Sign in to follow this  
lezlie

Tao Bum Meetup

What a great idea. Real world contact sure beats cyber-space -& I love cyber-space... What are the geographics/demographics of the Bums? It seems there are a little less than 500 of us hoboing our way along. Most seem to be American but there are plenty globally.

It could be that a National or State Park may be optimal to set up a camp site so to keep over-head costs down and be out in the beauty of the world... Or perhaps tie it in with the "Gathering of the vibes", or even "Burning Man" to make a broader reach as a group... And have built-in facilities to keep our costs down...

I have just added a thread for the OneVoice Gathering in NYC on Oct. 15th. Maybe we could use that as a dry-run for a larger event later on...

Or even a caravan/road trip that makes a few stops and has an itinerary that can go from California to Memphis to NYC, Montreal , Chicago with camping spots figured out to meet at...

Or all of the above!? C'mon back good buddies, is that a ten-four?

It would be ideal to keep it in one central location (city) and not an event (Burning Man, etc.) for reasons of cost and interest.

And, just as Lozen stated Phoenix, I would assume most attending would want it to be in or near their current location.

If enough people have interest, members of the forum could suggest all their cities of interest and then Sean could run a poll to see what the majority selects.

I'm glad at least two of you are interested. I am, and so is Sean. I think Todd might be up for it, and surely Cam... and Yoda? I guess we'll see if it goes anywhere.

Well, I said Phoenix because I figured Cam and Yoda would like that location, and they're TB supporters, so their vote should count double. ;)

hey that's cool, I just yesterday told a friend how I would love to meet

you guys in persona one day. Even though participating in a meeting

doesn't look very realistic in the near future for myself, setting up such an event

feels like a step in the right direction.

Vegas baby! Cheap flights. We could all meditate in the harmonic energy of the Luxor, etc. Just brainstorming.

As Lozen said, I do find my way to Phoenix every so often, but it's a challenge to get me to travel at all these days.

-yOda

Bay Area or NYC are cool places to hang. If its a one day or weekend deal Sedona, Arizona is a beautiful nature spot where we can hike, see beautiful mountains and go on off road 4x4 tours. They have these power spots called vortexes people into the energy would like.

Probably not practical for everyone to meet at once though since people on here are from all over the world and have there own schedule.

Might work if we plan waaaay in advance though. Like Sedona, NYC or Bay Area summer 2007 or something. My vote would be that the gathering might be also centered around a retreat. For example, in summer 2007 I am planning on doing either lesser kan and li or greater kan and li retreat with Michael Winn in the catskills. Maybe a number of us can hang in NYC a couple days then do the retreat together. Or, if enough people were into it we could do an Adyashanti satsang or weekend intensive and hang out in Bay Area(getting our own hotels obviously not all cramming into your loft).

And Sedona regularly has interesting spiritual retreats I think and is just a cool, peacful place to hang.

Cam

Cam,

We are the tao*bums*... of course we'd all crash in their loft, raid the frige and check out their squirt vids, etc. :)

~~

Just for the record, if anyone is passing through Columbia, SC feel free to stay the night here in Degoba. Also, Mrs Yoda and kids do take off for a month or so every year, so a retreat at my house would be a possibility. If anyone is going to a Winn class in Asheville... a stopover here would be a possibility. Last I heard, Mbanu lives in Columbia too. I've not hung out with him to date, but we might be able to scare up that hard to find wizard too. Down the road, I have ambitions to start something of a retreat center too. But my pad will do fine for the meantime--there's a picture of it in the gallery section somewhere. I'm just starting to trick it up... will pop some towerbusters at the corners, put up a picture of Yogani in my office, putting in bamboo floors, etc.

-Yoda

PS, just kidding about the photo of the unguru of course.

I was just thinking that a Tao Bums Nature Retreat would be cool. Find some affordable retreat center in some nature area, and have a fun informal 3-5 day retreat. There could be a loose schedule (standing in the morning), fellow Tao Bums could give some lectures (student-to-students, lecturers pay same as everyone else), hikes, good food (if the retreat ctr gives use of a kitchen we could do the cooking), hangin' out. I think the "schedule" could be loose, like half way between totally-casual-no-schedule-friends-hangin'-&-groovin' and a scheduled-retreat. Joshua Tree is the first place that pops to mind. I bet, since we're not paying anyone and not shooting for a profit, that fees would be low.

(O'course any meet-up sounds good, retreat or no.)

so a retreat at my house would be a possibility.

Degoba! :D

I'd love to have a house on land with several extra rooms and 2 addtl cottages, some chickens etc, a huge garden, and a moving practice hall and a stillness practice hall. :D:D:D Mini-monastery.

I could go for an excuse to get to the Bay Area or L.A. even... Probably couldn't do more than 3 or 4 days including travel time due to my ridiculous schedule.

Leslie,

I have met people in person that are either on this board or were on the older HT board. All I can say is that it has always been a wonderful experience. The sharing, learning, and experiences can be incredible. I am defintely interested and hope that I can attend. Great idea! If it is in a place I will be able to attend I would be happy to volunteer to lead a group meditation or whatever you need that I can help with.

Matt

It would be great to meet, but hard to schedule.

The easiest might be a meeting of the Eastern block and another meeting of the Western block. Yoda's suggestion of Las Vegas as a third site sounds good too.

Why don't we brainstorm in terms of those three locations. Think about possible whens and locations, then see who could make it. Lozen (Cam), what place and time would you recommend? Sean(Yoda), where would be an ideal location for you and when?

Michael

A good ongoing idea is let members know what seminars (and why) we're going to and plan to connect there(which is already happening to some extent).

How many people would be interested in a TaoBums.com official meetup?

I'd be into it. With enough time for planning, anywhere in the west coast and Arizona, Nevada is also beautiful.

That would be great to meet any who could make it.

Bill

I don't really go on retreats, but I'm planning on heading to California for one of the Emoto lectures at some point: http://www.hado.net/seminar.html ... (or maybe not... Is it worth $30 and a drive to San Diego for a two hour lecture?) and I want to make it to a Crossfit cert as soon as I can get the money together. I'll be in Ann Arbor in mid-December. Those are all the trips I have planned.

Edited by Lozen

OoOoooh that does sound cool =)

too bad I live in germany, though... I won't cross the pacific to see my parents, even... Though I guess I am much more interested in meeting all the tao bums =) (Especially Lozen... :wub::wub::wub: )

how about a european meetup!!!?? :D

That`d be nice. But it would have to be planned way ahead (at least for me), and somewhere that isn`t expensive (I˙m just a student). :)

I`m probably going to a place in Venice (I think it`s called Dolo) next weekend to learn (and refresh) a bit about sound practice. Anybody there? :lol:

Pero,

Now thats a town to meet in! I've not been to Venice since the 70's and guess it has changes less than most places since then. Enjoy!

I visit the US about twice a year, mainly the DC area and southern California, but if my schedule ever coincides, I'd be up for anywhere on the West Coast and anywhere on the East Coast but Florida (for bile-inducing reasons I won't get into right now!)

As for a European meet-up, I'd love an excuse to make it finally to Italy or Eastern Europe, but anywhere in Spain or Portugal is especially convenient for me . . . I might even be able to offer a spare guest house in Galicia, if my girlfriend's family doesn't sell it anytime too soon!

There are lots of dirt cheap flights between Spain and Britain or Ireland, so I'd be up for those locations too.

Uh, just make sure you're not in your all caps wanting to kill people mood. ;)

I seriously have no idea what to say. =p

Sign in to follow this