Seth Ananda

Taking Refuge.

"I take refuge in the Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha, until I reach enlightenment..."

I have been having thoughts about 'Taking Refuge' which is a fond part of my practice.

When I first started taking refuge, It was like making a dedication of commitment and/or an aspiration builder. I would repeat it over and over, to attempt to build resolve, and I like that.

Just lately though, I have been thinking about other possible levels of meaning.

To me the part that says "I take refuge in the Buddha..." means [in part] that I am taking refuge in my Buddha nature, my own awakened Mind. Then It occurred to me that there are many times when I am actually not 'Taking Refuge' in Buddha, but am actually attempting to take refuge in Illusory phenomena.

In a way, taking Refuge represents a turning away from seeking Happiness in temporary and Impermanent things that only engender more clinging/delusion and aversion.

{I cant help notice the Sutric path renunciation vibe here, but dont worry, I still enjoy things, lol}

So now I am catching myself more often, as I start to try to take Refuge {find happiness in} samsaric elements. And when I realise that is what I am doing, It is a lot easier to see the folly of these grasping actions with full knowledge that they will not lead to happiness, and so I can just let it go.

I wonder how many other layers of depth this simple practice may have? Any Ideas?

Peace. Seth. :wub:

@ Seth

I'm glad you posted this, as I had the same impression.

What I also wonder about is how broad Sangha can be.. Does it have to be an organization of other Buddhists who have taken refuge in the Three Treasures? Or can it be just the Buddha nature that exists in everyone? Usually if we speak to this nature in someone it becomes that which is speaking back to us. If we walk around seeing people's Buddha nature, then we are surrounded by opportunities to take refuge in our Sangha maybe. It would be nice to have access to Buddhist monks all the time, but that just isn't possible for most people I think, and not all monks are more perfect than the average person on a good day.. Further, if I feel like the available temples are not where my path is at, does my own meditation cushion become the Sangha?

I wonder what the consensus on this is as well

?

@ Seth

What I also wonder about is how broad Sangha can be.. Does it have to be an organization of other Buddhists who have taken refuge in the Three Treasures? Or can it be just the Buddha nature that exists in everyone? Usually if we speak to this nature in someone it becomes that which is speaking back to us. If we walk around seeing people's Buddha nature, then we are surrounded by opportunities to take refuge in our Sangha maybe. It would be nice to have access to Buddhist monks all the time, but that just isn't possible for most people I think, and not all monks are more perfect than the average person on a good day.. Further, if I feel like the available temples are not where my path is at, does my own meditation cushion become the Sangha?

I am Buddha nature

You are Buddha nature

There is nothing and no one that is not Buddha nature :)

Everything in this world can be taken from you: your life, your possessions, your comapnions...etc

-No one can take the Buddha out of you...so take refuge there in the one thing that will always remain.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen

Refuge is a statement of trust and intent. In the Mahayana it's accompanied by bodichitta in its aspirational and actional aspects.

Refuge can have outer, inner, secret, and innermost secret meanings:

In the Three Jewels, and their essence, the sugatas,

In the three roots: lama, yidam and khandro,

In the channels, inner air, and tiklés, and their nature, the bodhichitta,

In the mandala of essence, nature and compassion,

I take refuge until enlightenment is fully realized.

[Taken from here]

Edited by rex

Once you have taken refuge in the Buddha and sworn your oath do you feel bad if you ever study and practice other teachings non Buddhist? like you are cheating on your wife or something like that.

To me the oath is quite serious in that on the literal level you are declaring Buddha as your main teacher, I study a lot of Dharma but I am still on the fence at the moment and not ready to take refuge as I study a few other paths too and am not ready to commit to Buddha 100% yet, one day I get the feeling I will have to commit one way or the other though.

Once you have taken refuge in the Buddha and sworn your oath do you feel bad if you ever study and practice other teachings non Buddhist? like you are cheating on your wife or something like that.

To me the oath is quite serious in that on the literal level you are declaring Buddha as your main teacher, I study a lot of Dharma but I am still on the fence at the moment and not ready to take refuge as I study a few other paths too and am not ready to commit to Buddha 100% yet, one day I get the feeling I will have to commit one way or the other though.

I believe a lot of practices other than Buddhist practice have the Buddha nature in it; like the Tao, for instance. As long as the practice does not contradict Buddha's teachings like that of a Christian Buddhist...I laugh because that's one heck of a contradiction! :wacko:

I believe a lot of practices other than Buddhist practice have the Buddha nature in it; like the Tao, for instance. As long as the practice does not contradict Buddha's teachings like that of a Christian Buddhist...I laugh because that's one heck of a contradiction! :wacko:

Yeah I agree many other paths may have Buddha nature and may not contradict, but by taking refuge you stake your full faith and confidence on the lineage coming from the Buddha as being all you need, so you can respect other paths but you shouldn't feel the need of any of their teachings if you really meant your vows.

