bronzebow

Any Good Martial Bagua Teacher In Melbourne?

Well ever since I came down south from up north I've been walking the Bagua circle by myself. Looking to find a teacher and get some Roushou happening. So anyone know of anyone good down here? I've met two teachers but upon closer inspection there's no Roushou - ever. On second thoughts if there's no decent Bagua what else is good down here? For the record I'm probably more interested in internal arts than external arts but what the hell if it's a good teacher it's worth checking out.

Bronzebow,

I dont know if this will be of any use to you or not,as I am too new at such things to assess them.But Ive been taking Yang Tai Ji lessons from Mark Mayers,an instructor in the Western Suburbs ( he teaches at the Yarraville Buddhist College saturday afternoons,& I think out in Mornington on Thursday nights).Now I havent been getting Bagua instruction from him,though Im sure he is a practitioner. But I have found the Tai Ji -Chi Gong lessons informative ,& the Tai Ji form challenging.

He seems to be fairly conscious of the power dynamics of Tai Ji ( as far as I can tell anyhow,which may not be saying much),so I imagine his approach to tthe other arts would have the same depth.

His number is 1300 725 934 & hes a very pleasant & obliging sort ( as long as you dont ring at an unreasonable hour :lol: ). Im sure he wouldnt mind answering any inquiries about Bagua,I just dont know if he actually teaches the stuff.

Hope thats of some use.

Regards,Cloud :)

Edited by cloud recluse

Cool thanks for the replies guys. For the record Freeform Melbourne is a good 10 hour drive from Sydney but you know thanks for sentiment. I've checked out the dude you mention Marko Vesse - those guys are pretty cool, how's that clip of one his students letting a 4 wheel drive slowly run him over? Insane pressures they're developing in the torso.

Thanks for the contact Cloud Recluse - I'll quiz Mark further on the details but while I'm here let me know if you guys practice much push hands or sparring?

Also got an email yesterday for those that may be interested with these Ziranmen guys www.ziranmen.com - Liu Jing Ru is very good so theres decent lineage there for the Bagua.

Thanks for the contact Cloud Recluse - I'll quiz Mark further on the details but while I'm here let me know if you guys practice much push hands or sparring?

We just doing a VERY basic beginners class.Some 8 Brocade style Chi Gongs,stretching & the start of the Yang form.I think its a long way yet to Push Hands,& I think the other students ,in this very small class ,are mainly doing it for "health".But Mark is always referring to potential combat application & strong form as well as relaxed form.

Tell you what,if your an expericed practitioner yourself,it would be cool to pick your brain sometime,if you were so inclined..But I must confess Im an absolute beginner in this stuff myself :( Up till now Ive only really been experienced in the Contemplative or 'Mystical" ( for want of a better word) side of Daoism.Im only just starting to explore the Movement Arts,especially as I start to age physically :lol:

I'm not so experienced at tai chi, my teacher was more of a Bagua man so the stuff he threw in of Tai Chi seemed to have those sorts of influences. He had me doing RouShou and push-hands right off the bat though because the study group was primarily martial. Someone else PMed me a link for www.peterwutaichi.com - looks interesting and is in Burwood which is just around the bend from me.

Hmm does anyone know if Erle Montaigue has any students down here?

Edited by hugo

Since we're on the East side too it may be worth checking out John Chow. He also does Escrima. A guy on Empty Flower recommended Andy Green up in Clifton Hill for Bagua. Work out more when we meet. Looking forward to crossing hands with a fellow Bagua player. Us other melbournite MAist should have a meet and exchange ideas etc.

Edited by bronzebow

... Us other melbournite MAist should have a meet and exchange ideas etc.

I think it would be fantastic to exchange ideas on the internal arts ( or any arts really) ,especially in an informal flexible context.My only hesitation is that I dont really have much to offer myself by way of actual experience:(

But I am a good listener :lol:

Hello,

You could try or ask http://www.jamessumarac.com/ although he's overseas teaching just now - back in the next week sometime I think. There is a Push Hands Club in Melbourne and some members practice this - James is a member. We meet Wed nights 8.45 pm - I can give details if you wish.