Hi ,

I am researching tummo. Cant find any teachers that teach it , especially that have gained from practise themselves(situated in Europe or Asia prefably).

My reason is probably very shallow in some peoples eyes , but Ill be honest as I dont really care for coolnes factor.

The reason is becouse I am trying to figure out how to keep warm at low temperatures without fire or five sleeping bags. This would be particulary usefull to adopting living or staying in nature for longer periods when cold.

Any reasons not to undertake this practise?

Has anyone taken it up for longer? How long?What did you get out of it?

Oh, that thing

I know a meditation but it's probably a different one since this one can't be practiced with wind being present

oh well, good luck

In KAP we learn tumo or gTumo as it's refered to (IIRC) Since I don't live anywhere cold I can't really help there... except to say I do use it if I get cold riding the motorbike and yes it does warm me up.

Generally an "energizing" practice.

"The reason is becouse I am trying to figure out how to keep warm at low temperatures without fire or five sleeping bags." since I'm watching Dual Survival at the moment ever seen Cody Lundin getting about in shorts and bare feet in the snow. He said he taught his mitochondria to make more heat

1st episode 3:30 in.

Edited by Mal Stainkey

Mal, cool to hear your feedback about warming up on the motorbike! :)

How this guy does it , I dont know?I get cold just by looking at him.

It is interesting what he says .Body is incredible and has amazing ability to adopt .

He remind me of my nutty DJ neighbour from about 6 years ago who used to walk around without shoes for years in the middle of a large city. This guy did it becouse he didnt like people checking him out by the clothes he wears(in this case shoes which are the real statment in some subcultures).

Tummo.... Serious, demanding, grueling, dangerous, precarious, etc etc.... but oh so rewarding!

If you do decide to dive in, please, please, get personal guidance. Please....

There's no written material out there which can actually take one far enough so that the hazards and pitfalls can be sidestepped. With this in mind, i can (with slight reservations) recommend two reference books which i know will definitely set the stage for gaining a deeper insight and perhaps help to initiate a start to the practice, albeit not enough to empower and direct the reader to the level where only a qualified teacher can do.

The 2 books are:

The Bliss of Inner Fire by Lama Thubten Yeshe, and

The Six Yogas of Naropa by Glenn H. Mullin

(both available on amazon)

Helpful link when you decide to look into finding personal guidance:

http://www.healing.lv/en/232/tummo

Please approach with eyes wide open, Sun. Its not a practice to be taken lightly.

All the best, and may you proceed with the blessings of all your accumulated merit.

• Like 1

Hi CowTao :) ,

Have you done tummo yourself? If yes did you learn it from the place you reccomended the link for?

Yes I will try to approach this with the eyes wide open, not to worry. :D

I am fully aware that certain practises may not work without proper guidiance, and could be dangerous. I wouldnt want to waste my time on doing something I am not sure that I want to do and doing it half right.

As much as I dont like an oppresive guru disciple relationship , I do enjoy learning from different teachers, people, friends etc..and have no problem in assuming a role of a student (however, not easily convinced and ever questioning one).

Thanks for the books reccomendations. I think I have read 6 yogas of Naropa long time ago and am going to look them up again this week ,maybe even tonite ;) .

Hey there!

Check out this link.

http://kennethfolkdharma.wetpaint.com/thread/4377529/%E2%80%8BTummo?maxResults=20

Here you will find a distillation of the complete practice without the (unnecessary cultural baggage of the) Tibetan visualizations.

There is a discussion of the dangers and pitfalls, how to avoid them etc.

It is written up by a person, a Doctor I believe, who received the traditional transmissions and training from (if I recall), three different Lamas.

Tummo is really just Indian yogic pranayama breath retention with various locks etc. It is not easy at all, and not meant for generating heat in cold climates. It is a spiritual practice for enlightenment. If you wanna get warm there is way easier ways to doing that than holding your breath for 1.5 to 2 minutes!

Enjoy!

Adam. edited fr typo

Edited by Adam West
  • Like 1

Oh cool link Adam! ;)

I am aware that tummo is not a practise for generating heat in colder climate. I have just been honest about my intention of research for now, which are keeping warm primarily ,any spiritual benefits are welcome too.

I already hold breath and concentrate on navel in 'cold situations'and yes it does help ,however not to extent Id like it too.

So I am looking around a bit, prepared to expiriment if my research moves me enough..

Thanks for sharing :) .

I use it regularly as my Shamatha focus.

