konchog uma

Yi Jin Jing (muscle/tendon changing classic)

so i am in a really happy mood and just wanted to share something

i am learning yi jin jing from books and vids. I am reading yang jwing-ming's "qigong, the secret of youth" about tendon/muscle change and brain/bone marrow washing (xi sui jing). I am watching shifu yan lei's videos and some other vids on youtube, and i am getting the picture that there are different sets that go by the name yi jin jing.

so, is there a definitive set that other sets are based on? or are there just multiple interpretations of the writings attributed to da mo?

i woke up at 5 this morning and watched yan lei demonstrate the first section of his set. then i went in the living room and did it. I got so charged, i forwent coffee for tea, did the dishes, and did pushups/crunches with the extra energy! And thats just the first section...

so, is there any feedback from bums on this one? I do not necessarily want to start building up a lot of internal power just watching vids and reading books. Although i study under a student of dr yang's, we do not study yi jin jing in class. This practice seems like it carries some serious sizzle. Although my teacher can (and does) guide my energetic progress in a general way, i am wondering is there anything i need to know about this, and doing it right or wrong, that knowledgable bums can explain here?

so, is there a definitive set that other sets are based on? or are there just multiple interpretations of the writings attributed to da mo?

i have learned that there is no definite set, but i like yan lei cause he is 34th gen shaolin. I like some parts of other sets too so i have added some minor movement changes into the set i am learning from these vids, which is awesome.

so, is there any feedback from bums on this one? I do not necessarily want to start building up a lot of internal power just watching vids and reading books. Although i study under a student of dr yang's, we do not study yi jin jing in class. This practice seems like it carries some serious sizzle. Although my teacher can (and does) guide my energetic progress in a general way, i am wondering is there anything i need to know about this, and doing it right or wrong, that knowledgable bums can explain here?

i guess i haven't been around long enough here for you bums to care whether i blow my spleen out or not :D

i think i will pay for a private session with my qigong teacher and learn the embryonic breathing and get some pointers on yi jin jing.

dr yang advises a year of practicing yi jin jing (muscle tendon change) before beginning xi sui jing (marrow washing). Do any of you bums have anything to say about That? :D

i have learned that there is no definite set, but i like yan lei cause he is 34th gen shaolin. I like some parts of other sets too so i have added some minor movement changes into the set i am learning from these vids, which is awesome.

i guess i haven't been around long enough here for you bums to care whether i blow my spleen out or not :D

i think i will pay for a private session with my qigong teacher and learn the embryonic breathing and get some pointers on yi jin jing.

dr yang advises a year of practicing yi jin jing (muscle tendon change) before beginning xi sui jing (marrow washing). Do any of you bums have anything to say about That? :D

Most responses about YJJ at TTB seem to say that it is just a stretching exercise that can be done along with any other qi gong. It's movements are very similar to many qi gong movements and when done with the proper breathing I think has definite energetic flows. I saw a video once which explained all the uses of each movement for stretching and cleansing different organs, but I'm not sure where it is.

Your teacher said it could damage your spleen? Please share...

Hi anamatva,

I am surprised that you found some videos of Shifu Yan lei on tube showing the yi yin ying...because he doesn't really teach this set on his vids, he teaches a mix of sets.

Can you give us the links to the you tube vids that gave you your morning extra energy? I am curious. :)

• Like 1

Most responses about YJJ at TTB seem to say that it is just a stretching exercise that can be done along with any other qi gong. It's movements are very similar to many qi gong movements and when done with the proper breathing I think has definite energetic flows. I saw a video once which explained all the uses of each movement for stretching and cleansing different organs, but I'm not sure where it is.

Your teacher said it could damage your spleen? Please share...

oh no my teacher didn't say that. I just said earlier that i didn't want to build internal power from videos. So that was a joke about my spleen :)

YJJ is stretchy yes but it builds qi no doubt about it. I haven't learned the organs of the postures, but I have only learned the 2nd part of the 3 part set... so i havent been studying that long.

