RiverSnake

Fasting Weekly

I recently did my first fast for 2 days and was considering doing a 2 day fast every week. I figure i am constantly putting crap in my body so i should clean it out on a regular basis.

Wanted to get the opinions of those whom have experience with fasting. Is it a good idea to fast weekly or is there a rule of thumb on how regular i should clean out my systems?

I recently did my first fast for 2 days and was considering doing a 2 day fast every week. I figure i am constantly putting crap in my body so i should clean it out on a regular basis.

Wanted to get the opinions of those whom have experience with fasting. Is it a good idea to fast weekly or is there a rule of thumb on how regular i should clean out my systems?

Hi OldGreen,

i wouldn't fast for 2 days a week. Your body might get a little shocked and have some unpleasant reactions.. i think that represents too much gusto for fasting. :) I am glad you had good results, but i would recommend at most fasting 3 days out of every 2 weeks at first, and building up to 4 and 5 day fasts as you feel comfortable doing so.

i would also recommend eating more vegetable and fruit content in those 2 weeks, and as much pesticide and preservative free food as you can. This generality includes growth hormones and all manner of pollutants. If you can eat 50% raw food for that 2 weeks thats awesome!

Remember to "eat down" to a fast, consuming less and less food for 3 days before the fast so that right before you are just eating fruits and veggies. Also, break a fast with easy to digest foods, preferably fruits (my favorite is watermelon). This will help your body not be in so much shock from fasting/eating/fasting/eating. Its also why i advise not fasting 2 days per week, cause you will need 6 days adjustment on either side of it.

I speak from a good amount of experience with it, so i hope my advice is helpful! Fasting is awesome!

• Like 3

3 days once a month is good

or

1- 2 days a week

It's best to rest when you fast

Some people have no energy and others have a lot.

Part of it is much body weight you have

It's usually more difficult for thinner people.

It's also a good idea to not put crap in your body/ less need to fast

Anamatva's suggested regime sounds perfect!

I fast regularly, although nowadays, because i have reduced intake to only one full meal per day, there's no longer the need to practice complete abstinence ~ what i do is on fasting days only liquids are consumed.... sometimes its just water, other times clear/light broths, like miso with a bit of seaweed and three or four half-inch square cubes of tofu, maybe five small cups over a 12-hour period. Preference is for the latter because the body seems to thrive better with a bit of nutrients inside. And in the warmer months, i do juices at times, substituting for water. Prunes, lime, berries, apples, pineapples, papayas, grapes, mangos, coconuts, bitter melons, celery, carrots, beetroots, mint - some of the choice ingredients which can be used to make delicious cocktails with!

Depending on the season, i would say its safer to stretch the lengths of the fast during the colder months if you choose to because generally speaking we seem to do less and rest more in autumn/winter time, so the body can do with a slightly reduced nutrient intake.

In fasting, its quite crucial to know what kind of body type one has, whether one's constitution is generally warm or cool. If cool, then the practice when coming out of a fast is to avoid intake of substances like chilled fruits, yogurts and cold beverages. The idea is to ease out slowly with warm cups of soup/broth, herbal teas, ginger infusions, stuff that re-introduces a bit of warmth back into the body first. Otherwise there is the (possible) susceptibility to catch some bug that may be floating around just waiting to pounce on a weakened immune system.

Lastly, the rule of thumb in fasting is to listen well to what your body says. Never force it to over-extend. If at any point during a fast where you feel unsure whether to carry on, you ought to withdraw from it immediately. No need to feel guilty or anything stupid like that. Just try again the following week and gauge the results. It takes practice, and Remember ~ make it a fun experience. :)

• Like 1

Anamatva's suggested regime sounds perfect!

I fast regularly, although nowadays, because i have reduced intake to only one full meal per day, there's no longer the need to practice complete abstinence ~ what i do is on fasting days only liquids are consumed.... sometimes its just water, other times clear/light broths, like miso with a bit of seaweed and three or four half-inch square cubes of tofu, maybe five small cups over a 12-hour period. Preference is for the latter because the body seems to thrive better with a bit of nutrients inside. And in the warmer months, i do juices at times, substituting for water. Prunes, lime, berries, apples, pineapples, papayas, grapes, mangos, coconuts, bitter melons, celery, carrots, beetroots, mint - some of the choice ingredients which can be used to make delicious cocktails with!