I agree that it is not for Heat, but for Enlightenment... but it does create heat, and heat is one of the ways it is tested... There is a reason it has been so popular amongst Hermits in the Himalayas, and that is because it it very cold up there...

Successful Tummo practice will have you warm and toasty, despite the weather. When I have engaged in the practice extensively, I have been able to sit warm and toasty, bare foot in shorts and a t-shirt in hail storms and rain when it has been very cold and windy for hours or more.

I like the books CowTao mentioned, but also like the chapter In 'How to meditate' by Kathleen McDonald who is a respected western Gelugpa Nun.

I originally learned the practice from an ex-Nyingma monk who had done a two year tummo retreat in Nepal.

• Like 2

Hi CowTao :) ,

Have you done tummo yourself? If yes did you learn it from the place you reccomended the link for?

Yes I will try to approach this with the eyes wide open, not to worry. :D

I am fully aware that certain practises may not work without proper guidiance, and could be dangerous. I wouldnt want to waste my time on doing something I am not sure that I want to do and doing it half right.

As much as I dont like an oppresive guru disciple relationship , I do enjoy learning from different teachers, people, friends etc..and have no problem in assuming a role of a student (however, not easily convinced and ever questioning one).

Thanks for the books reccomendations. I think I have read 6 yogas of Naropa long time ago and am going to look them up again this week ,maybe even tonite ;) .

Hi Sun,

That's the official website of Buddhist center in Latvia. I am thinking it could be a convenient location for you should you want to explore Tummo from an authentic source. But its up to you to feel the connection. If there's even small doubts, dont go further. Anyway, they might not even be willing to initiate anyone into tummo as an exclusive practice without getting some verification that such a person is ready i.e. have done the necessary prelim practices, or is a Dharma student. SO if you think you are ready, then have a chat with the people there, if not, look elsewhere... its not like they are the only ones who know the practices. :)

There are so many commentaries on the 6 Yogas but the one by Glenn Mullin is reputed to be the best, according to various feedbacks i have got.

Yes, tummo is part of my practice to get all warm and toasty, as Seth puts it very nicely :lol: :lol:

(Did not learn it from that Latvian center though). The issue i have around this practice is it increases my sex drive to extended levels, and this is sometimes good and sometimes not so... :P

Yeah, tummo is a very good practice even if one's goal is not enlightenment. There are many side benefits to be got, like very good physical and mental health, ease of ridding body of toxic substances, no weight fluctuations, ease of sleep, speedy healings of ailments in self and sometimes in others as well.

• Like 2

Hi ,

I am researching tummo. Cant find any teachers that teach it , especially that have gained from practise themselves(situated in Europe or Asia prefably).

My reason is probably very shallow in some peoples eyes , but Ill be honest as I dont really care for coolnes factor.

The reason is becouse I am trying to figure out how to keep warm at low temperatures without fire or five sleeping bags. This would be particulary usefull to adopting living or staying in nature for longer periods when cold.

Any reasons not to undertake this practise?

Has anyone taken it up for longer? How long?What did you get out of it?

Although I have practiced tummo off and on for years I don't use it often. Occassionally, I experiment with it. For example, I was doing sit ups and after initiating the practice it felt like I was shooting fire balls out of my abdomen. It is something then to circulate into the orbit for health and healing.

I was actually initiated into Tummo by an adept. He "lit" the fire in my belly and then it was easy to practice.

As regards to heating the body when you are cold. This practice was taught to me by an alchemical hypnotherapist, David Quigley, and this does work.

Visualize a hot, white sun. Think of it as blazing warm and toasty. Then breathe it in and swallow into your lower belly and let it shine and spread it's warmth throughout your body.

It is effective.

Blessings,

Susan

• Like 3

Thanks for replies ! :)

I am happy to read that the practise does keep you warm and toasty from you lot and to read feedback on the practise. In case anyone remebers anything else they want to share , I am all ears..

I will try that technique Susan.

Edited by suninmyeyes

Went on Wim Hof s website

http://www.innerfire.nl/en-home

and emailed him about the program he is teaching. He said there will be one in spring in Europe. At that time I will still be away or just come back to Europe , so it is not going to happen. I am courious how his programs are formed and what exactly is he teaching? Anyone has expirience?

Wim definetly looks toasty, check his running on the snow vids out.

Being able to keep warm without heating is my long term project as I think it must be so freeing and would be great to travel light when going to nature , not having so many needs and worries for the body to stay healthy. Also to go whenever I want and forget about coldness obstacles.