Edited by Jetsun

Well then, I certainly can't see myself making a vow and attachment to one teaching. I like to stay confused and unsure...concluding to one thing or idea is so limiting.

But yes, you would be right, if you make a promise to one thing and practice another, that is sort of cheating but you're not cheating Buddha, you're cheating yourself.

• Like 1

@ Seth

?

Cool, nice thoughts... :)

Hehe, I have had moments with this doubt as well, but that was when I was not as sure about my path being the Buddhist path. Now that I have become certain that Buddhism is my path, I feel free to use other teachings or practices because they will only be treated as supplemental tools for my journey towards Buddha hood.

For Instance I love Qero teachings, Its my favourite form of Shamanism {mind you Bon looks pretty attractive now but i do not have access to a Bon teacher as yet} and In many ways its teachings are almost entirely based on interdependence, so It strengthens my Buddhist practice, and It has some very 'skilful means' for interacting with the energetic universe...

Same goes for much of Taoism...

Refuge to one seeking to cultivate the Buddhist path is like yeast to a bread-maker. He may have a hundred different recipes for making all kinds of fanciful breads and wonderful patisseries, but he needs good yeast.

I think taking Refuge does not imply being bound in any way. In fact, its the opposite. Then every single thought, every word spoken, every interaction with self and others, becomes an opportunity to touch one's Buddha heart and germinate the essence within.

Why should there be guilt associated with the Buddhist path? If we have been insincere with the path of refuge, we simply acknowledge that, and then set our minds to apply determined effort to help others not make the same error. In doing so, a person not only learns to be more sincere, he or she is actually putting into practice Right View and Right Effort, which then trickles down into generosity and loving kindness in action for others, and thru repetitive cycles, slowly whatever broken samayas have occurred in the past are repaired, without even having to make any conscious effort to look for each single transgression and mend them one by one, which requires too much laborious effort, which is basically a total waste of time and energy anyway.

I think in some ways this is what is meant by creating positive causes without dwelling too much on analyzing past effects of right and wrong actions. If one keeps one's mind on doing the right things in each moment, each day, then slowly, whatever has had a negative impact in one's life, due to past karma, will dissipate, including all residual remains as well. And the most effective way to keep one's body, speech and mind on the right path is thru refuge and aspirational practices.

In such practices, we should not focus/obsess so much about getting results ~ instead, we learn to direct attention on using what we think we are lacking in to help others by encouraging them not to fall into similar errors. Naturally, when we see others improving themselves due to this encouragement, we will spontaneously become very inspired ~ our motives become purer, our sincerity becomes more authentic, and this in turn leads to greater and more expansive fulfillment and peace. Then, in finding this fulfillment and peace, our seeking Refuge becomes more open, more spacious... in turn, when finally others feel this genuine freedom and ease in us, they too become inspired to practice well. So everyone wins from the simple act of taking refuge! ;)

• Like 1

we should not focus/obsess so much about getting results ~ instead, we learn to direct attention on using what we think we are lacking in to help others by encouraging them not to fall into similar errors. Naturally, when we see others improving themselves due to this encouragement, we will spontaneously become very inspired ~ our motives become purer, our sincerity becomes more authentic, and this in turn leads to greater and more expansive fulfillment and peace. Then, in finding this fulfillment and peace, our seeking Refuge becomes more open, more spacious... in turn, when finally others feel this genuine freedom and ease in us, they too become inspired to practice well. So everyone wins from the simple act of taking refuge! ;)

WOW!!!!

That was so well said man. Inspiring.

Thumbs up to Seth as well your insights.

You guys are super.

Edited by mat black
  • Like 1

WOW!!!!

That was so well said man. Inspiring.

Thumbs up to Seth as well your insights.

You guys are super.

Well, i happen to think you are super too, Mat!

Its my hope the fledgling Buddhist community here, and the wider Tao Bums community, can continue unhindered to inspire one another towards greater spiritual realizations.

I agree... Seth's unselfish sharings of his spiritual journeys/evolvement often drives me towards greater motivation to practice harder! :wub:

Wouldn't it be simply brilliant if more 'new' Buddhist practitioners would come forward to offer their insights as well. There are quite a few here, but it seems there is not enough participation at the moment. I think Harmonious Emptiness, Jetsun, Ambrose, Serene B and other regulars like Xabir , Rex, Sunya, Forest, VH are all doing a fine job in offering to share their wise insights with everyone here. (i do wonder why VH has decided to lay off posting ~ hope he is well.)

Well done, everyone...

May all your aspirations bear fruit ~

May the light of compassion shine forth equanimously upon all of you.