Depending on the season, i would say its safer to stretch the lengths of the fast during the colder months if you choose to because generally speaking we seem to do less and rest more in autumn/winter time, so the body can do with a slightly reduced nutrient intake.

In fasting, its quite crucial to know what kind of body type one has, whether one's constitution is generally warm or cool. If cool, then the practice when coming out of a fast is to avoid intake of substances like chilled fruits, yogurts and cold beverages. The idea is to ease out slowly with warm cups of soup/broth, herbal teas, ginger infusions, stuff that re-introduces a bit of warmth back into the body first. Otherwise there is the (possible) susceptibility to catch some bug that may be floating around just waiting to pounce on a weakened immune system.

Lastly, the rule of thumb in fasting is to listen well to what your body says. Never force it to over-extend. If at any point during a fast where you feel unsure whether to carry on, you ought to withdraw from it immediately. No need to feel guilty or anything stupid like that. Just try again the following week and gauge the results. It takes practice, and Remember ~ make it a fun experience. :)

Very Interesting CowTao, :)

How much would you say this helps your practice?

And do you maintain this when doing lots of prostrations?

One of my old friends is a Sufi/Silat teacher. He only eats one meal a day, no meals tue and fri {if I remember right} and only sleeps 2 hours a night. His main practice is Zhikir, and evening meditation, and he works very hard in the day land scaping, then gets home and teaches Silat classes every week night, and Silat classes all day saturdays.

He has been doing this Insane schedule for the last 20 years or so, but he said it did take him a while to build up to it...

In fasting, its quite crucial to know what kind of body type one has, whether one's constitution is generally warm or cool. If cool, then the practice when coming out of a fast is to avoid intake of substances like chilled fruits, yogurts and cold beverages. The idea is to ease out slowly with warm cups of soup/broth, herbal teas, ginger infusions, stuff that re-introduces a bit of warmth back into the body first.

Interesting, i am pretty sure that i have a cool body type. I am curious is this something your born with or can ones temperature be largely manipulated by ones food intake?

Interesting, i am pretty sure that i have a cool body type. I am curious is this something your born with or can ones temperature be largely manipulated by ones food intake?

Yes, i believe this is achievable ~ how far one gets would depend i think on one's level of mindfulness towards food and other nutritive substances which one takes in daily. In other words, beyond simply watching what one consumes, its good to know the whys and the hows (which means to watch closely and make necessary changes to one's habits and approaches towards eating and drinking).

Also, increasing mindful attention brings about increased motivation, will-power, and discipline ~ all pertinent qualities in the quest for any self-transformative experiences.

Very Interesting CowTao, :)

How much would you say this helps your practice?

And do you maintain this when doing lots of prostrations?

One of my old friends is a Sufi/Silat teacher. He only eats one meal a day, no meals tue and fri {if I remember right} and only sleeps 2 hours a night. His main practice is Zhikir, and evening meditation, and he works very hard in the day land scaping, then gets home and teaches Silat classes every week night, and Silat classes all day saturdays.

He has been doing this Insane schedule for the last 20 years or so, but he said it did take him a while to build up to it...

Hi Seth,

Getting to this point of eating only one main meal a day was a natural unfolding, so it does not hamper my practices in very noticeable ways. I still carry on as normal, even when i'm doing liquid fasts. I think it only gets difficult when we force the body to conform unnaturally to drastic routines. Its good to simply keep to the basics like listening with keen awareness how the mind directs the body, and act accordingly. This way the chances of harmonizing intent with action is greatly enhanced. It all comes down to realigning new habits so that old ones peel away without any forceful rejections. Anything done with force, no matter how subtle, will leave traces of trauma which gets picked up and then tends to repeat itself, which then nullifies all previous good efforts and one has to start again and wastes a lot of time and energy in the process. Hope you can understand what is being said here. :)

In many ways, doing prostrations regularly stimulates the body-mind to clear away the old stuff and prevent new unwanted stuff from accumulating and sticking. Try it out yourself! I think you will reap the benefits very quickly.

Great blessings to you, my friend.