I am focused mainly on just extending to full extension while keeping qi flow, cause if you overextend, flow is inhibited, and if you just kinda extend, you miss the benefits. And also, breathing with my huiyin, dantien, and diaphram which seems to be the difference between energetic flow or not. So really just movement and breath, not yet to the deeper theories and applications of the set yet.

Hi anamatva,

I am surprised that you found some videos of Shifu Yan lei on tube showing the yi yin ying...because he doesn't really teach this set on his vids, he teaches a mix of sets.

Can you give us the links to the you tube vids that gave you your morning extra energy? I am curious. :)

i couldn't find anything on youtube beyond trailers for him either. i have a copy of his "shaolin warrior - qigong" dvd series which covers 8 pieces brocade, yi jin jing, and xi sui jing.

what i meant to say was that i was working with those dvds and some other stuff from youtube

Ok I understand, so which one of the dvd did you work with ? the n°2 ( Xi sui jing) or the n°3 (Ee Jin Xi Sui Gong)?

Sorry to insist :) ( no fight, just to avoid confusion among readers) none of the 3 DVD are about the Yin Jin Jing. The n° 3 is : Ee Jin Xi Sui Gong (Muscle/Tendon Bone Marrow Cleansing) which is a kind of mix.

Edited by bubbles

It's a great Chi Kung set. Very good for health and longevity. It fits well when practiced with the 8 Peices of Brocade. Definitely not "just stretching", in my estimation that is a superficial and shallow description. I would call the stretching aspects, when done well, internal stretching, or "power" stretching.

There are many variations and versions, some are better than others.

Edited by Immortal4life
  • Like 1

Thing is,if it ever existed, the original version is lost. All yi jin jing sets are recompositions from ancient documents. Shaolin monastery has been destroyed, monks almost killed and skills and knowledge have been disseminated. Sifu Yan lei is a modern monk, which doesn't mean that his teachings are not good but he teaches what he learned at the new Shaolin monastery.

Dr Yang probably knows far better than me the history of Shaolin and worked on ancient documents because he preferred to rely on ancient texts and on the background he had and perhaps found no one who could answer all his questions (you'll have to check that with your teacher :)).

You don't have to find THE REAL yi jin jing, you have to find the one that delivers what you expect, and since you are a student in Dr Yang lineage, you'll have to follow the Martial morality rules. :) How lucky you are!

Some people found Dr Yang standing version (as presented in _chi kung for health and martial arts_ book- one of the first and most simple) quite effective. So..

Edited by bubbles
  • Like 2

Thing is,if it ever existed, the original version is lost. All yi jin jing sets are recompositions from ancient documents. Shaolin monastery has been destroyed, monks almost killed and skills and knowledge have been disseminated. Sifu Yan lei is a modern monk, which doesn't mean that his teachings are not good but he teaches what he learned at the new Shaolin monastery.

Dr Yang probably knows far better than me the history of Shaolin and worked on ancient documents because he preferred rely on ancient texts and perhaps found no one who could answer his questions (you'll have to check that with your teacher :)).

You don't have to find THE REAL yi jin jing, you have to find the one that delivers what you expect, and since you are a student in Dr Yang lineage, you'll have to follow the Martial morality rules. :) How lucky you are!

Some people found Dr Yang standing version (as presented in _chi kung for health and martial arts_ book- one of the first and most simple) quite effective. So..

