Vanir Thunder Dojo Tan

Call for help!

Well, I am becoming desperate, with no income, no job, and no means of acquiring/"buying" an education (the mere thought disgusts me! that i must PAY to learn necessities of life!) And worse still, no masters from which to learn!

I firmly beleive a true person would share life-preserving and life-forging wisdom without expectation of payment by any means but the pupil's time and effort!

But such cannot be found in america... so far... by me...

Perhaps it is far too much to ask of anyone, to teach for free... in this world where one without a dollar to their name has nothing otherwise.

But i must persist, I need to be taught formally by someone who truly knows and understands Chi/Qi. I cannot go far alone, or "by the books", as it were... Though i can read till i pass out, without proper instruction, i cannot cultivate effectively.

Until a teacher crosses my path, i can only explore this unknown world of reality by myself. I will practice what little i DO know, while attempting to pursue what i do not.

This is a long road to walk alone. Please heed my cry for help.

Thank you.

Well, I am becoming desperate, with no income, no job, and no means of acquiring/"buying" an education (the mere thought disgusts me! that i must PAY to learn necessities of life!) And worse still, no masters from which to learn!

You won't get a master, but consider putting in a call for a mentor in the '30 Day 30 minute Mentor' thread.

They say the teacher will appear when the student is Ready, note thats NOT when they Want the teacher. So, to help get ready for your future master you could put in a post that says your looking for a mentor to help your .. sitting or standing .. or MCO.. practice in the 30 Day 30 Minute Thread in the General Discussion site (now on page 2).

We're still experimenting with it, and its almost October. I'd love to see some hook ups. I'm very happy working with TaoMeow next month.

I suspect being direct in what you want to study, as well as keeping it simple, ie sitting or standing practice may help get a connection. You could also Private Message people here you respect and ask them. Keeping in mind people are busy and the professional teachers here 'do it for pay.'

Again, no master, but if you hook up with the right person, in 30 days you might be far advanced from where you are now. Not necessarily because of them, but because they inspire you and by process of reporting and feedback, you get a little more hard core.

• Like 1

You won't get a master, but consider putting in a call for a mentor in the '30 Day 30 minute Mentor' thread.

They say the teacher will appear when the student is Ready, note thats NOT when they Want the teacher. So, to help get ready for your future master you could put in a post that says your looking for a mentor to help your .. sitting or standing .. or MCO.. practice in the 30 Day 30 Minute Thread in the General Discussion site (now on page 2).

We're still experimenting with it, and its almost October. I'd love to see some hook ups. I'm very happy working with TaoMeow next month.

I suspect being direct in what you want to study, as well as keeping it simple, ie sitting or standing practice may help get a connection. You could also Private Message people here you respect and ask them. Keeping in mind people are busy and the professional teachers here 'do it for pay.'

Again, no master, but if you hook up with the right person, in 30 days you might be far advanced from where you are now. Not necessarily because of them, but because they inspire you and by process of reporting and feedback, you get a little more hard core.

yeah hot nirvana judo trend, i will show you kuji-in if you want to learn it. I have healed *incredibly* by cultivating that system. So until you find your teacher, you can work on your chakras and your siddhis.

You don't have to mentor me anything if you don't want to either. Or maybe since i have all this inner light and shen stuff, you could balance it by being some feedback in my qigong learning.

Whatever's clever, as they say. Thats about all i can offer to help.

• Like 1

I firmly beleive a true person would share life-preserving and life-forging wisdom without expectation of payment by any means but the pupil's time and effort!

But such cannot be found in america... so far... by me...

Perhaps it is far too much to ask of anyone, to teach for free... in this world where one without a dollar to their name has nothing otherwise.

But i must persist, I need to be taught formally by someone who truly knows and understands Chi/Qi. I cannot go far alone, or "by the books", as it were... Though i can read till i pass out, without proper instruction, i cannot cultivate effectively.

Until a teacher crosses my path, i can only explore this unknown world of reality by myself. I will practice what little i DO know, while attempting to pursue what i do not.

This is a long road to walk alone. Please heed my cry for help.

Thank you.

Have you attempted to pierce the chakra's yet? I believe many people attempt the microcosmic orbit without the energy required from the spinal or "Governing Channel".

I have a compilation of the step of the process I have assumed to identify as comming before attempting to utilize any chi.

Here is a link to it:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/14135177#14135177

Honestly I don't think it matters if someone is hovering over you or not, you still have to be the one to do it.