Edited by C T
  • Like 2

What does work well for me is to spread the 24h fasting period over two days, e.g. I stop eating on Monday at noon and start eating again on Tuesday at noon (the start/stop times are arbitrary, pick whatever suits you). That way I have a 24h period of fasting yet I have food on both days so I don't feel hungry. I usually do this twice a week. I've discovered this idea in a book called Eat Stop Eat.

I have found that the biggest challenge in fasting is breaking through one's conditioning. If you can create a model of fasting for yourself recognizing this, and optimize your intake, and for each person is a little different. Many people like to think that it is the hunger or detox pain that is the most difficult but I have found its just the boredom of sitting around during lunch or dinner, not knowing what to do that can equal the pleasure of food. As soon as I read that you'd planned to fast 2 days a week, if I were in front of you, youd here me chortle and mutter, because I have had those similar plans and have not been able to do it. I think fasting for several days back to back is easier, just because you get in the groove of it. But each person has their own strategies, psychological strengths and physiologies, as well as goals and preferences.

if I were in front of you, youd here me chortle and mutter, because I have had those similar plans and have not been able to do it. I think fasting for several days back to back is easier, just because you get in the groove of it. But each person has their own strategies, psychological strengths and physiologies, as well as goals and preferences.

Indeed, i often have made plans for meditation and fasting that were formed of momentary enthusiasm.

The difference is that this decision to fast came naturally, and without effort.

-Thanks for all the advice guys. I am taking anamatva's advice and spacing my fasts 2 weeks apart. Just started my 2nd fast yesterday and am going for three days, Friday - Sunday. Drinking lots of warm water. I plan to come back from fasting this time a bit more slowly with maybe some hot soup. I have no desire to yack again. -_-

-Peace

Edited by OldGreen

I did the Master Cleanse (lemon juice, maple sugar, cayenne in water) for ten days for the first time last December. I lost 10 lbs and felt fantastic. I gained all the weight back because I returned to my original eating habits, which include a lot of healthy food but, alas, I like my carbs. I repeated the fast in the spring and used watermelon when I needed to abate the hunger drives. (A watermelon fast is actually a great way to cleanse.)

Then we visited our family for 2 weeks and ate like children and of course my weight went back up.

I finished a 12-day fast 3 weeks ago and have been much more determined to take my diet seriously. A program I've been following advises that you pay attention to "energy gainers" and "energy drainers" and there have been a few surprises. But my caffeine threshold is down to 3-4 cups of black or green tea a day and I'm training myself not to overeat. I've also eliminated red meat and don't go too crazy with fish or chicken either, but a new "Sprouts" market just opened here in LA and they sell wild game so I'll likely try a little venison after workouts.

My regimen will continue with a ten-day fast every 90 days, and if I can swing it, a juice fast on Saturdays. I love the feeling and clarity I get when I'm fasting and it's such a great exercise in impulse control an raising levels of will and determination. My nei kung practice and chi flow is noticeably stronger when I eat lower on the food chain. This alone is convincing enough, but mostly, I just have to do this because I turned 51 and want to take care of my heart as much as possible.

I would say listen to your body above all. Everyone's gonna tell you what works for them based on where THEY are, but only you know where YOU are. I've had alot of people tell me alot of things about diet, health, fasting, etc but it's not until I decided to "clean my slate" and take it by ear, that my results have flourished. I would say your best bet is getting in touch with your own bodily intuition. When your body really needs something, give it something but when it's telling you it's good, even if there's discomfort, just keep going.

My other suggestion is to try FIRST before fasting to go on a pure fruit diet. for a few days, then just citrus fruit. I know what you mean about the "natural feeling" of fasting. When you're body just says "you know what, I'm good, no food needed", and you HAVE to be in tune with that, you can't let people scare you into thinking "oh well i need this many ounces of water/juice/broth and I need this for minerals or this for that... The body is quite capable of functioning without all that, but like somebody on here said, it does take some "getting used to".

