I'm not sure if these are specifically Vedanta mantras but I found a fascinating page listing many mantras and the qualities and/or blessings they're said to invoke.

I found it because I'm considering buying some prayer beads to help me keep track of how many repetitions I do of the Shurangama Mantra. But these other mantras look interesting too.

I'm not sure if these are specifically Vedanta mantras but I found a fascinating page listing many mantras and the qualities and/or blessings they're said to invoke.

I found it because I'm considering buying some prayer beads to help me keep track of how many repetitions I do of the Shurangama Mantra. But these other mantras look interesting too.

Its important to know the difference between a vakya/statement, a shloka/verse and a mantra. Five is right, a lot of the mantras in the list have seed mantras and are tantric in nature.

Aham brHmasmi is a vakya and not. Mantra.

A typical vedic mantra is the gayatri mantra. A good book to start off on mantra practice is that by swAmi vishnudevananda titled mantra meditation.

That is a cool list. Thanks for the link...

As I browsed the page I saw that a couple of those mantras listed on that site are powerful tantric Shakti mantras that should be used with caution if someone is not familiar with it. Based on some of my recent experiences with mantra shakti, I have come to the conclusion that unless one has had their vedic astrology chart analyzed by a qualified astrologer who can prescribe mantras, (at least in regard to esoteric vedic and hindu mantras) I strongly recommend sticking with the "all purpose mantras" Like Gayatri, Maha mrityunjaya, Om, Om namah shivaya, Om Shri ganeshaya namah etc...

yeah i agree. that site had a mantra to kali on there.. that is dangerous powerful stuff. "we recommend this mala, it doesnt have 108 beads its just a silk with a knot in it." ???

nutty

anyway, i have been told the same thing, stick to all purpose mantras unless instructed by a qualified person. just wanted to chime in.

my favorite mantra is

Om Prithividhatu Bhumideviya

its the earth mantra of an elemental set i say it means roughly

"hail to the dirt, it is the living planetary diety"

Is there a mantra one can chant that is

A) safe at all times

B ) helps one overcome obstacles and hinderances

If so...is there a YouTube vid demonstrating correct pronunciation/intonation, etc?

A good book to start off on mantra practice is that by swAmi vishnudevananda titled mantra meditation.

Dwai....

I looked up the book you recommended. The lone Amazon reviewer gave it only 3 out of 5 stars.

Here's a link to his review. Is it still worth getting this book or is there another one that would be better for a beginner?

A) safe at all times

If so...is there a YouTube vid demonstrating correct pronunciation/intonation, etc?

I don't have experience with it, but Tibetans use Vajrasattva for this.

yeah i agree. that site had a mantra to kali on there.. that is dangerous powerful stuff. "we recommend this mala, it doesnt have 108 beads its just a silk with a knot in it." ???

nutty

anyway, i have been told the same thing, stick to all purpose mantras unless instructed by a qualified person. just wanted to chime in.

my favorite mantra is

Om Prithividhatu Bhumideviya

its the earth mantra of an elemental set i say it means roughly

"hail to the dirt, it is the living planetary diety"

Cool Mantra :)

But I think Kali gets an unfair wrap. Kali Mantra's are some of my all time Favourites, and as long as one does them in a spirit of genuine Love for Kali, then no harm would come.

It feels so good to be back home - In the Tantric tradition, ahh :):wub: :wub:

• Like 2

All proper mantras have protective powers. Some will resonate with you more than others... find one that 'speaks' or moves you internally in an almost emotional manner - believe in, and use your own intuitive feeling in the process of determining which one 'suits' you, not depending so much on what others say the mantra will do. Ultimately, you will find one that will answer your longings, and the search ends. There's no need to hoard mantras - contrary to what some people may say, they are not spiritual 'bling'. :P

A useful site for info on Buddhist mantras - http://www.visiblemantra.org/mantra.html

• Like 1

Dwai....