Hi Judo,

You said you want to learn about Qi Cultivation, may I ask why?

What do you think you will get through understanding it?

What is it that you want to achieve?

What is it about Life that you want to know so much about?

FIRST, allow me to apologize for the more-or-less brash first post, i got caught up in a Qi Gong book i was reading at the library (here) and felt at a strong loss that i have been unable to meet people who are knowledgable in the areas of Chi cultivation, from which to learn with proper guidance and direction.

Second, i am highly humbled at the responses, i wasn't expecting this level of positive input/output, Thank you all.

So more to the point, and as i have just relayed via PM to another member, I am looking to be able to, first help myself so that, second, I can help others. I desire to develop mastery that I can one day pass down to more people, to keep spreading the physical and mental wellness that comes about from Qi Gong, Taijiquan, martial arts, and all forms of physical exercise, practice, and education, from as little as first aid, to as much as "Empty Force".

My ultimate goal in life is to learn as much-to-all about the body as i can until the day I (MIGHT laugh.gif) die... And to teach as much of it to as many people as I can in that time.

The world can become a better place only through practice and sharing. Many people I have met whom have claimed knowledge, demand monetary compensation which I cannot, currently, provide, and more often than not strike me as less interested in the practice than the profit they can gain from selling it.

Though I do not seek to undermine their business, I believe it might occur inherently from sharing. I am not terribly worried about this, since other venues such as physical therapy are otherwise "recession proof" as it were.

All in all, Thank you all very much, and I Will probably PM some of you and check out everything you've given me here.

Thank you.

{edit:}

P.S.

Would it be advisable to "practice" without knowledge or experience...? in other words, for example, "experiment" with potential cultivation practice?

For further example, acting on instinct/impulse/intuition and practicing that?{/edit:}

Edited by Hot Nirvana Judo Trend

FIRST, allow me to apologize for the more-or-less brash first post, i got caught up in a Qi Gong book i was reading at the library (here) and felt at a strong loss that i have been unable to meet people who are knowledgable in the areas of Chi cultivation, from which to learn with proper guidance and direction.

Second, i am highly humbled at the responses, i wasn't expecting this level of positive input/output, Thank you all.

So more to the point, and as i have just relayed via PM to another member, I am looking to be able to, first help myself so that, second, I can help others. I desire to develop mastery that I can one day pass down to more people, to keep spreading the physical and mental wellness that comes about from Qi Gong, Taijiquan, martial arts, and all forms of physical exercise, practice, and education, from as little as first aid, to as much as "Empty Force".

My ultimate goal in life is to learn as much-to-all about the body as i can until the day I (MIGHT laugh.gif) die... And to teach as much of it to as many people as I can in that time.

The world can become a better place only through practice and sharing. Many people I have met whom have claimed knowledge, demand monetary compensation which I cannot, currently, provide, and more often than not strike me as less interested in the practice than the profit they can gain from selling it.

Though I do not seek to undermine their business, I believe it might occur inherently from sharing. I am not terribly worried about this, since other venues such as physical therapy are otherwise "recession proof" as it were.

All in all, Thank you all very much, and I Will probably PM some of you and check out everything you've given me here.

Thank you.

{edit:}

P.S.

Would it be advisable to "practice" without knowledge or experience...? in other words, for example, "experiment" with potential cultivation practice?

For further example, acting on instinct/impulse/intuition and practicing that?{/edit:}

It doesn't begin within the mind or thoughts. That energy is generally the last one activated, then intuition might be more than a guess. It could even be telepathy percieved as intuition. Or even the voice of the sort of collective-conscious. Ultimately how it is described would be up to you.

If you find a teacher, he may tell you which one to go by.

My personal experience was to dive in. While maintaining the mentality of a seeker. Leaving the unknown just that, and not assumed. There are directions, but directions are not necessarily what they are.

• Like 2

Before practicing soft style martial arts, students would be told to do pile standing for months

You could do that without a master but you need to have the right posture

If you have access to a computer, then you have already have a lot. Do you have access to your own computer, or are you just using the library computers?

Anyway, if I had to pick one book that REALLY helps and gets you start off on the right path is "Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body" by B.K. Frantzis. I find it to be highly comprehensive, it starts out at the very beginning, assumes you know nothing, and it builds you up.

It's low impact and low energy- Frantzis only teaches the basic stuff in the public books.