The biggest problem with fasting, imo, is getting off cooked food. It's destroying the emotional attachment to food, it's learning to deal with your emotions. I'm not gonna lie, i've tried going fruitarian ALOT and failed ALOT, even when I was supplementing with greens, herbs, avocados, etc. IMO, cooked food (not ALL cooked food, but most) is like a drug, it suppresses consciousness so you don't have to feel everything thats going on inside you. Eventually I realized this and began to really look at my relationship with food and would recognize that I ate to suppress my awareness of certain uncomfortable sensations. Kunlun actually helped out because it brought out, ime, the same things fasting brought out (on an emotional level, not physical). So again, to me, this is very much an emotional trial, even moreso than a physical one. If you can't handle/face your emotions then you won't make it very far imo. Even though your body may say to keep fasting your mind and emotions will be agitated and if you can't handle it then you'll break and eat something against your body's will, just to satisfy your mind.

Lastly you MAY want to do an "oxygen" cleanse using hydrogen peroxide or MMS or a parasite cleanse. Certain microbes seem to be responsible for particular types of craving, especially that of bread, cheese, starches and meat. If you find yourself craving these foods then try and oxygen cleanse and see if that helps. Also getting a colonic or doing a salt-water-flush the night before MAY help. Personally I drink large quantities of grape juice on my juice days (usually about a quart or two) and that flushes me out just fine without the discomfort of the salt-water. But either way, clearing out the colon helps as well. And again, you MAY want to. I didn't and i'm doing just fine but if you experience troubles, then that MAY make it easier. Anyway, best of luck to you.

-Astral

P.S. if you're the intellectual type, have you ever read some works by Dr Arnold Erhet? The more I explore the more I find what he says to be true. If you'd like to check out his two greatest books I posted them up for free download on THIS THREAD...

Edited by Astral_Anima

I've started trying to fast one day a week. I thought I would be ravenously hungry but I'm not. It's a wee bit uncomfortable just because I'm not used to it but nothing I haven't been able to deal with. I was finally convinced to give it a shot after reading several sources.

One that was really influential was this one:

Top Ten Fasting Myths Debunked.

I cracked up at the photo included.

Gotta luv that Broscience. :lol:

Brad Pilon's Eat Stop Eat is also good which Candide summed up in a nutshell.

I also read

The Alternate Day Diet

and

The Longevity Diet

I've started trying to fast one day a week. I thought I would be ravenously hungry but I'm not. It's a wee bit uncomfortable just because I'm not used to it but nothing I haven't been able to deal with. I was finally convinced to give it a shot after reading several sources.

One that was really influential was this one:

Top Ten Fasting Myths Debunked.

I cracked up at the photo included.

Gotta luv that Broscience. :lol:

Brad Pilon's Eat Stop Eat is also good which Candide summed up in a nutshell.

I also read

The Alternate Day Diet

and

The Longevity Diet

Really interesting Serene :)

Could you give a general breakdown of how/what to practice/eat/not eat, and why from the books?

I do one juice day a week, mainly with fresh carrot and ginger juice. I used to do water fast days but since I need to stay active and straight fasting makes me weak I decided to switch to a (delicious) juice fast :) Probably not quite the same as a water fast but I do get a similar "detox" feeling out of it, plus it gives my system a day of rest.

Edited by Sonhoffman

Once a week is great. Make sure you drink plenty of purified water that day, Sundays are great for it as it is normally the most chilled day of the week. I also recommend the fast by having a very light last meal the day before in order to avoid shocking your physical body and the ego-mind.

But ultimately a 40-day fast is the real challenge, practice that has been followed by many mystics in the past and today as well. I haven't undergone this feat but from what I heard it really keeps the ego under the ropes.

Once a week is great. Make sure you drink plenty of purified water that day, Sundays are great for it as it is normally the most chilled day of the week. I also recommend the fast by having a very light last meal the day before in order to avoid shocking your physical body and the ego-mind.

But ultimately a 40-day fast is the real challenge, practice that has been followed by many mystics in the past and today as well. I haven't undergone this feat but from what I heard it really keeps the ego under the ropes.

40 days is heavy! thats a serious accomplishment indeed.

fasting past 24 hours is really the vital thing, that is the marker that gets the enzymes out of your stomach and into your bloodstream, where they start bonding with the heavy particles in your organs and tissues and dragging them out of where they are lodged. So i think for most people, just fasting 2 days is more important than fasting for long stretches! I am not saying you are wrong Gerard, I don't even know about experience about a 40 day fast, but i have done a couple 21 days fasts and that was spiritually awakening, as you say, keeping the ego on its heels.

40 days is for very advanced people, so most people have to build up to that sort of thing slowly and carefully. If they go for it right away, there can be problems, or course.

