Empty Cloud

Rooting

Very good. It is nice to bring out the good points into the open. By lowering the enter of gravity, do you mean have the upper thighs bend 90 degrees with the vertical or parallel to the ground....???

If one can bend the legs 90 degrees and standstill to withstand any external pushing, then he is a grandmaster.

Edited by ChiDragon

Rooting?

How much like grounding is this?

See y'all next week... in about 10 minutes... :lol:

P.S. from what i gathered, this is like an extended grounding to add visualizing 'energic roots' protruding downward through the world into the earth and sharing your energies.

Very good. It is nice to bring out the good points into the open. By lowering the enter of gravity, do you mean have the upper thighs bend 90 degrees with the vertical or parallel to the ground....???

If one can bend the legs 90 degrees and standstill to withstand any external pushing, then he is a grandmaster.

Go lower than the person who is trying to uproot you and you will be able to uproot them.

Your center of gravity will be lower than theirs.

Pretty much if it's a straight up pushing contest between 2 people same body type. But lots of variation since we are living moving beings. Depends on vectors of force too. Low center of gravity can give advantage as Mythmaker stated, you need good leg strength to lower set and push out of that low position though. Also a tall person can still win without going lower. I can shift within my root more than a shorter person even if I can't get lower. If I can shift so they have to start to extend themself to step then it becomes easy to help them keep on going.

Also being able to sense where the other person is tense

and knowing their center.

And hiding yours. :)

People who didn't get top notch taiji can't root, generally. People who got a few years of top notch taiji root rather obviously. People who got a few decades of top notch taiji... sheesh. Their center is everywhere and nowhere. You can't see it, you can't feel it. There's an impenetrable wall of emptiness and you push against that and all you can feel is mighty stupid. :angry:

I notice that whatever the practice, even just standing or walking outdoors, there seems to be a more energising and grounding(?) effect when done barefoot. It seems to allow the earth energy to enter through the feet. An old man told me that prior to shoes having rubber soles, the majority of shoes had leather soles which allowed the energy to come through into the feet. But the energy can't pass through rubber. So many people are disconnected to the earth because of this.

Does anyone else have experience of the effeects of barefoot connection with the earth?

I notice that whatever the practice, even just standing or walking outdoors, there seems to be a more energising and grounding(?) effect when done barefoot. It seems to allow the earth energy to enter through the feet. An old man told me that prior to shoes having rubber soles, the majority of shoes had leather soles which allowed the energy to come through into the feet. But the energy can't pass through rubber. So many people are disconnected to the earth because of this.

Does anyone else have experience of the effeects of barefoot connection with the earth?

Yes! Standing outdoors is nothing compared to standing indoors. Standing barefoot outdoors is nothing compared to standing outdoors. The energizing and soothing effects are impressive.

There is a movement called "earthing" that tries to promote being in contact with the earth as a way of healing, but it is also selling things:(

IMHO Thich Nhat Hanh practices of "touching the earth" (found also in the many religious practices of prosternations be they buddhist, christian or whatever) already dig this connection.

Edited by bubbles

Yes! Standing outdoors is nothing compared to standing indoors. Standing barefoot outdoors is nothing compared to standing outdoors. The energizing and soothing effects are impressive.

There is a movement called "earthing" that tries to promote being in contact with the earth as a way of healing, but it is also selling things:(

IMHO Thich Nhat Hanh practices of "touching the earth" (found also in the many religious practices of prosternations be they buddhist, christian or whatever) already dig this connection.

Nice Bubbles thanks, I'll look up 'touching the earth'

That reminds me, last time I practiced outdoors barefoot it was really amazing. Feeling the earth under my meet was multidimensional in a way. There was the physical sensation of the grass touching my skin, and the more dense feeling of earth under that. But there was also the sense of the 'support' that the earth provides always. The support of holding my feet, like 'I gottcha' .....and by extention, that feeling was nurturing, like when you're a baby and someone (like your mother) holds you in their arms.

So with that sense of support came this feeling of gratitude towards the earth, not only for giving me somewhere to stand, but for providing somewhere for food to grow and water to flow.

Also, by regarding the earth that way, it seems that it's one way of having/developing empathy for others - people, animals, any creatures because our dependency on the earth and the support we derive from it is another example of our inter-relatedness and commonality.

I could not saying it better than you.

Each year, I take my summer vacations in a place where I walk barefoot during 3 weeks (firts time I did it, I was a teen and it was a bet between friends, what an amazing discovery !, but I understood it only after I got into Buddhism and now Daoism) After a few days, it's like I am born again, it is exactly like you describe it!

Thanks to you. :)

I must leave and go to work..

Edited by bubbles

People who didn't get top notch taiji can't root, generally. People who got a few years of top notch taiji root rather obviously. People who got a few decades of top notch taiji... sheesh. Their center is everywhere and nowhere. You can't see it, you can't feel it. There's an impenetrable wall of emptiness and you push against that and all you can feel is mighty stupid. :angry:

Yes that elusive wall of emptiness - can be like falling down the rabbit hole :)

I love wearing shoes with leather soles (Italian shoemakers must have retained the knowledge of how to make a comfortable shoe since the time Roman legions marched and conquered the world :lol: ), but I don't have any practice shoes like that, though you just gave me an idea to convert a pair of flats with leather soles into practice shoes, I think it's doable (would need to attach ribbons like on ballet shoes, otherwise they will fly off the foot when a kick comes up.) I absolutely agree about energy felt and exchanged with the earth with bare feet much better too.

