Sign in to follow this  
Everything

How much do monks sleep?

Alot of people think that sleeping more then 8 hours a day is unhealthy, useless, a waste of time. That a person who sleeping is not working or productive. Thus, someone who is sleeping is not part of society. Some people even desire to "cure" themselves of this imaginary disease he calls "sleep". The cure is an alarm clock. And according to doctors, when 8 hours isn't enough, you're not eating enough.

Hehe... That is obviously a by product of the industrialized world we live in. I wonder how much those old monks sleep and eat. I've seen someone with my own eyes who is 103 years old, sleeps alot, and eats very little. That doesn't match the common believe out there.

I experimented with the length of sleep a little bit and found out that 7-8 hours really works best for me. If I sleep much longer than that, I'm usually kind of dizzy and sleepy the whole day. Only sometimes (like when I'm really tired physically) I need to sleep longer. In such cases, 9 hours is usually enough. But that's just me. Maybe I'm a byproduct of this industrialized society :)

In general, I'd say the quality of sleep is probably more important than the length.

If no one bothers me I can sleep for almost 12 hours (awwwwwwwww yeaaaaaah...)

I noticed if a relax myself and do empty minded meditation right before sleep, I can cut it to 6 hours and be completely rested

If you're Yin deficient then you need sleep as much until you charge your battery. Sleep until you wake up naturally.

• Like 1

If no one bothers me I can sleep for almost 12 hours (awwwwwwwww yeaaaaaah...)

I noticed if a relax myself and do empty minded meditation right before sleep, I can cut it to 6 hours and be completely rested

That is very interesting, because I've experienced the same thing.

I thought it was a coincidence. Perhaps I should try that out again.

If you're Yin deficient then you need sleep as much until you charge your battery. Sleep until you wake up naturally.

What if you're yang deficient. Sleep less? :P

Constantly sleeping little, a person sometimes is equivalant to being legally drunk. No sleep, followed by a holy sht boom mega long sleep sounds awesome. Just like the best meal on the planet after not havin eaten for a whole day. Would that increase yang? Or just restore balance by visitin extremes?

Edited by Everything

What if you're yang deficient. Sleep less? :P

Yes. And work more. Physical work I mean. Until you burn your candle. Then charge your Yin and so on. "After Yin there is Yang. After Yang there is Yin. This we call the Way."

Sign in to follow this