Mal

Dave and Cody

Anyong seen this? I'm loving it.

519CV5DHgbL._SX500_.jpg

Survival Shows: What’s the big draw?

http://kimkircher.com/2011/05/06/survival-shows-whats-the-big-draw/

Dave is an army-trained sniper and scout and Cody never wears shoes or long pants, even when he’s post-holing through thigh deep snow. In this scenario, the two men recreate the skills needed to survive the aftermath of an avalanche with only a nearly empty pack of gear. Dave and Cody demonstrate how to get out of this “brutal wilderness” with only one pair of snowshoes, one ski pole, a wad of p-cord, one tube of lip balm and a nearly empty book of matches. Granted, the show would have been MUCH more interesting if the two demonstrated how to survive the actual avalanche, but I can imagine that the men weren’t too keen on honing that particular skill, since the chances of surviving a real avalanche are slim.

During their retreat towards civilization, the two create a snow cave for shelter, build a fire to melt snow for drinking and salvage a dead elk for food. For a while the two slog through the snow, using the snowshoes for balance, until they finally decide that one should actually don the snow shoes. Of course, Cody wears only socks and shorts, making the survival situation all the more dire (the temperature is 3 degrees and dropping). He claims he’s “not a normal person.” He strengthens his mitochondria by exposing himself in this manner so that he can “kick ass” in cold temperatures. Whatever. It makes for an interesting show.

cody-06-wyoming-625x450.jpg

Dave is an awesome hunter,

dave-canterbury-dual-survival.jpg?d=600

watching him stalk prey is unreal. Totally "native"

Cody is like a great ape,

cody-lundin-dual-survival.jpg?d=600

walking the earth (barefoot for 20+ years) tracking down "slow moving protein"

in shorts, even in extreme weather.

LivingBarefootShow19.jpg

http://www.livingbarefoot.info/2010/07/the-living-barefoot-show-we-interview-cody-lunin/

awesome interview. Carry crazy glue, tweezers (and duct tape)

"It's like a 5th sense. I'm profoundly aware of where I put my feer, most of the time. But if you do anything for 10~20 years, you are going to get good at it."

In one of the episodes, after crossing a river, Dave and Cody run barefoot for the trees to make fire. Really easy to see the different in Dave's heel strike gate and Cody's forefoot strike. Also in the 1st episode when Cody was "taking a few moments to acclimatize to the cold" ... looked like he was doing tumo ;)

Edited by Mal Stainkey
  • Like 1

That looks interesting Mal. I saw some billboards up today when cycling to work for a similar show(or maybe it is the same).And thought I would like to see it.

Never seen it, but the commercials for it did make it look interesting. Unfortunately, I usually only watch TV when over at my friends' house doing leatherwork, and they have no interest in the show. :P

I love this show! Cody cracks me up, because he doesn't like when the other guy kills an animal for food. But once the animal is killed, he has no problems eating it.

I like how Cody is always hurting his feet, yet he keeps on insisting on going barefoot. :lol:

Also seeing one of the episodes last night spoke to me. They were in a desert, and finally came upon water - a river. Cody started crying, and said something like "when you see water like this, all of the other bullshit just falls away". So true. There are so many things we take for granted in our modern lives. When facing mother nature directly, the entire game changes, and makes us realize what's really important.

_/\_