I practice walking qigong (which I learned from Master Wang Liping) on the beach (of which we have miles and miles in straight walkable stretches), barefoot, wading forth on the edge of the water, with ocean waves washing in and out of my path. This can get rather psychedelic. The other day, after an hour of walking-breathing-wading, the waves turned into a herd of wild water-dragon-horses running at me in all their exuberance and strength. I'll try to keep it up till the ocean gets prohibitively cold.

Interesting....

I walk barefoot as much as possible. Usually this is while doing kung fu but not for Tai Chi as I practice on cement and need to spin without ripping open cracks on my heals. If my feel are not cracked I will practice on grass barefoot really enjoyable.

But usually vibrams, rubber, walking in them is only slightly disconnected. So in a nice park, barefoot is better, but walking footpaths when the terrain changes rapidly, depending on what sort of garden people have, vibrams are a better feel, unless you can go REALLY slowly and carefully.

My vollies are rubber and I've started taking them off at work when practicing standing.

Anyone know of a cheap plain looking leather "Moccasin"

Edited by Mal Stainkey

Hello Mal,

Don't have a clue about what you are exactly looking for but I found this:

My link

Have a look at the sandals or perhaps the medieval shoes

does it help? :)

Edited by bubbles

I'll try to keep it up till the ocean gets prohibitively cold.

Ah, barefot at the beach - unbeatable. But yeah, when it gets cold (like it does down here too)......bbbrrrrrrr

Hello Mal,

Don't have a clue about what you are exactly looking for but I found this:

My link

Have a look at the sandals or perhaps the medieval shoes

does it help? :)

Oh yes, aussie link and just look at those medieval shoes

medi-shoe1.jpg

saxon_shoes.jpg

not to mention that my partner would LOVE these Russian Steppe boots russian_steppe_boots.jpg

and they have "These shoes are made from solid cowhide with felt insoles and thin rubber wear soles for grip & durability. Leather soles are available as an option." :D

Also like the look of these 2745-p-DETAILED.jpg the top stitching is not my favorite style (compared to the medieval shoes)but it's a big, seamless, piece of leather

People who didn't get top notch taiji can't root, generally. People who got a few years of top notch taiji root rather obviously. People who got a few decades of top notch taiji... sheesh.

Their center is everywhere and nowhere. You can't see it, you can't feel it. There's an impenetrable wall of emptiness and you push against that and all you can feel is mighty stupid. :angry:

Their center is everywhere and nowhere...???

You can't see it, you can't feel it...???

Have you ever heard of listen to the Jin of your counterpart like 聽勁(ting1 jin4)...???

Edited by ChiDragon

Have you ever heard of listen to the Jin of your counterpart like 聽勁(ting1 jin4)...???

Yes. And when there is a huge difference in skill level (e.g. myself and sifu) you can't "hear" anything. Either nothing to listen to :D or it's just so quite my "ears" have not learnt how to to "hear" it yet ;)

but yea usually it's "one touch and all is known"

Edited by Mal Stainkey

Yes. And when there is a huge difference in skill level (e.g. myself and sifu) you can't "hear" anything. Either nothing to listen to :D or it's just so quite my "ears" have not learnt how to to "hear" it yet ;)

but yea usually it's "one touch and all is known"

"one touch and all is known" which is "listening to the Jin, 聽勁(ting1 jin4)" by feeling the the Jin of the others.

PS...

I don't know why the Chinese call it that(聽勁,ting1 jin4)...!!!

Their center is everywhere and nowhere...???

You can't see it, you can't feel it...???

Have you ever pushed hands with a 300 lb guy who's been doing taiji for 40 years, whose teacher is reputed in parts of East Asia to be an immortal?

I have, and that's the experience I was referring to. What experience are you referring to? Please share. And I do mean please share your experience, not a dictionary entry.

Hope I am not interfiering this interesting taiji converstaion too much .I have just reading a barefooft(I love being barefoot :wub: ) bit and have this powerfull urge to share a revelation I have discovered 2 years ago shoewise.

vivo barefoot

http://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk/ and some of these shoes are connected store

Terra Plana

http://www.terraplana.com/uk/

A HEAVEN for feet and I work on my feet so I know what I am talking about. The way those soles are ingenireed is amazing, they kiss your feet. And the shoes are stylish too.

Edited by suninmyeyes

1. Have you ever pushed hands with a 300 lb guy who's been doing taiji for 40 years, whose teacher is reputed in parts of East Asia to be an immortal?

2. I have, and that's the experience I was referring to. What experience are you referring to? Please share. And I do mean please share your experience, not a dictionary entry.

oops...sorry. My line of questioning had started something else again, shamed on me....:(

1. A 300 lb guy has no problem to push anybody away without the push hands practice, is it there...???

To be fair and reasonable, one would push hands with someone in equal weights or within the close proximity. At high level competition, the highly cultivated practitioners do not have to put the opponent onto the ground to prevail. Indeed, they can simple have their hands touching and standing still just by feeling the Jin of each other to determine who has more strength; then they backed off with a smile in their faces. In fact, only they knew who the winner was.

2. A person has to have a center in order to stay in balance. A center was called the centroid or the center of gravity of an object. All matter has a centroid. Otherwise, if you would like to speak in a spiritual world, then you can ignore the centroid if you like.

PS...

Anyways, without any dictionary entry, then there is nothing that was existed to be talked about.

To be fair and reasonable, one would push hands with someone in equal weights or within the close proximity. At high level competition, the highly

no the opponents weight does not matter Iknoa the classic sayings Touch a student and I can feel exactly what they do touch my sifu and I have NO idea It is like that with your teacher too, yes?