Sahaj Nath

Depression Kills, Qigong Saves

Under the name screen name of Qigong15 we have a former disciple of GM Wong Kiew Kit on board, he was Shaolin Wahnam representative for UK. He offers a online course. I am not affiliate! :lol:

Edited by bubbles

Hmm, interesting article. Shame that there aren't any teachers in my area.

I was managing my depression really well for awhile, but it's been getting steadily worse lately.

I have my eyes set on Ya Mu's Stillness-Movement, though. Just gotta wait for a stateside workshop next year when I can get some time off from work to go.

Hopefully I'll still care enough to go by then, hehehe.

beyond-blue.jpg?w=497&h=231

Beyond Blue

Have a good support network and friend to talk with.

"Most importantly, we must give hope. And there is abundant hope."

:wub:

Hmm, interesting article. Shame that there aren't any teachers in my area.

I was managing my depression really well for awhile, but it's been getting steadily worse lately.

I have my eyes set on Ya Mu's Stillness-Movement, though. Just gotta wait for a stateside workshop next year when I can get some time off from work to go.

Hopefully I'll still care enough to go by then, hehehe.

Well, you don't have to wait as such. My 2 cts, making a decision to take action counts almost as much as taking action. Actually, making a decision is taking action:-)

Do you know what makes it worse? I know I feel like shit when:

- I'm worried about finances (and the robber baron a44holes aren't)

- I fear relationship issues (and it's just that 'not fair' thing)

- I get concerned about my health (yeah, not so cool effect of heightened awareness, it means I feel every tiny thing, plus I get some kind of bizarre wandering pain when I meditate)

This week I just felt awful. So I decided to look a bit deeper at all of the above. Do some stuff in each of those areas. I also got a hold of a salt bath. That seems to have helped before. This one has orange peel in it :)

Anyway, what I mean is 'hang in there' :) Sorry to blab about what I'm doing. What works for you?

Well, you don't have to wait as such. My 2 cts, making a decision to take action counts almost as much as taking action. Actually, making a decision is taking action:-)

Do you know what makes it worse? I know I feel like shit when:

- I'm worried about finances (and the robber baron a44holes aren't)

- I fear relationship issues (and it's just that 'not fair' thing)

- I get concerned about my health (yeah, not so cool effect of heightened awareness, it means I feel every tiny thing, plus I get some kind of bizarre wandering pain when I meditate)

This week I just felt awful. So I decided to look a bit deeper at all of the above. Do some stuff in each of those areas. I also got a hold of a salt bath. That seems to have helped before. This one has orange peel in it :)

Anyway, what I mean is 'hang in there' :) Sorry to blab about what I'm doing. What works for you?

My current experience is one of moving between states of motivated interest and nihilistic disinterest. What tends to make my depression worse is thinking about what the hell to do with my life.

I have a good career making good money, but it's very stressful and it's not really where my heart is at (I'm a network engineer, so I sit in front of a computer for ten hours a day). However, in attempting to find something more fulfilling to pursue, I run into a block of not knowing what the best move is.

The question for me is twofold; there is the question of possibilities and the question of right action. I have far too many interests to pursue in one lifetime, and lack an adequate guidepost for judging which interests would be best to pursue. As I have not really discovered any point or purpose in living, it's difficult for me to make value judgments on appropriate courses of action.

Since I do not understand the value or purpose of life, it's common for me to desire death; my unwillingness to harm others prevents me from taking action, but creates a mental landscape of feeling trapped - unable to enjoy existence, and unable to escape from it.

As for what helps me, meditation provides a temporary relief, and I'll occasionally experience a period of a few days where I don't get down...but overall my mental state has been in a slow decline.

Oh Man. 10 hours a day in front of a screen???

Right there.

I know I'm driving slightly OT but i'd look into ways to counter this (aside from the fact that any work safety folks worth their salt should have you off the screen every x number of houes and limit total time in front of it, make sure your work-station is correctly designed etc)

The "right livelihood" thing is a good one to discuss but i do believe it involves following your heart.

Here's where I'm not in agreement with the "mind only" approaches. The issues are IMO both in your environment and internal.

Can't fight fire with fire. Can control fire with earth. Can balance 5E.

Edited to add this really neat link: http://www.huna.org/html/execfunction.html

Edited by -K-

Oh Man. 10 hours a day in front of a screen???

Right there.

I know I'm driving slightly OT but i'd look into ways to counter this (aside from the fact that any work safety folks worth their salt should have you off the screen every x number of houes and limit total time in front of it, make sure your work-station is correctly designed etc)

The "right livelihood" thing is a good one to discuss but i do believe it involves following your heart.

Here's where I'm not in agreement with the "mind only" approaches. The issues are IMO both in your environment and internal.

