Sign in to follow this  
Understanding

Is Thought separate from the Senses?

So ive been thinking, and ive sort of divided my entire being into little basic pieces, akin to the way everything is broken up into atoms and pixels. You can say that we have 10 senses. 5 inner and 5 outer. they are really only 5 but one comes from the outside and one from the inside. However we can control the ones coming from the outside just as the ones from the inside and make it so that they cause us more happiness and energy.

I was arguing with my brother the other day, he says that all he experiences is thoughts and emotions, and i keep telling him that what thoughts and emotions are really made of are complex patterns and equations of senses, just your 5 senses.

I mean try and think about it. Have you ever had a thought that didnt have an image or sound or sensation spontaneously attachted to it?

Can you even think in your head without saying words?

And if you can, can you keep those thoughts devoid of images as well?

And if you can, can you seperate those thoughts from sensations in your body?

I pretty much beleive that your senses are just an incarnation of your concoiusness.

But ive become usure latley if there is a 6th sense or not. the sense of thought.

Heres a little test.

Wait for a minute and let your mind go to void.

Without changing decide to love yourself. This is a thought, but not like the normal kind, it is spontaneous, a liquid product of void.

Or is it?

Is it just another result of the senses? Is there a way to tell?

I am kind of torn on which one to believe.

• Like 1

I am kind of torn on which one to believe.

Well, don't get torn too much. You might not be able to put yourself back together again.

However, Yes, there are the five senses. And then there is the mind. Of course, it is the brain that recognizes the sensations from the five senses.

I could agree with you regarding five outer senses and five inner senses within limitations. The five outer are physically real, the five inner may be extremely distorted so that they (the sensations) appear to be something other than what they really were.

I mean try and think about it. Have you ever had a thought that didnt have an image or sound or sensation spontaneously attachted to it?

Can you even think in your head without saying words?

And if you can, can you keep those thoughts devoid of images as well?

This to me is very true. Not only images but smells.

Because, perhaps, our minds are hard-wired to our senses,

there can be no distancing ourselves from this sensory input?

Just as a person who has had a limb amputated, and can still feel

the limb, that is no longer present....maybe so true if we could

separate our minds from our bodies, the senses would still linger

within our minds as a reality that is no longer present?

When a complete upload of a persons mind becomes possible into a machine,

maybe then this idea of thought and senses being separate will be better answered.

Perhaps we would need to come into this reality devoid of any senses at all

in order to be purely "thought" beings.

Very interesting question!

Sorry to ruin the party but there are more then 5 senses to begin with and reading with having a sound or a picture associated with it is learned as a child and can be skipped to increase reading speed

14 to 20

@Sinfest; is your display picture a nekomata?

@Understanding

Hey Understanding - that actually sounds nice.

What does it means to understand?

What does it means to feel?

Do you feel first or understand first?

Edited by XieJia

Sorry to ruin the party but there are more then 5 senses to begin with and reading with having a sound or a picture associated with it is learned as a child and can be skipped to increase reading speed

14 to 20

um nope last time i checked there are only 5. however you do make senses in that there are senses within senses, so in a way, we can have just one sense, or maybe infinite senses.

• Like 1

um nope last time i checked there are only 5. however you do make senses in that there are senses within senses, so in a way, we can have just one sense, or maybe infinite senses.

I agree. There can be said to be just one "whole" of everything.

The process of breaking things down into smaller and smaller pieces

does not belie the fact that they are united into the original "one".

Back to the original question. If cognitive, and or unconscious thought, is

based on all of the constant input from our our senses, then I see no separation.

If one were able to separate the mind from the senses...would the mind still

have the ability to create thoughts without any sensory input?

I doubt it.

Back to the original question. If cognitive, and or unconscious thought, is

based on all of the constant input from our our senses, then I see no separation.

If one were able to separate the mind from the senses...would the mind still

have the ability to create thoughts without any sensory input?

I doubt it.

If the senses were lost before birth then there wont be anything but if it's later in life then there will be some stuff about the world floating around

I also have a theory that since the basic natural design is the same then there will be some thoughts associated with it and a whole new imaginary world will be created

TAIJI!!!!

Sign in to follow this