suninmyeyes

horseboy(documentary)

Saw this recently and thought to share this with you. Very interesting and touching.

Intro to 'The horse boy':

Film:

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/0C6Mw8n_LXE/

(is this link OK to post , I dont even know what kind of site this is. I googeled it and it seemed OK. Do let me know if otherwise.)

My third topic tonite and will stop here(or maybe not haha). Feeling a bit hyper and in 'internet mood 'today.

Bye for now.

Edited by suninmyeyes
  • Like 1

It was a good documentary. I am wondering though is rowan still autistic or is he fully healed some sites say he still is autistic just not as autistic as he was. So now he might be in the realm of high functioning autism.

I am kind of toren because for me autism is not something to be cured it is a sort of experience.

"Healed". With respects to what and who?

His parents were distraught, couldn't deal with him. He seemed to be ill-adapted to many things, but what where they? I didn't understand what his parents were trying to do with him before they took him to the shaman. The shaman said something about the boy's illness being a sign of becoming a shaman (if I remember the film correctly) and that he would be a good one. I don't know what was meant but I do think that by itself is something to consider when it comes to understanding who and what is "healed", although I don't doubt it was a hell of a difficult for everyone.

I can't find the links right now but there are lots of associations created by autists/aspergers'/deaf/blind/mute that insist that they are not 'less than' in any way with respect to other people (you should read what they call 'normal' people :lol: )

Then you have the blind guy who can 'see' by echo-location http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_echolocation.

I must have missed the part where the shaman said the boy could become a shaman. i kind of went into the film expecting a curbie attitude. But it was a good film.

"Healed". With respects to what and who?

His parents were distraught, couldn't deal with him. He seemed to be ill-adapted to many things, but what where they? I didn't understand what his parents were trying to do with him before they took him to the shaman. The shaman said something about the boy's illness being a sign of becoming a shaman (if I remember the film correctly) and that he would be a good one. I don't know what was meant but I do think that by itself is something to consider when it comes to understanding who and what is "healed", although I don't doubt it was a hell of a difficult for everyone.

True what you say about being 'healed'.

I think that the whole families perspective and well being, and understanding shifted due to the trip they undertook. And it integrated them as a unit, therefore as individuals all of them started to function better.

The shaman did say about sign of the boy becoming shaman.

What I find interesting that in many societies what we call 'illness'here is not considered illness in those societies. Could be that or maybe he saw something in future if his psychic abilities are working.

Thank you for posting the link, Sun, I watched it yesterday, pretty cool. I was green with envy though because the reindeer people live apparently in Altai, my first stomping ground on earth that haunts me all my life.

I was feasting on the landscape in documentary!

And thinking how I would love to visit that part of the world , including/especially Siberia(as I mentioned in one of our conversations once, but never made it this summer :( ).

Going away for the winter instead(not to Sibearia though :D ).

Do you go Siberia ever/often?

I was feasting on the landscape in documentary!

And thinking how I would love to visit that part of the world , including/especially Siberia(as I mentioned in one of our conversations once, but never made it this summer :( ).

Going away for the winter instead(not to Sibearia though :D ).

Do you go Siberia ever/often?

Good idea to avoid Siberia in winter. :lol:

I've never been as an adult, except in haunting dreams, and memories of early childhood. Someday...

The very first dream I remember -- I was about 3 -- is of a snow-horse. It was very shamanic. :)

True what you say about being 'healed'.

I think that the whole families perspective and well being, and understanding shifted due to the trip they undertook. And it integrated them as a unit, therefore as individuals all of them started to function better.

The shaman did say about sign of the boy becoming shaman.

What I find interesting that in many societies what we call 'illness'here is not considered illness in those societies. Could be that or maybe he saw something in future if his psychic abilities are working.

Yep, 'what we call illness here'. IMO (although luckily not IME because I keep pretty quiet about the whole 'spiritual experience' stuff because I fear if I described some of them to some people I'd get a 'she's barking' label sooner than you could say DSMV :-)) has a direct relationship to what society (we've been using that word a lot on here recently :-)) 'defines' as such for purposes that may or may not be helpful to the 'sick' person and those that care about them - and I mean really care, not just an appearance of 'we care because it looks better if we seem to' or 'we care because we feel this illness shows us in a less than wonderful light' - an inkling perhaps of an understanding as to part of the (causal?) relationship between health and relationships. To digress slightly, there has been some research done on the relationship between health and social position, relationship etc. It's 'out there' online and as usual if I find it and can find my post again and can post the links, will do.

Back on the Autism stuff, there's a guy in Northern Europe who started a work-placement agency to take advantage of the unique skills of autists (stuff like customs security checks that demand long hours of concentrated attention to detail). I think it's possible that other societies have carved a specific place for people who are different where they can contribute because to do otherwise would increase the burden for everyone.

Thanks for the headsup on the horseboy documentary. a very moving story.

the boy and the shamans aside, the most remarkable character in the movie I thought was the boys father. a great display of unconditional love for his son. really awesome to watch.

I believe the family has gone on now to start a center in TX that caters to autistics and animal healing.

btw. the movie also available on Netflix