Don't confuse basic with worthless (and on that note, there is more to "worth" than just money- just because something is "free" from money doesn't mean you don't have to pay in other ways...). There are enough hints in that text that you can get to a very capable place on your own with just that practice.

• Like 1

laugh.gifGlad to hear;

May I make a small suggestion,

Maybe if you understands what we could take on after we die; then your cultivation would be easier.

Well that actually depends on what you believe as well.happy.gif

All the best, Judo!

Hope you get what you seek.

If you have access to a computer, then you have already have a lot. Do you have access to your own computer, or are you just using the library computers?

Anyway, if I had to pick one book that REALLY helps and gets you start off on the right path is "Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body" by B.K. Frantzis. I find it to be highly comprehensive, it starts out at the very beginning, assumes you know nothing, and it builds you up.

It's low impact and low energy- Frantzis only teaches the basic stuff in the public books.

Don't confuse basic with worthless (and on that note, there is more to "worth" than just money- just because something is "free" from money doesn't mean you don't have to pay in other ways...). There are enough hints in that text that you can get to a very capable place on your own with just that practice.

Agreed, remember qigong/meditation are SKILLS i.e someone who practices a so called "basic" technique very skillfully will get much much more benefit than someone who goes for a so called advanced technique.

Important skills involved in energy work and meditation - Relaxation, no thoughts, good posture, making a positive state of mind.

These points are all done with no force.

I can elaborate if you wish.

There's no reason why someone can't work on these 4 points, it can bring a lot of benefits and is of course very safe.

Edited by Ish

You have gotten some very generous offers. I am also humbled by the positive responses you have recieved. I would consider taking those free offers if they prove to be good sources...

However, your post has a couple of assumptions that I want to explore with you.

The first is that you need to learn advanced techniques right away!

While I understand the desire to learn something you enjoy as fast possible, part of the process of learning these disciplines is patience and persistence. Without them, you will not learn very well. Demanding that the Universe give you the best RIGHT NOW and according to your demands (i.e. a master must come to you now and teach you for free) this attitude is antithetical to the idea of patience and persistence which says, "I am going to commit to understand and learn what I have until I can find a teacher." This is the kind of attitude that a teacher will look for. I can tell you from experience that there is nothing more disappointing then to devote huge amounts of time and energy into a student only to see them not put the time and effort into learning what you teach them. So, if you come across as someone who feels as though they deserve to be taught and are impatient, a true master will not want to teach you the higher level stuff... If you really want to attract a true master, the first thing to do is endeavor to become a true student. A true student is hungry but is not desperate, impatient or demanding.

The second assumption you clearly state when you say:

This is your belief. But what is it based on? Your desire? You are poor and can't afford to pay a master? Completely understandable, I think most of us have been in your shoes. For a poor young person who is trying to go to school and find a job, it is a huge sacrifice to then also pay someone to teach you an energetic skill. Wouldn;t it be nice if some wealthy spiritual master could come along who has nothing better to do than to spend his or her free time to focus on you and teach you the high level techniques that they themselves have spent a lifetime sweating over and sacrificing to master? This is the parent's job not the teacher's. So, often times when I hear this from students, I wonder if they are seeking a parent or a teacher. There is a difference.

The assumption here is that your time is valuable to the teacher. Let's think about this. Your time is clearly valuable to you. very understandable. But is your time valuable to the teacher? The teacher's time is valuable to him/her. The teacher's time is definitely valuable to you because you are the one learning from the teacher. You have sought the teacher out to ask for them to sacrifice their time for you. But you assume that the teacher is also seeking you out and is somehow benefitted by your sacrifice of time. So, let's be real.. your time is no payment at all. Your time is necessary for you to learn, it is not something extra that you have sacrificed. Your time is the very minimum necessary. The teacher has already put his or her time into their learning. They don't need to give it to you. So, for them their time IS a sacrifice. Yours is not...

