Sign in to follow this  
Lucky7Strikes

On Effort and Grit

I read a nytimes article the other day on experimental education of character to kids in such things as curiosity, grit, gratitude, and the generally considered virtues of people.

One word that stood out to me was "grit." It reminded me how I used to really prize the idea of grit, of endurance. How we are taught that it is a noble (and mainly masculine) attribute, to endure pain and suffering for a perceived goal. And on the other hand, those who give up are losers and quitters. This was a very strong motivation for me until I began to think that maybe this idea is a cycle of delusional back slapping among people who have questionable and silly goals they refuse to rethink because, hey, you'd be a quitter if you did that.

Maybe that term "grit" is there to console us when there is doubt or a series of questions one is not willing to acknowledge, because grit is really an addition to our egos and pride. How many times have you heard the stories of, "I've been through a, b, c, I can handle anything" type of language not only from people but in your own mind?

It shows lack of true conviction in what our effort is geared towards, and fear of its true value. It's perhaps not even that positive of an attitude as we generally value it, but more often, not even what it truly means when it passes through our minds as motivators: "you have grit! you can do it! don't give up!" Because if our conviction is there with complete faith in its meaningfulness, the ideas of grit or endurance are unnecessary and repetitive. Quitting doesn't even seem like an option. Grit and endurance, in some paradoxical way, are already there.

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

I read a nytimes article the other day on experimental education of character to kids in such things as curiosity, grit, gratitude, and the generally considered virtues of people.

One word that stood out to me was "grit." It reminded me how I used to really prize the idea of grit, of endurance. How we are taught that it is the noble (and mainly masculine) thing to do, to endure pain and suffering for a perceived goal. And on the other hand, those who give up are losers and quitters. This was a very strong motivation for me until I began to think that maybe this idea is a cycle of delusional back slapping among people who have questionable and silly goals they refuse to rethink because, hey, you'd be a quitter if you did that.

It seems to encourage in a negative sense enduring hardship for its own merit. If I am getting at what you are talking about, people should be aware of why they fail and the reasons that they did.

Maybe that term "grit" is there to console us when there is doubt or a series of questions one is not willing to acknowledge, because grit is really an addition to our egos and pride. How many times have you heard the stories of, "I've been through a, b, c, I can handle anything" type of language not only from people but in your own mind?

Enduring with a lack of seeing what is going on around you is a set up for an epic fail. Sure tenacity is brimming. It should keep brimming for them, i only shows that they didnt yet have the tenacity to adapt and improve to offset future hardship.

It shows lack of true conviction in what our effort is geared towards, and fear of its true value. It's perhaps not even that positive of an attitude as we generally value it, but more often, not even what it truly means when it passes through our minds as motivators: "you have grit! you can do it! don't give up!" Because if our conviction is there with complete faith in its meaningfulness, the ideas of grit or endurance are unnecessary and repetitive. Quitting doesn't even seem like an option. Grit and endurance, in some paradoxical way, are already there.

This is a general happy-go-lucky view the world has. Endurance is everything. Yet they cant see evidence that their wife might be sleeping with another guy when an article of clothing is left behind.

Such blinder type behavior saturates the populace in which we live and leaves everyone left behind.

@Lucky7Strikes

I think for some cases you are right, for others not. It's just your awareness of one of several possible socio-psychological mechanisms.

It seems to encourage in a negative sense enduring hardship for its own merit. If I am getting at what you are talking about, people should be aware of why they fail and the reasons that they did.

Enduring with a lack of seeing what is going on around you is a set up for an epic fail. Sure tenacity is brimming. It should keep brimming for them, i only shows that they didnt yet have the tenacity to adapt and improve to offset future hardship.

I guess tenacity to adapt is a good term for using endurance with wisdom.

I think you also brings into point the strong dichotomy of failure vs. success in our society, or losers vs winners, poor vs. rich, outsiders vs. incrowd. All these are false notions of hierarchy based on the ego oriented me vs. you type of mentality shaped into us by society from early school and on. It leaves no room for true sense of self worth that arises solely from the individual mind.

This is a general happy-go-lucky view the world has. Endurance is everything. Yet they cant see evidence that their wife might be sleeping with another guy when an article of clothing is left behind.

Such blinder type behavior saturates the populace in which we live and leaves everyone left behind.

Happy-go-lucky wouldn't really be the term I use. More like chained and dragged by their pride, or as you put it, lack of insight into the future.

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

Don't think I have much natural ability. Everything I ever got good at was only through reams of practice. What are you doing at 3 am?

Sign in to follow this