Sign in to follow this  
iamtheare

Ah, another Qigong thread!

Okay, I'm sure there is a thread like this floating around somewhere but I really would like to hear your suggestions on what kind of Qigong material I would need as a beginner!?

I'm sure a DVD and a book would ensue for now and I know I could do my own research but I trust you guys more than I would trust a 100 reviews.

Mind you, my budget is tight >_<

(And yes, there are plenty of schools here to learn at but that too costs a pretty penny and I would much rather have a DVD I can use to learn at my own pace and perfect over a course of months before I have the money to take classes.)

Edited by iamtheare

Let me insist a little- I promise I won't do it again :)- I don't want to bother at all :

The exercises called zhan zhuang that I pointed out to you in the _Lower_ thread work specifically to restore/build jing ( work to restore your adrenals health) in a safe and proper way without needing too much a supervision provided you mind your knees (don't let them go farther than your toes) and your lumbar region (you should erase the lumbar curve)and follow the guidelines given in the book and the videos I mentioned. You can go for YMAA Eight Simple Qigong Exercises for Health if you want (they are good) but a version of them are included in the Lam Kam Chuen book. After some months or perhaps weeks of practice of zhan zhuang, you will see for yourself that this system is a treasure.

edited for spelling

Edited by bubbles

Okay, I'm sure there is a thread like this floating around somewhere but I really would like to hear your suggestions on what kind of Qigong material I would need as a beginner!?

I'm sure a DVD and a book would ensue for now and I know I could do my own research but I trust you guys more than I would trust a 100

There's quite a lot of free stuff floating around the internet. For example, like many here I started with the Healing Tao system. I particularly liked Michael Winn's take on it. So; you can download his free ebook on Inner Smile from healingtaousa.com and read some of his essays in the article section there. You can see his various forms on Youtube, just search his name in. From Itunes you can look him up and find interviews of him on podcasts.

Its may be similar with many established people. I like Daniel Reids books on Taoism, they contain a wide variety of information. A library could have them or have a way to get them from another library. More and more books are being sold for a buck plus shipping on Amazon. You can surf books there and find some bargains. I'm sure we have a topic on best books in our Reading Discussion as well as other places.

Keeping it simple. a book like The Way Of Energy by Lam, is a great foundation for Zhan Zhang(standing) meditation. Online courses can take you quite a way. Some people here swear by AYP, I think its a free indepth course on esoteric yoga.

Bang for buck, KAP, an online Skype class is an excellent way to learn an esoteric energy system. About $300ish, but you get to access to an experienced teacher and group, through skype so make sure you have a solid internet connection. Or get the book 'Pathnotes of An American Ninja Master' horrible title, very good book on esoteric energy meditation.

Good luck on learning Qigong from a book :D It's a good place to begin from but bear in mind that you'll have to work hard (like working out how to get from one 'move' to the next) and the results you get will be less than learning from a teacher, but considerably cheaper.

The problem with books is that they are static. Once they're published the information in them is 'frozen' in time.

You can easily learn Qigong form from a DVD. Which might not be a bad place to start. Qigong form isn't without benefit. Those benefits being similar to gentle exercise in my opinion. You might then decide to make a bigger investment in your Qigong training.

Skype is an interesting option for sure. It 'aces' book and DVD learning in that the teacher can see what you are doing in real time and make suitable adjustments so you can get better results. Plus if you have any questions about your practice - you can ask them, again in real time.

Personally, and it is just my opinion. If you want to learn Qigong the best way is to learn directly from a Qigong master or suitably qualified Qigong teacher. These are few and far between and yes they are usually (but not always) expensive.

Remember that Qigong is a composite of form, energy and mind. You can see the Form and it's easy to learn it by copying. But you can't see the Energy and Mind aspects. That's why learning them from an in the flesh Qigong teacher is the best.

I believe you usually get what you pay for.

Though having said that, I know of a 21 day free Qigong course - delivered via e-mail. But I won't put the details here, as it's mine and I don't want to be seen to be 'pimping' it on this thread :D

If you're interested PM me and I'll provide you with the link.

Kindest regards

Marcus

• Like 1

Hello Marcus,

As you are reluctant to be classified as an aggressive marketer or spammer, let me do it for you :D :D :D

My link

Marcus is a former student of GM Wong Kiew Kit ! We need more people like you here, welcome!

Edited by bubbles
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this