That Kenneth Folk Dharma thread has some really great info!

sun,

You may be interested to know that Shou-Yu Liang's book Qigong Empowerment has description of a tummo practice in the Buddhist Qigong section, presented as a qigong method rather than as completion stage Vajrayana practice.

Edited by Creation

Went on Wim Hof s website

http://www.innerfire.nl/en-home

and emailed him about the program he is teaching. He said there will be one in spring in Europe. At that time I will still be away or just come back to Europe , so it is not going to happen. I am courious how his programs are formed and what exactly is he teaching? Anyone has expirience?

Wim definetly looks toasty, check his running on the snow vids out.

Being able to keep warm without heating is my long term project as I think it must be so freeing and would be great to travel light when going to nature , not having so many needs and worries for the body to stay healthy. Also to go whenever I want and forget about coldness obstacles.

It looks like Wim Hof is in Santa Monica CA this month teaching.

It looks like Wim Hof is in Santa Monica CA this month teaching.

Dont forget to let us know if you are attending and write a report! :):P

• Like 1

That Kenneth Folk Dharma thread has some really great info!

sun,

You may be interested to know that Shou-Yu Liang's book Qigong Empowerment has description of a tummo practice in the Buddhist Qigong section, presented as a qigong method rather than as completion stage Vajrayana practice.

That thread is good.

Thanks for the book info. Ill go check it out now.

Hey guys!

Here is Shou-Yu Liang's book Qigong Empowerment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mod Team

This link has been removed as it violates forum policy regarding copyright protection

Mod Team Out

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Enjoy all! :-)

Adam.

Hey guys!

Here is Shou-Yu Liang's book Qigong Empowerment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mod Team

Link removed

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Enjoy all! :-)

Adam.

Hmm I don't think it is a good thing to offer a download link of a copyrighted book. The book is good enough to be ordered so that authors receive their royalties (I am not even talking about karmic debt :))

• Like 1

I have here a gossip for you SIMEyes a place to learn Tummo,

which I heard years ago, it is about LamaFofu

http://www.lamafofu.de/programm.html

So you can come to Germany maybe next year to learn Tummo

I heard from different sources that she is a strict person

with archievment.

Q

Hey Friend! Thanks for gossip. I liked her already as soon as I read about her name :Lama Fofu. Fantastic name.

Nice link ,thanks a lot , I will do research(spy) on her .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mod Team

A friendly reminder - please do not post any copyrighted material or links to unapproved sources for such material. It is important for us to abide by all copyright laws and provisions.

Thanks

Mod Team Out

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of the scientists who has conducted the most research on Tummo, is Dr. Herbert Benson. He says that he has never met a westerner who claimed to be able to do Tummo, who wasn't a fraud.

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2002/04.18/09-tummo.html

Some Westerners practice g Tum-mo, but it often takes years to reach states like those achieved by Buddhist monks. In trying to find groups he could study, Benson met Westerners who claimed to have mastered such advanced techniques, but who were, in his words, "fraudulent."

Benson decided that he needed to locate a religious setting, where advanced mediation is traditionally practiced. His opportunity came in 1979 when the Dalai Lama, spiritual leader of Tibet, visited Harvard University. "His Holiness agreed to help me," recalls Benson. That visit was the beginning of a long friendship and several expeditions to northern India where many Tibetan monks live in exile.

During visits to remote monasteries in the 1980s, Benson and his team studied monks living in the Himalayan Mountains who could, by g Tum-mo meditation, raise the temperatures of their fingers and toes by as much as 17 degrees. It has yet to be determined how the monks are able to generate such heat.

The researchers also made measurements on practitioners of other forms of advanced meditation in Sikkim, India. They were astonished to find that these monks could lower their metabolism by 64 percent. "It was an astounding, breathtaking [no pun intended] result," Benson exclaims.

To put that decrease in perspective, metabolism, or oxygen consumption, drops only 10-15 percent in sleep and about 17 percent during simple meditation. Benson believes that such a capability could be useful for space travel. Travelers might use meditation to ease stress and oxygen consumption on long flights to other planets.

In 1985, the meditation team made a video of monks drying cold, wet sheets with body heat. They also documented monks spending a winter night on a rocky ledge 15,000 feet high in the Himalayas. The sleep-out took place in February on the night of the winter full moon when temperatures reached zero degrees F. Wearing only woolen or cotton shawls, the monks promptly fell asleep on the rocky ledge, They did not huddle together and the video shows no evidence of shivering. They slept until dawn then walked back to their monastery.

• Like 1