Astral_Anima

Your Favorite Martial Art

Aye-Yo, :lol:

So I'm thinking of picking up a martial art to add to my health and help develop some physical strength/endurance. I tried Aikido for a few months but didn't really care for it. Soooooo I want to know everyone's favorite martial art and why it's your favorite :D Also if you have any fun experiences from training feel free to share any benefit you've gotten from training in your martial art.

Personally I'm not so interested in learning to kick someone's butt using force, i'm more interested in developing focus, flexibility, endurance, and just overall health for my meditation. So what martial art is your fave, and what do you recommend I try?

Thanks in advance :)

-Astral

Well, I only have experience with Wing Chun, but I definitely love it and it is currently my favorite!

However, for your stated goals I don't think it's what you're looking for. Wing Chun focuses on efficiency and kicking ass, and flexibility is more of an afterthought as most of the movements are based on natural ranges of motion.

Personally, I think Tai Chi would be great for you to look into. I myself plan on taking up Tai Chi once I get a vehicle and have the mobility to make it to classes. To my mind, Tai Chi fits your requirements almost exactly, except for maybe endurance if you're talking cardiovascular (although I could be wrong about that as well, please correct me someone if I am!).

Internal martial art - not too hard not too soft. I like internal Shaolin Kung Fu and Taijiquan. I prefer the meditation and energy developement side of the arts.

Edited by Ish

I do taiji and love it.

It has helped me a LOT with a posture and aligment after I had a serious injury(that is why I started it in the first place)and now I am getting deeper and can tell you that it is a true art contatly reveleaing new depths on different levels.At the moment I am curious to learn martial side of it too which is so much fun as I am learning to express myself in a whole new way.

I would say it also depends who you are learning with becouse I have tried it few years back and stopped as I got bored with the way class was though and felt that my previous teacher lacked depth.

I am very slow at learning and in no rush but can see myself in 30 years time as one of those taiji grannies for sure :D .

Soooooo I want to know everyone's favorite martial art and why it's your favorite :D

Anything that you actually practice :) and preferable enjoy practicing so you practice it lots :D

I like Tong Long, especially how it's presented :-

Respect your: Elders, Parents, Teachers and their Teachings

Train to be: Kind, Honest, Generous, Kung Fu

(notice how the skill cultivated through long and hard work is the least important bit)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0wRqR9J8WA

{and I know quite a few "Tai Chi Grannies", they kick ass :B}

Edited by Mal Stainkey

Well up until two years ago, Wing Chun was my preferred martial art. Now my favorite would be Baguazhang. I feel just calling the whole system of baguazhang a martial art is not the correct definition.

Baguazhang is now my favorite because, I seen how if the basic concepts and teks are learned and mastered, it is the best and most lethal fighting sytem I have seen. This alone would have sold it to the twenty something me. Erle always said that baguazhang was the art of overkill!

The reason I plan on practice baguazhang for the rest of my days is because of the HEALTH benefits. (see the topic by me "I AM LIVING PROOF THAT CHI KUNG WORKS) I must say that so far in what I have felt and experienced, baguazhang is the ULTIMATE healing system as well, I know many tai chi players might argue this, but I cannot argue with them as I am ignorant to the intricacies of tai chi. However, I am learning the basics of baguazhang and even at a basic level one can watch and feel their body transform.

When it comes to the "martial"...besides avoiding conflicts altogether...

"Western" boxing; if you've got a decent trainer.

Training in boxing increases your odds of winning a street fight greatly. You will have the strength, speed, power, conditioning, mobility, agility and hand eye coordination that the other guy (lets just be honest) will not have.

If the fight is taken to the ground, MMA type stuff or BJJ most likely isn't going to be too effective unless it's on grass. And a trained boxer can still throw a lot of devastating punches while on the ground, being wrestled, without having trained for that.

If a person kicks you, they've just given away half of their ability to balance and avoid your blows.

So boxing is my favorite martial art.

But if you want an art just for focus, flexibilty, endurance and overall health...maybe baguazhang. Or what would be even better is pilates or yoga, since you don't care too much about the martial aspect.

A lot of people like taiji, but to me it seems not challenging enough for cardiorespiratory...and it doesn't really develop flexibility.

• Like 1

For general flexibility, strength, and endurance, in an environment of people who don't really care about whether someone can kick their ass or not, I recommend capoeira. Lots of flexibility, stamina, balance, and strength required to do it. If you're looking for something connected to Eastern philosophy then it's not really there, but it tends to draw a lot "conscious" people all the same.. Also the momentum, rhythm, flow, etc. will be even more fun after doing Aikido :)

• Like 1

...add to my health ... develop some physical strength/endurance... not so interested in learning to kick someone's butt using force..... more interested in developing focus, flexibility, endurance, and just overall health for my meditation.

What you list above as your goals lead me to recommend Taijiquan.

And it also happens to be my favorite.

That said, all martial arts are good for most of what you are after.

My favorite place to train that I got the most out was a Japanese karate school. This is out of kung fu, aikido,a little taekwondo and taiji. I'd like to learn more application in taiji instead of just the form, but the location was not convenient. But my point is even though karate was probably not the "best martial art," the school and teacher were terrific. Lots of military, ex-military and law enforcement trained there so picked up some very practical self defense- and good friends to have. So my suggestion would be check out places that are convenient for you and go watch or see if you can train a little and get idea of how it fits with the gist of what you want from training , rather than picking an art and feeling like you have go where you can learn the one you picked.