When i got to the 10 days marker i found that i could relax into the fast and accept it easily, and i also remember the sensation of energy circuits opening up that allowed me to gain energy from my environment without eating. I was clenched until i kinda "popped" open, and then fasting became a lot easier and i became a lot more sensitive. Hahaha i remember being able to know when i was close to trees because I could tell the oxygen levels in the air i was breathing from the levels in air that wasn't near trees.

But mostly, what is important is fasting beyond the 24 hour mark, because that is how long the stomach enzymes have to go without food before they start circulating in to the bloodstream and cleaning the body up on a physical level. All that energetic stuff could be different for me than anyone else, and it might be something that some have opened up in different ways, so take all that as just personal experience. But 24 hours is the physiological mechanism of hte human body!

:)

Really interesting Serene :)

Could you give a general breakdown of how/what to practice/eat/not eat, and why from the books?

Glad to Seth.

The Alternate Day Diet isn't really a true fasting diet. It's just that every other day you have a very low calorie day. From the time you wake up to the time you go to sleep you restrict yourself to 500 calories or less on alternating days. The other days you eat as normal. According to the author he got the idea based off of many decades of research both with humans and lab rats and mice. Metabolically it has many of the same effects as that of the Longevity Diet and fasting except it does allow you to eat at least a little something on the alternate days. You could of course even eat complete junk food (though he doesn't recommend it) if you wanted as long as it didn't break that 500 cal limit. It has some similar effects to the book I list next though not completely because this diet does not Mini-Max.

The Longevity Diet's main focus is drawing from 70+ years of research showing calorie restriction hugely extends both youth and maximum lifespan. That is - it would be as if you perpetually had the body of say - a 35 - 40 year old (assuming you started then) - right up until the last 2 - 3 years of your 120 year life. The final 2 - 3 years you'd finally start seeing signs of traditional old age kick in. Now to get the above you'd have to do the Longevity Diet hardcore. Cut your overall calorie intake every single day for the rest of your life by 30% of what is necessary for what science says is a normal, healthy weighted individual in your category. That's exceedingly difficult to pull off and very, very, VERY few people are able to do it. So most aim for a more modest and doable 10%.

You try to maximize the variety of nutrients per calorie for your target calorie goal. You want to try to gradually bring your bodyweight slightly under what science says is a healthy weight for your body structure. It has a whole host of knockon effects and the book has lengthy chapters detailing the effects and the science behind it. Your body's everyday temp will fall for example. A marker that 70+ years of research consistently shows happens alongside extending maximum lifespan. You'll get cold easier too since your body won't be as metabolically active as at a "normal" weight.

In the beginning it's not an easy diet to follow simply because it's not easy to eat the right mix of foods in a minimized calorie target that fulfills those two requirements at the same time. You're Mini-Maxing. People who follow this diet typically call it CRON - Calorie Restriction with Optimal Nutrition.

Here's a link to a website that details it and some of the science behind it with advice on how to get started along with tracking software to help you mini-max.

I myself have wondered if I could mix a once a week fasting day with a slight CRON style diet. For example...by mixing the two would I only need to cut calories by 5% instead of the usual 10% of most CRONers? I don't know. I can't tell you what or how to eat because I'm only beginning this myself. Those two books are pretty flexible. They don't really tell you what to eat or when to eat in a strict regimen. They're more telling you here is the research to show why you might want to do it. Then you figure out how to implement it yourself following their suggestions.

CRON's something I'm considering testing out once I get habituated to the once a week fast day.

• Like 1

40 days is heavy! thats a serious accomplishment indeed.

fasting past 24 hours is really the vital thing, that is the marker that gets the enzymes out of your stomach and into your bloodstream, where they start bonding with the heavy particles in your organs and tissues and dragging them out of where they are lodged. So i think for most people, just fasting 2 days is more important than fasting for long stretches! I am not saying you are wrong Gerard, I don't even know about experience about a 40 day fast, but i have done a couple 21 days fasts and that was spiritually awakening, as you say, keeping the ego on its heels.

40 days is for very advanced people, so most people have to build up to that sort of thing slowly and carefully. If they go for it right away, there can be problems, or course.