_/\_

Edited by CowTao

Helpful posts Cow Tao.

How about your thoughts on taking refuge in the Sangha?

Does someone have to be connected to a group of Buddhists in order to fulfill this?

And either way, what would you say it means to "take refuge" in the Sangha?

Also,

I was reading The Sutra of Hui Neng today and came across this part (probably why I had this impression before..)

When we become attached to discriminated objects, our Mind-essence becomes clouded by drifting thoughts which prevent sagacity and Wisdom from sending forth their light. We were fortunate that we found learned and pious teachers to make known the orthodox Dharma to us so that we may, by our own effort do away with ignorance and delusion, and by so doing we will become enlightened both within and without, and our true nature within our Essence of Mind will manifest itself. This is precisely what happens with those who come face to face with their Essence of Mind. This is what is called the Pure Dharmakaya of Buddha.

To take refuge in the true Buddha is to take refuge in our own Essence of Mind, He who takes refuge within himself must first get rid of the evil-mind and the jealous-mind, the flattering and crooked-mind, deceit, and falsehood, and fallacious views, egotism, snobbishness, contemptuousness, arrogance, and all other evils that may arise at any time, To take refuge

p.270

within ourselves is to be always on the alert to prevent our own mistakes and to refrain from criticism of other's faults. He who is humble and patient on all occasions and is courteous to every one, has truly realised his Mind-essence, so truly in fact that his Path is free from further obstacles. This is the way to take refuge in (the Buddha of) oneself.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/bb/bb30.htm

yeah seth i can relate :)

i take refuge every morning, and make the bodhisattvas vow too.

one of the purposes it serves for me is to reinforce beginners mind. So every day is like the first day when i was like "oh gee im a buddhist, now what?"

if i got old and died and i was still asking myself "oh gee now what" i would be really happy. I hope i never delude myself into thinking that i know anything about the mystery... hahaha like those who claim to know the meaning of life or something

Helpful posts Cow Tao.

How about your thoughts on taking refuge in the Sangha?

Does someone have to be connected to a group of Buddhists in order to fulfill this?

And either way, what would you say it means to "take refuge" in the Sangha?

Technically speaking, i would say yes to the question of connection to a group who shares similar ideals in order to imbue purpose into the intention. I am sure you are well aware of the benefits in this regard, especially when starting out.

Having said that, presently i have no active involvement with any particular sangha .... back in 95 when i began intensive probing into the Dzogchen path, it led me to one, which welcomed and offered support as they would to any serious novice. Took refuge with the head Teacher of the group in 96. This lasted several good years where i actively participated in retreats, volunteered services, helped where needed, and offered regular donations when i can. It was a great learning experience, no regrets. All went well, and i made some deep connections with a few special individuals and had the merit to meet some awakened teachers whom to this day still inspires me. Over time, i became less dependent on the support, and because the centre is some 4 hours drive away, the frequency of visits lessened, but i still make it there to see old friends at least twice each year ~ its also an opportune time to soak in the special vibe of the place, kinda like recharging the old battery :D .

There are however practitioners who do not have access to a 'live' sangha, or have not found one which met their needs, or could not manage to feel belonged even after making sincere attempts to do so. Is this a hindrance to the practice? Personally, i do not think its any serious obstacle at all. A practitioner, first and foremost, takes refuge in his or her own potential for enlightenment, and then, thru practice, gradually learn to merge this potential with an awakened lineage, which begins with Buddha Shakyamuni, spreading down to a whole pantheon of Mahabodhisattvas, Arhats, Mahasiddhas and so on. It has a lot to do with what one is able to sustain with mindfulness and for how long, and less to do with outward, public displays of subservience, although when refuge in the Buddha is strong, then naturally, one becomes very open and humble to all other Buddhist practitioners and also with people in general, and sometimes, even 'enemies' can be viewed as part of of one's sangha, because they also have a strong contribution towards helping to awaken us to our pure Buddha nature.

On a deeper, more ultimate kind of level, at the heart of the practice, i would say that taking refuge is like putting an official endorsement on one's willingness to remain open to anyone or any situation which points out, reminds, or sustains one's clear and deep desire to awaken to one's Buddha essence, so in this sense, the sangha can be vast indeed.

All the best! :)

• Like 1

Well then, I certainly can't see myself making a vow and attachment to one teaching. I like to stay confused and unsure...concluding to one thing or idea is so limiting.

But yes, you would be right, if you make a promise to one thing and practice another, that is sort of cheating but you're not cheating Buddha, you're cheating yourself.

Just because you take refuge, does not mean you can't study other traditions and do thier practices. I've met people who came from different backgrounds when coming to Buddhism. Such as: Jewish, Christian, Shaivite, "kabbalists," etc. Though they do make Buddhism their "main" tradition and do carry out it's practices and teachings to realize "the view" of Buddhism.