See attached image, and your questions will be answered.

post-20312-131699149215_thumb.jpg

I always wondered what it would be like learning ninjitsu. U think they have any internal arts? or is it all based on illusion and deception?

I was originally thinking Wing-Chun cause i'm kinda "slim" but I'm not really interested in violence. I wouldn't mind learning how to play ping-pong with nunchucks though XD

I'll have to look into some of these recommendations. I'm not so well versed in all these diff types.

jaysahnztao- thats pretty interesting to hear, I had bagua in the back of my head because I remember hearing it was like the only strictly daoist martial art, which sounded kinda neat. After reading your post I'm definitely going to have to pay it some more mind.

Edited by Astral_Anima
  • Like 1

I always wondered what it would be like learning ninjitsu. U think they have any internal arts? or is it all based on illusion and deception?

Depends.

The Bujinkan is a very big organization and every teacher can be very different. Some may be way more into meditation and cultivation, others may not be.

I have no idea about the Genbukan or Jinenkan.

Stephen K. Hayes was always into the esoteric and meditation aspect to ninjutsu (kuji-in and stuff). He become ordained in the Tendai sect I think. Hayes has some very well put together DVD's, and from what I know (as far as techniques), his system (To Shin Do) is very standardized. Not only does it teach techniques that are practical and adapted for modern situations, but they all connect to traditional techniques. He's got a couple of DVD's out about Kuji and meditation. I don't know how many instructors are educated in it or are qualified to teach it.

A lot of people like taiji, but to me it seems not challenging enough for cardiorespiratory...and it doesn't really develop flexibility.

Speaking from experience, Taiji does improve flexibility but you do have to practice.

To the OP, for me it's always been finding something I enjoy and finding a good teacher.

I have trained in Karate, Judo, Tae Kwon Do, Wing Chun, and Taiji.

Taiji is my favorite.

When it comes to the "martial"...besides avoiding conflicts altogether...

"Western" boxing; if you've got a decent trainer.

Training in boxing increases your odds of winning a street fight greatly. You will have the strength, speed, power, conditioning, mobility, agility and hand eye coordination that the other guy (lets just be honest) will not have.

If the fight is taken to the ground, MMA type stuff or BJJ most likely isn't going to be too effective unless it's on grass. And a trained boxer can still throw a lot of devastating punches while on the ground, being wrestled, without having trained for that.

If a person kicks you, they've just given away half of their ability to balance and avoid your blows.

So boxing is my favorite martial art.

But if you want an art just for focus, flexibilty, endurance and overall health...maybe baguazhang. Or what would be even better is pilates or yoga, since you don't care too much about the martial aspect.

Scotty by no means do I mean any disrespect, but I would bet if one put a boxer vs baguazhang players in fight that both had the same amount of hours in of training and had the same amount of time in practiciing applications (this IS hypothetical), I think the baguazhang player would win, because the baguazhang player's footwork should be able to put him at an advantage due to the circular nature. I will admit that I don't know that much about boxing, but I that is just my opinion, interested in your reply Scotty.

This is all in good fun, ok?

Depends.

The Bujinkan is a very big organization and every teacher can be very different.

I was a member of the Bujinkan for quite a few years and in the end I saw through all the BS.

It's a cult whose members hero worship Hatsumi ( a shrewd business man who cashed in on the 'ninja' craze of the 70's&80's ).

Ninjutsu was made up, a mish mash of Budo arts schools which Hatsumi claimed lineage rights over.

There is a lot of controversy surrounding the art and the organizations who teach it.

The grading system is an absolute joke, with members awarded grades for 'turning up' at seminars and workshops, regardless of the hours put in. I mean 15th Dan, what nonsense !

A karate guy with a few years behind him would walk all over these 'ninjutsu' guys. I've seen it happen.

• Like 1

Awesome video, I'd never seen the last half.

I've always thought a great teacher trumps the particular art. If there's a genius teaching combat sewing, then thats the way to go. With the caveat in real life classes that are closer and reasonably priced have an edge over those 100 miles a way and charge big bucks.

I really enjoyed my years in Ki-Aikido. (IMO)A good art should be about more then fighting.

Scotty by no means do I mean any disrespect, but I would bet if one put a boxer vs baguazhang players in fight that both had the same amount of hours in of training and had the same amount of time in practiciing applications (this IS hypothetical), I think the baguazhang player would win, because the baguazhang player's footwork should be able to put him at an advantage due to the circular nature. I will admit that I don't know that much about boxing, but I that is just my opinion, interested in your reply Scotty.

This is all in good fun, ok?

I have no idea how that fight would go (depends on the players too) but I'd love to see it. :lol:

• Like 1

Actually, there's pretty good medical data that shows real cardiorespiratory benefits from taiji although, I agree that it doesn't feel challenging to young fit folks. The key is to get good enough at it that you can do it slowly enough and with deep enough stances to make it truly challenging. And I disagree with you about the flexibility piece - it's great for flexibility. It really helps to loosen the hip joints and the spine in addition to the usual stretching stuff (hamstrings, etc...).