zanshin

Voice improvement

Anyone know any practices, techniques or suggestions to speak more clearly and make the voice sound better?

I had speech therapy as a child, mostly for articulation problems. I'm fine in controlled situations. If there's a lot going on in the background or have to respond quickly, articulation gets worse, I stammer and clutter. Hard to explain, seems like my brain and my mouth get a little off sync. I don't become completely incoherent, but I don't like it. I feel I give an impression that I am a little more of a blithering idiot than I actually am due to not expressing myself clearly.

Edited by zanshin

I've been in your shoes. Whats helped me was joining a writing class, where you write then you have to read. Its a bit like impov. There is also Toastmasters which has clubs everywhere. You'll be scared and get the sweats, but you'll desensitize yourself and get better by doing. Or join an Improv class. Leave your comfort zone.

Getting past the fear is most of the battle.

• Like 2

I am similar in that I have a problem with strong expression and stuttering, there are some good techniques in the film "The Kings Speech" ;)

But apart from that I am trying to work through as much tension in my face, neck and jaw as possible to free up my muscles around that area which I hope will free up my expression

Edited by Jetsun

Jetsun, you're fabulous, time to go run 10 miles and then lay around and watch a movie, so that will be the one. I wanted to see it anyway, impeccable timing to remind me.

Lerner, thank you too. Not so much fear, that's my problem more of a technical issue. I done a little teaching and run seminars, and not too bad if I have notes and time to think through what to say. Improv class might be a good idea and fun, I have a friend who is into amateur theater, will ask her if she knows a group.

I also have, oh what do you call it- word finding problems :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I feel the best thing you can do is practice talking in a calm voice.

If someone is talking really fast, slow down eeeevvvveeennn mmmmmoooooorrrrreeee.

Talking calmly and delibrately without care to how long it takes is a great way to empower yourself and calm agitated people down.

Dont talk like yurtle the turtle. Breathe calmly and if you are talking the right speed you dont feel like you have to catch your breath.

If you say whats that word....? The other person will try to help you find it. Dont do that.

Try to plan out what you are going to say in advance that way you don't get stuck.

Edited by Ambrose_Bierce

Anyone know any practices, techniques or suggestions to speak more clearly and make the voice sound better?

I had speech therapy as a child, mostly for articulation problems. I'm fine in controlled situations. If there's a lot going on in the background or have to respond quickly, articulation gets worse, I stammer and clutter. Hard to explain, seems like my brain and my mouth get a little off sync. I don't become completely incoherent, but I don't like it. I feel I give an impression that I am a little more of a blithering idiot than I actually am due to not expressing myself clearly.

Can you please describe your breathing condition...??? It happened to me if I don't breathe correctly I can't talk smoothly. I had corrected this problem with Tai Ji. BTW Chi Kung will do the job too.

Thanks, Ambrose, those are good. I've had self defense teachers mention speaking slower and softer as way to calm agitated people down, so will try to apply when people talking fast or more than one at once. Breathe, slow down, instead of feeling like I have to reply at once. My brain gives me lots of stuff to say, probably too much, then my mouth hacks up the delivery

ChiDragon, thanks, I do taiji and qigong. I think I breathe pretty efficiently. Can run for miles, used to play an instrument. I probably do chest breathe more when stressed. I have noticed my voice can sound a little nasally on recordings too.