When i got to the 10 days marker i found that i could relax into the fast and accept it easily, and i also remember the sensation of energy circuits opening up that allowed me to gain energy from my environment without eating. I was clenched until i kinda "popped" open, and then fasting became a lot easier and i became a lot more sensitive. Hahaha i remember being able to know when i was close to trees because I could tell the oxygen levels in the air i was breathing from the levels in air that wasn't near trees.

But mostly, what is important is fasting beyond the 24 hour mark, because that is how long the stomach enzymes have to go without food before they start circulating in to the bloodstream and cleaning the body up on a physical level. All that energetic stuff could be different for me than anyone else, and it might be something that some have opened up in different ways, so take all that as just personal experience. But 24 hours is the physiological mechanism of hte human body!

:)

Good points. Even a one-day fast will give some of that enzymatic cleansing since it's actually 36 hours if you stop eating the night before and start again the next morning. Juice fasting has the advantage of introducing a huge amount of enzymes (Qi) via freshly squeezed juices to the system. Not sure if it's as good as a water fast for detox though.

Anamatva,

Could you link to any research about this or the search terms I can use to call up relevant research in a search engine? I am curious as to how stomach enzymes migrate out of the stomach and into the bloodstream. I ran a search on Pubmed but I'm not really seeing anything about the stomach enzyme to blood migration nor of the "cleaning" action they do once in the bloodstream.

I'm genuinely curious about this as I've never heard about this phenomenon. :)

Good points. Even a one-day fast will give some of that enzymatic cleansing since it's actually 36 hours if you stop eating the night before and start again the next morning. Juice fasting has the advantage of introducing a huge amount of enzymes (Qi) via freshly squeezed juices to the system. Not sure if it's as good as a water fast for detox though.

those enzymes can target specific organs (depends on the vegetable juiced) and be more beneficial than just water in that way

but just water is also super cleansing, and also more a spiritual fast than a physical one, or i should say both a spiritual fast and a physical one

yes enzymes are very bioenergetic (qi)

Anamatva,

Could you link to any research about this or the search terms I can use to call up relevant research in a search engine? I am curious as to how stomach enzymes migrate out of the stomach and into the bloodstream. I ran a search on Pubmed but I'm not really seeing anything about the stomach enzyme to blood migration nor of the "cleaning" action they do once in the bloodstream.

I'm genuinely curious about this as I've never heard about this phenomenon. :)

hey sereneblue,

Daniel Reid's "Tao of Health, Sex, and Longevity" p. 131

"Fasting triggers a truly wondrous cleansing process that reaches right down to each and every cell and tissue in the body. Within 24 hours of curtailing food intake, enzymes stop entering the stomach and travel instead into the intestines and into the bloodstream, where they circulate and gobble up all sorts of waste matter, including dead and damaged cells, unwelcome microbes, metabolic wastes, and pollutants. All organs and glands get a mch needed and well deserved rest, during which their tissues are purified and rejuvenated nad their functions balanced and regulated. The entire alimentary canal is swept clean, and what comes out the lower end should astonish and disgust first time fasters sufficiently to make fasting a colon cleansing a lifelong habit. "

thanks for making me dig back into the archives! For a minute i wasn't sure where i heard that. As to finding corroborating sources of information, good luck. I don't know what to tell you except that sorry

hey sereneblue,

Daniel Reid's "Tao of Health, Sex, and Longevity" p. 131

"Fasting triggers a truly wondrous cleansing process that reaches right down to each and every cell and tissue in the body. Within 24 hours of curtailing food intake, enzymes stop entering the stomach and travel instead into the intestines and into the bloodstream, where they circulate and gobble up all sorts of waste matter, including dead and damaged cells, unwelcome microbes, metabolic wastes, and pollutants. All organs and glands get a mch needed and well deserved rest, during which their tissues are purified and rejuvenated nad their functions balanced and regulated. The entire alimentary canal is swept clean, and what comes out the lower end should astonish and disgust first time fasters sufficiently to make fasting a colon cleansing a lifelong habit. "

thanks for making me dig back into the archives! For a minute i wasn't sure where i heard that. As to finding corroborating sources of information, good luck. I don't know what to tell you except that sorry

Hehe that's where I read about too. It's a fine book but has many scientific claims I haven't encountered elsewhere. That doesn't mean they aren't true of course.