The most important thing a teacher wants is to preserve the tradition for future generations. When people first want to teach, they are usually willing to teach for free and this is good because this teaches them about their tradition on a deeper level. So, if the student doesn't follow through, then at least they have sharpened their teaching skills and this is a good transaction for them. But once they have sharpened their teaching skills, the next thing a teacher looks for is a worthy student. And they will test you to see if you will stand up to the rigors of learning. The easiest way to do this in modern times is to charge money. In times, past, you had to perform manual labor etc... Today, it's money. If you are broke, and you go the extra mile to find money to pay a teacher, then you show that you have the tenacity to learn... I taught for free for years when I started out as a teacher until after I got better at teaching and having experienced alot of students who did not appreciate the free teaching and wasted ALOT of my time, I realized that it was disrespectful to the tradition to give away my time to those who were not learning and appreciating what I was teaching them. That is when I started charging money. I found out very quickly that if someone was willing to pay money to learn that they were more likely to practice what I taught them. If they weren;t willing to pay, then I knew that they would probably not survive when the training got harder... So, If you act like a victim and complain about not having money and needing to pay for school, then you come across as one who won't follow through when the teaching is difficult.

While the teacher may also get some benefit from sharing their experience, from a teacher's perspective, I can tell that there is nothing, and I mean nothing more offensive than a self-righteous student who believes that they are doing the teacher a favor by allowing them to teach him/her. That somehow just by learning that in itself is payment... Very narcissistic... I can guarantee you that a real teacher will demand that you sacrifice more than just your time and presence to learn. Even if they are wealthy and don't need your money, a good teacher will demand that you sacrifice something very valuable to teach you. perhaps that you devote time to charity or something. But, I have learned that if the sacrifice a student makes doesn't hurt at least a little, then they will not appreciate the training and will drop it the moment it becomes difficult. If however, they are sacrificing something and it hurts to do so, then they will make damn sure that they learn what you teach because they don't want to waste their money. If the student is unwilling or feel they are too good to sacrifice something of value to learn, then you know that when the training gets difficult, they will drop the teaching and will have wasted your time and devalued the tradition. And as a teacher, you do not want to devalue the teaching that your teachers gave to you...

But I can also say that the greatest gift a teacher can receive is the knowledge that someone has preserved the tradition they teach. There are people I have charged alot of money for private lessons who have discarded the teachings and there are others who I have not charged very much who have honored and kept the teachings I have shared. I appreciate those who stick with it more than those who pay. But, I still need to eat. A true student understands this and is willing to enchange energy in an appropriate manner.

Teachers do need to eat. This is reality. To think otherwise is childish. It may work great in the movies. But real life masters still need to eat and pay mortgages just like everybody else. If you understand that you have to pay the grocer for food, it is not a stretch to understand that your qigong teacher needs to eat.

So, if you cannot pay, you may want to seek out new teachers who are eager to teach for free. If you feel you need a master right now... Expect that he/she will demand sacrifice from you, because their primary goal is to find a worthy student who will not waste their time.

Edited by fiveelementtao
  • Like 8

fiveelementtao, I apologize for the rather presumptuous wording that i had used.

Rather, I agree with you completely, and mean not to suggest that everyone who knows something about energy cultivation should jsut share it like it's no hassle. What i meant to suggest, however, is that people who have truly reached a mastery of these such arts would be in a state of being to which it is no sacrifice to share their time and wisdom.

That is one of my goals actually, to reach a state of mastery and become, pardon the pun, a Tao Bum. I aspire to help those who cant (afford to) help themselves. In these desperate times, I believe such generousity is crucial to rising out of economic depression and crippling monetary dependency. To help the people (not the corporations and businesses). To bring us all to a better state of existence that can be fruitful and prosperous without unnecessary obstruction.

... To teach, by example, how to live for the world-as-self and not only for the self-as-world, but both in balance.

Cultivation techniques have gone on and progressed and advanced for over 2000 years... Isnt it about time they became as mainstream and common place in society as the chi they aim on cultivating, as akin to the TV's, videogames, drugs, and dollar bills to "normal" society?

I hope that clarifies the intentions behind my words; a pupil's time and effort are significantly stronger indicators to their worthiness as a student than the number of hundreds of dollars they can contribute to the teacher and his/her practice.

I took no offense. It was a great opportunity to share an important concept. What I share is just my opinion based on my experience. Take it for what that is worth to you...

You share some very good values. People do share for free. Now more than ever before in history. I have many free videos all over the internet. Books are easily available. So, there are more ways now than ever before to freely share these teachings.

I aspire to help those who cant (afford to) help themselves.

