Informer

Favorite Quotes from Buddha.

Things allowed by Dao are possible, that which isnt , isnt .

the word 'anything' is a little broad

but the sentiment being expressed was wanted to convey enthusiasm at possibility

rather than a railroad of fate.

Please give each other a break.

• Like 3

S.W.,

I think the quote can easily be seen to imply meanings about Buddha's since such teachings - per the words "greater" and "foundational vehicle" found in said quote are given by them, (including the wonderful sayings from Zen where the teachers also prepare or maintain an "opportunity" or "gap" to foster their students sudden realization), there are also the words of, "fundamental presence" which per context can also point to the compassionate and thus freeing action of a Buddha's presence or influence -which obviously does not point to just "anything" happening in such a dharmic presence.   

Btw. S.W. I don't know what kind of Buddhist you fancy yourself to be but you sound more "blatant" than most.

Edited by 3bob

concerning #68: the explanation is nice but half-baked or incomplete - for if "anything could happen" then that would include horrific, non-dharmic violence whereas the Buddhist teachings speak of the over-coming and mastery of such in the vicinity and luminosity of a true Buddha...  

I find that quote very "useful" as it points to an aspect of emptiness that is often lost/forgotten. People tend to focus on the "nothingness" aspect and forget the "infinite potential" aspect. The true meaning of the Heart Sutra is often lost. And in Dzogchen, they add the concept of "clarity" for that potential concept to emptiness to attempt to address the issue.

Emptiness is more the infinite potential of void/nothingness.

• Like 2

Point taken. I'm not trying to be any sort of Buddhist, rather a more 'skilful' version of myself.

I will avoid such prickliness in future, though as CT said sometimes your comments can seem bizarre - as though you are strawmanning for the sake of it. Next time I will just tell myself that you simply read things differently, and go on my merry way.

"Better than a thousand useless words is one useful word, hearing which one attains peace."

• Like 2

if a quote has gapping holes in it there is nothing bizarre about pointing them out per most rational standards... where as glossing over things without any critical thinking (which btw is not something suggested in most wisdom teachings) tends to be much more problematic. 

Have you considered investigating if the source of the what you call 'gaping hole' has been misplaced? If there's something you dont quite get in any particular quote, please be mindful enough to ask if someone can help to clarify in a way that would make the quote more appeasing to your eyes and intellect, rather than your current practice, which is often this tendency to point out subjective flaws in an otherwise neutral string of words uttered for the benefit of those who actually grasp the meaning enough to reflect on that, rather than read more into it than necessary. 

Moreover, this particular thread is not meant for discussion. Unlike your repeatedly less-than-welcoming attitude towards Buddhists in the Hindu forum, you're very welcome to open a thread in the Buddhist forum should you have anything substantial to clarify or discuss. 

Please don't turn this thread into another this vs that thing. 

Thank you. 

I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was wandering among the Mallans, together with a large community of monks, and came to a brahman village of the Mallans named Thūna. The brahman householders of Thūna heard that "Gotama the Sakyan contemplative, gone forth from the Sakyan clan, is wandering among the Mallans together with a large community of monks, and has arrived at Thūna." So they filled the well all the way to the brim with grass & chaff, [thinking], "Don't let these shaven-headed contemplatives draw drinking water."

Then the Blessed One, going down from the road, went to a certain tree, and on arrival sat down on a seat laid out. Seated, he said to Ven. Ānanda: "Please, Ānanda, fetch me some drinking water from that well."

When this was said, Ven. Ānanda replied, "Just now, lord, the brahman householders of Thūna filled that well all the way to the brim with grass & chaff, [thinking], 'Don't let these shaven-headed contemplatives draw drinking water.'"

A second time, the Blessed One said to Ven. Ānanda: "Please, Ānanda, fetch me some drinking water from that well."

A second time, Ven. Ānanda replied, "Just now, lord, the brahman householders of Thūna filled that well all the way to the brim with grass & chaff, [thinking], 'Don't let these shaven-headed contemplatives draw drinking water.'"

A third time, the Blessed One said to Ven. Ānanda: "Please, Ānanda, fetch me some drinking water from that well."

Responding, "As you say, lord," to the Blessed One, Ven. Ānanda — taking a bowl — went to the well. As he was approaching the well, it expelled all the grass & chaff from its mouth and stood filled to the brim — streaming, as it were — with pristine water, undisturbed & clear. The thought occurred to him, "How amazing! How astounding! — the great power & great might of the Tathāgata! — in that, while I was approaching the well, it expelled all the grass & chaff from its mouth and stood filled to the brim — streaming, as it were — with pristine water, undisturbed & clear."

Taking drinking water in his bowl, he went to the Blessed One and on arrival said, "How amazing, lord! How astounding! — the great power & great might of the Tathāgata! — in that, while I was approaching the well, it expelled all the grass & chaff from its mouth and stood filled to the brim — streaming, as it were — with pristine water, undisturbed & clear. Drink the water, O Blessed One! Drink the water, O One-Well-Gone!"