"I take refuge in the Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha, until I reach enlightenment..."

I have been having thoughts about 'Taking Refuge' which is a fond part of my practice.

When I first started taking refuge, It was like making a dedication of commitment and/or an aspiration builder. I would repeat it over and over, to attempt to build resolve, and I like that.

Just lately though, I have been thinking about other possible levels of meaning.

To me the part that says "I take refuge in the Buddha..." means [in part] that I am taking refuge in my Buddha nature, my own awakened Mind. Then It occurred to me that there are many times when I am actually not 'Taking Refuge' in Buddha, but am actually attempting to take refuge in Illusory phenomena.

In a way, taking Refuge represents a turning away from seeking Happiness in temporary and Impermanent things that only engender more clinging/delusion and aversion.

{I cant help notice the Sutric path renunciation vibe here, but dont worry, I still enjoy things, lol}

So now I am catching myself more often, as I start to try to take Refuge {find happiness in} samsaric elements. And when I realise that is what I am doing, It is a lot easier to see the folly of these grasping actions with full knowledge that they will not lead to happiness, and so I can just let it go.

I wonder how many other layers of depth this simple practice may have? Any Ideas?

Peace. Seth. :wub:

I think you would find this article interesting My link. It's by Dudjom Rinpoche. I've changed some words to make it easier to read, since most people are unfamiliar with Tibetan:

"Let us now look at Refuge. At the external level there are what are called the Kön-chog Sum : Sang-gyé, chö and gendün [buddha, dharma and sangha]. Buddha is the source of Dharma. Those whose minds are turned towards Dharma are Sangha.

Because we exist in duality we experience delusory dissatisfaction. Because of this, we take Refuge in order to be freed from the experience of self-generated dissatisfaction. Due to misapprehending our true nature [because of the delusory appearances that arise when the various elements coalesce in accordance with patterns of dualistic confusion] this human body becomes the container of endless dualistic projections. It becomes a source of attachment, in terms of supplying delusory definitions of existence. This attachment remains very strong until you see the true nature of existence. Until you are completely freed from the delusion that your body validates your existence, dissatisfaction will continually color your experience. Because of this, Kön-chog Sum exist as a focus of Refuge.

So, externally speaking, one should take Refuge in Buddha, Dharma and Sangha with devotion. But internally, Buddha, Dharma and Sangha are symbolic. They are a profound and skilful way to lead us out of this self-created illusory samsara.

From the Dzogchen point of view, Buddha, Dharma and Sangha are within us. On the absolute level, this mind of ours, which is empty of all referential co-ordinates, is in itself Buddha [rigpa -- radiant self-luminosity]. Externally, Dharma manifests as sound and meaning: You hear it and you practice it. But from an internal point of view, Dharma is empty. In essence, it is the unceasing, unobstructed, self-luminous display of rigpa -- primordial Mind. Externally, Sangha comprises those whose minds turn towards the Dharma. But internally, Sangha is the all-pervading, all-encompassing aspect of Mind.

They are all fully accomplished within us. However, since we do not recognize this, we need to take Refuge in the external Buddha, Dharma and Sangha. When you really practice tantric ngöndro properly you visualize Padmasambhava with fervent devotion; you perform prostrations in humility with your body; and you recite the Refuge formula with your speech. Then, when you sit silently at the end of your practice [and dissolve the visualization into yourself] you realize that all these three things -- subject, object and activity -- are none other than rigpa! The meditation is oneself; Padmasambhava is one's own creation. Just remain in the nature of rigpa. Other than rigpa, there is nothing to find!

Shakyamuni Buddha said in the Do-de Kalpa Zangpo, 'I manifested in a dreamlike way to dreamlike beings and gave a dreamlike dharma, but in reality I never taught and never actually came'. From the viewpoint of Shakyamuni Buddha never having come and the dharma never having been given, all is mere perception, existing only in the apparent sphere of suchness.

As regards the practice of Refuge, the relative aspect is the object of Refuge to which you offer devotion and prostrations and so on. The absolute aspect is without effort. When you dissolve the visualization and remain in the natural effortless state of mind, the concept of Refuge no longer exists.

The generation of chang-chub-sem [bodhicitta] or enlightened thought means that if we just act for ourselves alone we are not following the path of Dharma and our enlightenment is blocked. It is of the utmost importance that we generate enlightened thought in order to free all beings from samsara. Beings are as limitless as the sky. They have all been our fathers and mothers. They have all suffered in this samsara that we all fabricate from the ground of being. So the thought of freeing them from this suffering really is very powerful. Without this, we have the deluded concept that we are separate from all sentient beings."

Edited by Simple_Jack