How do you know they can't help themselves? I understand where you are coming from, but to project onto others that they are not able to help themselves is counterproductive to the whole idea of self improvement. The Universe wants to help each of us reach our spiritual potential and will provide us with whatever we need. When we percieve that we are lacking in any resources, it is because the Universe is pushing us to dig deeper and as we do, She provides what we need. So, while I have shared this sentiment myself in the past, I see now that to project that kind of weakness on others is destructive to their spirits...

is that people who have truly reached a mastery of these such arts would be in a state of being to which it is no sacrifice to share their time and wisdom.

I completely understand your sentiment. But, what do you base this perception on? Books? Your own desires? Your experience of masters? But assuming you achieve what you want for yourself and are able to help "the less fortunate" with free teaching, how is it that you will be so wealthy that you have all this free time to just give away teachings to other people?

Will your qigong skills have made it so you don't need money? Will you have figured out how to use your qigong skills to become rich. Or will you go beyond the need for food and shelter?

If you don't even know how you will be in such a place that you will not need anything, how do you know that this state exists for the real flesh and blood teachers who will become your teachers?

IME, There are masters who are in that state you describe but they are not in human form. They are the ascended masters. They are there with you right now and they are probably responsible for your desire to learn this stuff. But, they are even more picky when it comes to testing a student's resolve. They are the ones who will guide you to a teacher if you are meant to have one. If you truly want to find one, then be grateful for the resources you have now and do your damnedest to learn the best you can and the ascended masters will take note of it and guide you to your teacher.

30 years ago, I felt just like you do. But in those days, there was no internet, few books on the subject and I remember feeling so frustrated that a master like Don Juan Matus wasn't teaching me. I remember thinking that if I got that kind of a teacher, I would become an immortal and then freely give to others what I wanted. But as I look back, my desire to help others was really my selfish projection of what I wanted others to do for me. As I have gotten older I have come to learn that the traditional ways of learning and teaching are there for a reason. Because that is what works. And IME, that is what the ascended masters want to preserve. What you describe sounds like charity to me. IME, Students do not grow in an atmosphere of charity. They prosper in an atmosphere of dynamic growth...

But, the question is: Will you be willing to do what you need to or go where you need to go. Your perceptions that there are "unfortunates" in the world and the idea that people need someone to give them what they need will, IME, foster a victim mentality that will block you from hearing the Ascended masters when they try to encourage you to step out, have faith and take risks....

IME, there are no victims and any perceived victimization we experience is our own doing. Nobody needs you to become a super hero teacher. They need you to be a human teacher... A true teacher allows their students to rise to the occasion. Your future students will not benefit from your charity. They will benefit from your belief that they can rise to meet your expectations...

I; a pupil's time and effort are significantly stronger indicators to their worthiness as a student than the number of hundreds of dollars they can contribute to the teacher and his/her practice.

As I already stated your time and your effort are already a given. A lifeless book will require your time and effort. How does your time and effort compensate a live flesh and blood person for their time and effort? What if you teacher needs money to eat and pay rent? Do you think that your time will be more valuable to him/her than your money?

I understand that your opinion is important to you. But if you want a teacher's time and experience, you will need to indicate your worthiness in ways that they, not you, feel are important...

That is only my limited opinion based on my limited understanding...

Good luck in your search...

Edited by fiveelementtao
  • Like 6

What i meant to suggest, however, is that people who have truly reached a mastery of these such arts would be in a state of being to which it is no sacrifice to share their time and wisdom.

My opinions...

Real masters have all the time in the world for people who are interested. There is no sacrifice, because this is their passion and life. It's actually a privilege for them to find someone who shares their passion. Their purpose is not just to pass on a lineage, but primarily to help others and bring benefit to the world.

They don't require money, because part of being a real master involves having a real job (or other respectable source of income) and not relying on spiritual seekers to survive.

Having a real job takes time...but there are MANY hours in a day. Lets say a teacher works 8 hours every day...they sleep 8 hours maybe...that leaves 8 more for fitting in a teaching time which could only take 2 hours. Piece of cake!

This is their passion and purpose, so they make time, and it isn't a problem!

If they are famous enough, and travel, of course they should charge money because they NEED it to keep up at that pace. But at that point, what will the quality of their teaching be?

All in all...stick to your gut instincts on this. You think it's natural for a master to be easily found or show up, teach you something amazing, whereby you become amazing, for free. A precious gift and a blessing. I agree with you...this is how it's supposed to be.

Students should demand the best from their teachers, and should never accept weak rationalizations for why they're being charged a lot of money in this bad economy to learn subpar energy work, meditations or principles. :lol: Spiritual teachers should have their shit together and be as close to impeccable as possible...while remaining human.