Then, on realizing the significance of that, the Blessed One on that occasion exclaimed:

What need for a well if there were waters always? Having cut craving by the root, one would go about searching for what?
  • Like 2

To be aware of a single shortcoming within oneself is more useful than to be aware of a thousand

in somebody else. Rather than speaking badly about people and in ways that will produce friction

and unrest in their lives, we should practice a purer perception of them, and when we speak of 

others, speak of their good qualities. 

If you find yourself slandering anybody, first imagine that your mouth is filled with excrement. 

This will break you of the habit quickly enough. 

~ HH The Dalai Lama

• Like 4

One bean on my plate is better than a thousand beans on anyone elses screw them. Same dynamic right, so why wouldnt disclosure be an act of generosity as well?

Edited by Stosh

What outcome? One has retreated in both. The undescribed outcome is determined by the receiver, I take advice or eat the shared bean. Thats not excrement unless my words were excrement.

Nah too cryptic , rephrasing...

Edited by Stosh

Here , folks extend themselves with well meant advice etc. Most falls to the ground. Im thinking this is what makes waste of beans.

Is he not telling me about my harsh words? Is this not a correction of me?

Edited by Stosh

Here , folks extend themselves with well meant advice etc. Most falls to the ground. Im thinking this is what makes waste of beans.

Is he not telling me about my harsh words? Is this not a correction of me?

I dont think he is telling you anything you did not already know, so in that sense, its not advice per se. 

So I may criticize , as long as the person its aimed at , knows about his fault already? 

So I may criticize , as long as the person its aimed at , knows about his fault already? 

advice and criticism are two different things. 

Yes they are, advice, implies a directive , often indicated by the word should. 

Criticism in vernacular implies a negative thing which , should be corrected if possible. 

But its not really the direct answer, IMO HHDL is giving advice and it is critical of one being critical. 

You know more of this lore than I do but I was under the impression that Buddha , was sometimes critical of other groups and persons at times. Was he not?

While I understand from a practical point of view, I can serve my own aims perhaps by not saying some things,,

HHDL appears to be suggesting I should use that as reason for my actions,it implies I am not motivated by concern for others.

It makes no concession that I can see, for telling folks what they need to hear, though they might not like it. 

Though he does so himself , does he not?

I see no logical requirement for me to place on him a burden of perfection, but ,, if this is advice he gives.. his imperfection, undermines it. 

Has he not railed against injustices etc,?

To tie my hands in discussion and hold me to the higher standard ,, doesnt sit right.

If I do take exception to what he has said, is he not wrong? 

Edited by Stosh

If I do take exception to what he has said, is he not wrong? 

Dont mean to be curt, but if that is a question requiring input, then i'd say his stance is neither right nor wrong, so why was it necessary to even consider taking exception while pondering over words which may not even hold meaning for you? 

I've given you an opportunity to teach , rather than just post words. 

Buddha has been said to have desired none to portray his image , and that was honored for a century or so,,if thats true   was that respect? or was it respect to do it anyway? 

If Buddha told me that I should take no ones word for things of a spiritual nature  unless I too could see the truth of it , would it be respect to challenge HHDL's statement or to just accept it? 

Im not just saying these things for theoretical value. Im really posing them. 

Edited by Stosh

I've given you an opportunity to teach , rather than just post words. 

Buddha has been said to have desired none to portray his image , and that was honored for a century or so,,if thats true   was that respect? or was it respect to do it anyway? 

If Buddha told me that I should take no ones word for things of a spiritual nature  unless I too could see the truth of it , would it be respect to challenge HHDL's statement or to just accept it? 

Im not just saying these things for theoretical value. Im really posing them. 

Thank you for the opportunity, though i wouldn't be so bold as to assume anyone here need to be taught. Nor the clippings of quotes from various Buddhist sources intended for such a purpose. The reason(s) they are posted here are primarily to place them somewhere convenient so i can re-read them occasionally without hassle, and also to share them with others who may happen to derive some inspirational reminders from them. 

With regards to the supposition around what the Buddha might have told you, sorry but i really don't know how to answer the question, although it must be said that questioning what others say, and reflecting the words and meanings is generally a good habit to have or to develop. After all the Buddha discouraged anyone from accepting anything blindly, and furthermore, He also said that doubt can be very beneficial for the serious enquirer. 

That question about the Buddha discouraging His followers from portraying his image, well, i'm not sure i quite understand the premise nor have i ever read about this anywhere. Perhaps you could help me by pointing me where i can read more about this. Sounds interesting. 

Sincere appreciation for the input, although it would be more appropriate, should you want further dialogue, to maybe do it via pm or start a new thread because this one is quite specifically meant for Buddhist quotes. 

All the best  :)

“The practice of putting others in the center is not simply a crusade to do “good.” It is a practice based on the understanding that our own happiness is inextricably linked with the happiness of others.”

~ Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche

There are, strictly speaking, no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity.

~ Shunryu Suzuki

• Like 1

"When the mind is at peace

the world too is at peace.

Nothing real, nothing absent.

Not holding on to reality

not getting stuck in the void.

You are neither holy nor wise

just an ordinary fellow

who has completed his work."

~ P'ang Yun, (740-808) Chan Buddhist 

• Like 3