thanks very much! That confirms what i had sort of surmised from my beginning research. Very helpful reply

i am realizing how lucky i am because reading yang books is like "holy sh*t are you serious"... my teacher studied under helen wu and daniel lee too! i have so much to learn and i am in the right place to do it

so i think i will look for "chi kung for health and martial arts", and i think i will schedule a private session with my teacher to learn some of this w transmission not just from the internet hahahaha :D :D

thank you very much for taking the time to help me! :)

looks like you are in good hands with your teacher,I am happy for you: study hard, ponder, and train consistently! :)

i just got a nice email from my teacher. He says xi sui jing is too advanced, i don't have the foundation, and he won't teach it to me, but he will teach me yi jin jing. So i am happy about that. Dr Yang writes that a firm foundation is needed for xi sui jing and that one must practice yi jin jing for a year before even studying xi sui jing. Its good my teacher goes along with that, not saying "oh sure i'll teach you that"

since it seems like i am getting big beginners eyes and wanting to learn some complex stuff, he advises sticking to foundational exercises like 8 pieces of brocade, and more basic stuff to build a firm foundation, and then moving on to advanced studies later.

I want to pick a set or two and do them every day while i learn qigong basics. I am thinking that four seasons qigong, muscle tendon change, and 8 pieces of brocade should be enough to work on while i study qigong philosophy and general principles, and practice my breathing and orbits and general stuff.

So if anyone has any feedback or suggestions about that, i would love to hear it. Otherwise, i'm just gonna stick to what my teacher says.

So if anyone has any feedback or suggestions about that, i would love to hear it. Otherwise, i'm just gonna stick to what my teacher says.

It would be wise to stick to what your teacher says.

With all the qigong you have listed, you have a pretty decent program. My two cents would be that you should insist HEAVILY on the five regulations explained in details by Dr Yang in _the Root of chinese qigong_. They will open you to layers and layers of profundity in your pratice and you may discover that there are several ways of doing Eight pieces of brocade according to your level of relaxation,etc..and that these simple exercises may bring surprisingly very profound effects.

Happy training!

Edited by bubbles

It would be wise to stick to what your teacher says.

With all the qigong you have listed, you have a pretty decent program. My two cents would be that you should insist HEAVILY on the five regulations explained in details by Dr Yang in _the Root of chinese qigong_. They will open you to layers and layers of profundity in your pratice and you may discover that there are several ways of doing Eight pieces of brocade according to your level of relaxation,etc..and that these simple exercises may bring surprisingly very profound effects.

Happy training!

i just ordered root of chinese qigong and its on its way to my house now. I think it will help a LOT to read that.

do you mean regulating body mind breath qi and shen?

do you mean regulating body mind breath qi and shen?

Yes! they are inter related and IMHO are the compulsory keys to a real practice of qigong.

i know some guys that practice a set of YJJ , they call it i chi chin, i think. but their set has 49 postures

and how they play it is, they do 7 postures a day , in that way they have covered the entire set each week.

with each posture they work 7 breath cycles. each posture seems to be progressively more difficult.

these guys are are extremely well conditioned.

Is anyone here familiar with the Ken Cohen's version of this?; in his book, "The Way Of Qigong" it is only a few movements. I have been practicing it everyday. Ken spends more time describing the breathing than the movements.

Anyone who owns the book would be a great help.

Thanks for the thread and vids. So basically it's about seated meditation and holding postures? I think I will just experiment with how my hands/arms want to move and allow that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yijin_Jing

those seated meditation videos were the xi sui jing, or bone marrow and brain washing.

yi jin jing is a standing form that is stretchier than those vids, and some excercises to pack qi into the fascia near the bones and in the muscles.

not that there is anything wrong with spontaneous qigong. As long as you don't start frothing at the mouth and speaking in tongues, that is.

thanks chidragon, i'll keep those for reference. :) :)

You welcome. anamatva

In general,

1. Yi Jin Jing(易肋經) is for the muscles.

2. Xi Sui Jing(洗膸經) is for the mind.

One should practice the former first then the latter.

PS...

Please don't let the name of the titles fool you.... ;)

Edited by ChiDragon

Thanks for the thread and vids. So basically it's about seated meditation and holding postures? I think I will just experiment with how my hands/arms want to move and allow that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yijin_Jing

XSJ...you basically cant tell jack crap about it from those vids ;)