If you haven't found this, then you haven't found someone who should be called a "master". Just my pov.

Money is how our modern world works. It is the system that we human beings have agreed upon to use on Earth to exchange our goods and services.

I am about to pay almost half of my pay for 1 month to learn from authentic internal martial arts master here in Beijing.

I consider this a worthwhile investment. As well as a way to show the teacher(s) I am a serious student.

Best,

Cameron

• Like 2

in my experience, nothing is actually "free". And in my opinion, something should be offered for teachings.

But in the case of my offering to mentor you kuji-in HNJT, money needn't be exchanged. All i would ask is that you do the same for someone else who needs it one day.

I would do it just to burn some karma for all the videos and ebooks i have torrented! *gasp* :D :D :D

haha but seriously, i would do it cause its a really healing system and also cause i've been there and i hear your cry for help

How do you know they can't help themselves? I understand where you are coming from, but to project onto others that they are not able to help themselves is counterproductive to the whole idea of self improvement.

"Advertising"; I dont go to them, they come to me. The key term here, however, was "cant afford to". not that they cant help themselves, because that is essentially what i would teach.

As I already stated your time and your effort are already a given. A lifeless book will require your time and effort. How does your time and effort compensate a live flesh and blood person for their time and effort? What if you teacher needs money to eat and pay rent?

In my opinion of a master being able to (not necessarily willing to), i base this off the nature of mastery, not the product thereof.

In the product, there is nothing but negotiation/exchange to be had, but the nature is something which i aspire to share freely, and, not necessarily expect, but hope to see from others. As well as encourage to bring about more frequently and commonly.

Regardless of my opinion, I dont expect to get it for free, and will be doing all that I can within my means to acquire my goals, however, my opinion will still drive my intention.

... But, they are even more picky when it comes to testing a student's resolve.

:ninja: I KNOW ... from experiencedry.gif Be that as it may, I still respect them more than much of, if not all other areas of life, generally speaking. wub.gif

"Advertising"; I dont go to them, they come to me. The key term here, however, was "cant afford to". not that they cant help themselves, because that is essentially what i would teach.

In my opinion of a master being able to (not necessarily willing to), i base this off the nature of mastery, not the product thereof.

In the product, there is nothing but negotiation/exchange to be had, but the nature is something which i aspire to share freely, and, not necessarily expect, but hope to see from others. As well as encourage to bring about more frequently and commonly.

Regardless of my opinion, I dont expect to get it for free, and will be doing all that I can within my means to acquire my goals, however, my opinion will still drive my intention.

HNJT...

I am with you. I like your approaching attitude and spiritual thinking. This is the way to go, my friend....:)

If someone is offering you free lesson, then he must be special. Indeed, you just need to have faith in the one to learn the stuff. MMHO is to stay with one person in learning the skills and filter out other unwanted fallacies.

Edited by ChiDragon

Time and resources are always an unavoidable issues with these things. If your corporate job forces you to work 10-12 hrs a day, 60-70 hrs a week, you will have far less time not only to teach, but also for your own practice. More personal practice = generally better transmissions and skill.

Edited by Enishi

HNJT, i have a BUNCH of practice- related books to give to people. Most 2nd hand bookstores don't want them and i feel they ought to move from my shelf to a less dusty environment;-)

The other reason i suggest books is that you can make your own mind up about things from lots of different sources whereas sticking with one teacher may (depending) involve taking on more than a practice, it may involve taking on a belief-system that may or may not be helpful to you in the longer term. In addition, that belief-system may or may not be compatible with you, your life, your goals. I feel very strongly that if a teacher is to enlighten then they should teach what they know, be there in times of need (because they know what happens with what they're teaching) and be prepared for the student to go their own way when the latter decides. Hell, welcome it:-) Not keep people as indentured "students" beyond what's needed by them (and not by the teacher). Read about family and clan martial lineages for other reasons to keep people around and indebted to you as teacher:-)

The downside about books is that you can misunderstand the techniques, do them wrong and hurt yourself and the person who wrote it isn't around to help correct them like they would be in meatspace.

Aren't there free mindfulness and silent meditation spaces near you?

Lest this post be misunderstood by some, I have great respect for my teachers, all of them:-)

Edited to add: you can really hurt yourself. Not just a sort of a falling over 'ouch, get back up' hurt yourself.

Edited by -K-