Jetsun

Do Buddhist masters only bloom later in life?

I was watching this programme on the BBC called "Buddha in Suburbia" which is about the journey of Lelung Rinpoche as he tries to gather the lost teachings of his lineage. They showed him meeting many high Lama's one of whom said that he should go back to the West and show his powers in order to spread the Dharma, but he came out of the meeting saying that he didn't have any special powers to show, then they interviewed Robert Thurman who said that many of the Buddhist masters start off early in life not that impressive and without any powers for many years and it is only later on in life beyond middle age when the practice really blooms into something wonderful.

So it made me think maybe all the practice you do early in life is sowing seeds which will only blossom after many years, perhaps you could practice for tens of years or over half your life with little obvious surface benefit for it all to come to fruition later on and was wondering is this the normal state of affairs for Buddhist masters? does anyone know of any genuine young masters? According to Thurman even the Dalai Lama was like that in that early on in his life he didn't show many signs of powers but then something bloomed in his later years.

Edited by Jetsun

I heard, the more you give the more you get in return

but to do that you need to have something first

and you don't get more of something, you get something else

so it's more like an exchange and it can happen at any age

Raises the questions of what do you mean by "bloom" and what are 'powers'? For example the Dali Lama has 'bloomed' as a political leader and has powers of persuasion and charisma. But I've seldom thought of him as either a soon-to-bloom Buddha, or as a profound teacher.

Raises the questions of what do you mean by "bloom" and what are 'powers'? For example the Dali Lama has 'bloomed' as a political leader and has powers of persuasion and charisma. But I've seldom thought of him as either a soon-to-bloom Buddha, or as a profound teacher.

I wouldn't underestimate the Dalai Lama, he says himself he has no great achievement or meditation progress but I feel he may just be being humble. If you examine his surface life he is 76 years old and still travels most of the year giving teachings and he never seems to be tired or irritable, he is always smiling and joking full of energy and you can see in his face he doesn't look as old as his years by a long shot. He recently had surgery and the doctor said he was never worried because when he examined his body he had the constitution of a man of his twenties. This doesn't prove him a potential Buddha but I know how much Taoists are impressed by longevity :P also when he talks about his succession he seems to be pretty certain of the age of his death so he has some foresight in this area.

I met him when I knew little about Buddhism and was sceptical and closed off to the world in many ways and his bodhicitta was powerful enough to penetrate all of my defences and touch my heart in just a few moments, so personally I would certainly classify him as a bodhisattva and I fully understand why some people describe him as "lamp" in the world.

This may sound sycophantic but it might even be that he is one of the most influential Buddhists that has ever lived as in the modern world with worldwide media and accessibility his teachings have touched more people than any other Buddhist master in history through skillfull means and he has probably given more empowerments and more importantly he practices what he preaches with his non violent approach. Just having a teacher who practices what they preach seems like a quite an achievement these days.

Just having a teacher who practices what they preach seems like a quite an achievement these days.

It is my impression too.

Thank you for this post and your testimonial about the Dalai Lama.

Of course Dalai Lama is enlightened. Furthermore, his main practice is Dzogchen and he is also a Dzogchen teacher, Dzogchen being one of the most profound teachings of Tibetan Buddhism. (Dzogchen (Rdzogs chen or Atiyoga) is the natural, primordial state or natural condition of the mind, and a body of teachings and meditation practices aimed at realizing that condition.)

Celebrity is a yoke. It means nothing. If someone is ready and their time arrives, then they go forth. If someone is ready and their time never arrives, they simply die ready. Those who are destined have their upbringing and retainers provided or no. Fulfilling destiny, cherish your anonymity.

Do not waste too much time idly pondering personalities or spiritual gifts. Your own essence is not one iota more or less than any other person who has ever lived, be it buddha, lama, saint, sage, immortal, your mom, whatever.

That which starts from the most incipient beginnings and takes the longest to develop ripens naturally without attracting negative energies.

Mastery is no mistake. After a long time of single-minded dedication, far-reaching study and fearless application, anything can be mastered.

The only ones you hear about are the ones you hear about. Blooming has no correlate in notoriety. You only see the mountain flowers if you go far into the mountains in certain times of the year. That bloom is no less an achievement than some rarity in a museum. I'd rather live out a life-time in a remote unknowable location moving along with the rarified breeze and dying unknown, forgotten and free. Who needs spiritual powers?

Do you believe you would be the envy of a world-honored celebrity of true merit?

Assess your own mastery. If is is found wanting, then do what you must without delay.❤

• Like 1