Can't fight fire with fire. Can control fire with earth. Can balance 5E.

Edited to add this really neat link: http://www.huna.org/html/execfunction.html

I started reading the article you linked to, interesting premise, I'll have to finish reading it as I can.

10's aren't so bad, I used to be on 12 hour shifts! In the IT world, there's really not a whole lot of caring about how long you spend in front of a screen. At least not in the companies I've worked at. They do however make sure the chairs are ergonomically appropriate for shift lengths :lol:

As far as following my heart...either I can't hear it properly, or it has no idea what it wants either. Or I suppose, more accurately...the things that my heart seems to want are what almost all spiritual traditions I've read about warn against.

I can agree with the environmental aspect...there are problems with my home environment that I've been unable to correct due to lack of time. That's probably contributing heavily to my state of mind.

"..the things that my heart seems to want are what almost all spiritual traditions I've read about warn against."

Good place to start :-)

I like to look at why the spiritual traditions say what they do and then decide whether it's something that I ought to do, would like to do, that sort of thing. Just one reason to do so is that some traditions might be wholly conditional on local environment, culture, population, political power ( ;)) food sources and trying to extract the why's and wherefores out of them to apply to yourself in an entirely different set of conditions could have unintended consequences. It's the difference between throwing down an anchor in a calm lake and a raging torrent, one of them will rip your boat apart in seconds :)

“Flowing Breeze, Swaying Willows” .

摇風擺柳(Yao Feng Bai Liu) is not a special technique. It is only a description of a swaying motion for the willows while blowing by the mild breeze. If one was using some imaginations, one can visualize the swaying motion of the willows and move the body like it during practice.

@CHIDragon:

Under this name there is a technique that GM Wong Kiew Kit and his disciples teach. Unless you have attended a course or seminar with one of them or at least read one of GM Wong Kiew Kit's books, you won't know or have an idea of what is the technique.

To avoid any meaningless and endless nasty debate, just answer this simple question by a YES or NO so that everyone will know what to do with your post:

Do you know the technique exactly as it is taught in Shaolin Wahnam lineage?

Thanks

Edited by bubbles

Yes...:)

Hehehe...

I really doubt you know what it is about.Otherwise you wouldn't say it is not a special technique. Just guessing it by its Chinese name is insufficient.

And I would add: if you ever practice it ( or if you ever practice what you post about) you wouldn't post like you do.

Edited by bubbles

Hehehe...

I really doubt you know what it is about.Otherwise you wouldn't say it is not a special technique. Just guessing it by its Chinese name is insufficient.

And I would add: if you ever practice it ( or if you ever practice what you post about) you wouldn't post like you do.

It can be creative, isn't it...???...:)

Everything is chi flow which people like to hear in the west. So, what else is new....???

Edited by ChiDragon

It can be creative, isn't it...???...:)

Everything is chi flow which people like to hear in the west. So, what else is new....???

Reading attentively the topic's title you should have noticed that there is a reference to a specific school/lineage : Shaolin Wahnam.(google it if necessary)

The GM of this school teaches a vast range of practices including a specific practice called "Flowing Breeze, Swaying Willows" which is sometimes described as "induced chi flow". This a spontaneous chi kung but it is initiated by some specific acts (Needless to say you don't know them)

If you don't know the school "Shaolin Wahnam" and the way this spontaneous chi kung is initiated inside this school ( which may differ from another one), and if you don't pay attention to the nature and content of the topic, then

Why do you post into the topic and write things like:

摇風擺柳(Yao Feng Bai Liu) is not a special technique

AND

????

If you don't know what people are talking about:

1. refrain from posting OR

2. post to ask for information before acting like a troll.

Please respect the initial post (Hundun's one).

Thanks

Edited by bubbles

The transmission and teaching from Sifu Wong Kiew Kit has basically led most of my training. His teaching can basically apply to everything, any other techniques i've practiced have benefited from my learning from Sifu Wong.

Just being in Sifu's presence your mind goes very sharp, you feel lighter and of course the chi flow is much more powerful.

If you say you purposely move your body like a willow in a breeze you have absolutely no understanding of this skill in Shaoling Wahnam lineage.

It's a product of being able to generate chi flow, and indeed as said above if you have the skill to generate this flow you can use any external pattern to amp things up or get the flow highlighting a certain way.

You don't move the body, the flowing chi moves your body. Its a really great thing to develop and I practice it every day. It's so easy and enjoyable too!

As someone with severe bipolar disorder this was a very interesting and promising read. Too bad the system is nowhere near my area and doesn't offer any kind of book/DVD product. I guess I'll stick with FP qigong for now.

Edited by Audiohealing