a well-disciplined exercise regime (if you can learn to do prostrations they are extremely beneficial!).

All the best!

Edited by C T

enhance heat uptake - I started by using the heat vents in the car. laongong breathing. sip it like a straw, when it hits the sea it goes deep and shivers out the shoulder's nest. I do it a couple times in a row and I'm nice and toasty. not quite as efficient if the heat source is far away or if you dont really have a heat source ;)

smile.gif Nice, mmm, time for some tea.

got my cashmere socks and left over chili too.

Back to 70 anyway, still a little chilly, I am pathetic. May just try to pack on the pounds after race in a couple weeks.

Movement creates friction, friction generates heat.

Exercise your body! :lol:

When i was freezing my backside off in chicago, waiting for a bus, i stood erect, back straight, and "lifted" my core/abs. i held it as firmly and as long as possible, and sure enough, it warmed me up. Biting cold when the wind blows is hard to resist, but that's what running/jogging is for! :lol:

MOVE! :lol:

Out here in the desert, im faced with an opposite: I don't know how to cool myself in this heat!

Maybe Mal can give me some tips? :P

yeah baby, lets go run! :lol:

Training for half marathon, if anything I think I might be overtraining a little, sure warm for a while after long runs, but cold and worn out rest of time. Time to level out after race, will try prostrations, some of the breathing practices and sipping hot water or tea. My hands do get warm and fingers sometimes even swell a little with moving qigong, but that doesn't seem to last long afterward. Wish I could do qigong at work, thermostat controlled by menopausal women, so there I even wear a sweater in the summertime. I can run in the summer though, 90 degrees heat index unsafe- I'll go run 10 miles. Don't have tips on how to do that though, just not bothered by heat.

Eating well really helps for me. In the long winter seasons I noticed how much better and warmer I feel when I eat proper breakfast and snacks throughout the day! That's my only addition that I can think of.

Mmm, warm soups! There are sooo many great soups you can make, unf...one reason I love the winter is the soup, heheh!

Soup, skiing, hmm...that's about it.

Breakfast is a good idea, usually it's granola bar and fruit. I don't want to cook too much in the morning, but maybe I will switch to hot oatmeal and fruit.

Cold hands and feet...maybe also related to stress. Ever do deep breathing and get super relaxed, then notice how your hands and feet are warm? Stress can do weird things to the body.

Red wine is pretty effective for staying warm.

Cold showers, for like a minute or two, are also good (closes the pores and keeps heat within...can actually increase internal heat based on some sources).

Eating meat is warming.

Maybe try self massage for the kidneys, too.

Hard to say, but these are some extra things that came to mind.

Thank you.

yay, red wine :D

Cold showers might help, love long burning hot showers even though I know it's awful for my skin and hair, that and the car, I crank up the heat and some music- happy place.

yeah baby, lets go run! laugh.gif

Oh there's a funny little song remixed from DKC2 called Rambi's backwards room, or jsut the backwards room or something like that...

But it's in an album, not a stand-alone song you can download from www.ocremix.org however...

http://ocremix.org/album/18/donkey-kong-country-2-serious-monkey-business

That album is pretty cool :lol: Oh well, i cant find the lyrics either D:

Sign in to follow this