I looked up the book you recommended. The lone Amazon reviewer gave it only 3 out of 5 stars.

Here's a link to his review. Is it still worth getting this book or is there another one that would be better for a beginner?

Its pretty good. See if you can borrow it from your public library though...and pls dont expect ancient secrets being revealed ;)

A) safe at all times

I'll see if i can make a short audio clip and post it here...or find a good one online. A good all purpose mantra can be om...just sit and chant with a relaxed straight back. Vibrate the sound from the base of your belly/lower back ending with the sinus cavity. Om is oh, uu as in ooh...and ma as in mum...key is to pronounce it with the phonemes...

Cool Mantra :)

But I think Kali gets an unfair wrap. Kali Mantra's are some of my all time Favourites, and as long as one does them in a spirit of genuine Love for Kali, then no harm would come.

It feels so good to be back home - In the Tantric tradition, ahh :):wub: :wub:

i am glad you are happy :)

Kali does get a bad rap, i suppose because her followers murdered people gleefully. I'm sure there's more to the picture than that. I really never looked into it.

Interesting you mention Shurangama, I am just done reading Ronald Epstein's paper on it.

If one is interested in understanding a history of mantras, how they work, and especially the origin of most Buddhist mantras today from sources such as early Kapalika/Saiddhantika Shaivism and Atharvanaveda, one can refer to some very voluminous research by Dr. Alexis Sanderson, an Oxford scholar of Indian Religious Studies and Sanskrit/Pail/Tibetan literature. Most Buddhist Tantric mantras and Dharanis are corrupt versions of pre-existing Atharvanic sutras and also colloquial mantras of the shakya tribe of Eastern India, most often presented in ‘apabhramsha’ format, as a rebellion against Paninian Sanskrit and the grammarians dominant at those times. That said, an independent explosion of several Buddhist and Shaivite tantric mantras did occur post the early Guhyasamaja phase.

I'm not sure if these are specifically Vedanta mantras

I assume you meant ‘Vedic’ mantras. Vedanta refers to the end part of Vedas, which are chiefly the Upanishads, dealing with jnana or self-contemplation, rather than Karma and Upasana, which are the forte of the main Vedic texts. The Vedantic mantras are also sometimes used, mostly in conjunction with certain Tantric mantras, but rarely for the purpose of Japa or ritual recitation.

I look at the mantras listed on the link you provided and would not recommend this page.

1. Aham prema - This is clearly a made up mantra, not really found anywhere. It means ‘I am Love’ and is most possibly a New Age mantra. It does not follow any rules of Sanskrit grammar of chandas (the word/sentence structure - a characteristic of most late Buddhist tantric mantras that appeared in hordes post 8th century) and seems to have no associated lineage and cannot be traced to any scripture.

2. Om Aim Hrim Krim Chamundayai Vichche - This is the famous Tantric Navakshari Mantra of Durga or Chamunda and this is the deity that is known to have historically influenced the conception of the Buddhist deity Tara (along with the Vedic Brihaspati’s wife figure). The mantra is printed incorrectly, and one of the Bija is completely incorrect and corrupts the entire mantra. The three Bijas in this mantra represent Knowledge, Power and Prosperity or the root, heart and third-eye chakras, with Chamuda representing the Chit-Shakti (Absolute Pure Consciousness) who identifies with Kundalini and traverses the said three Chakras, assuming the form of the deity invoked here. A Bija ‘Om’ was added here for some reason and then the fourth Bija was replaced with ‘krim’ - completely altering the mantra. Chamunda is a wrathful form i.e. A forceful aspect and messing her mantra up is certainly not advisable.

Then we have the Vedic mantras - Gayatri of the Sun, Mahamrityunjaya of Shiva etc. One needs to understand the difference between the Vedic and Tantric mantras at this point. The Vedic mantras derive their power from three aspects:

A. Diksha or Initiation - This is achieved through Upanayana ceremony which is the initiation of a person into the four-stages of Vedic living. Today, this ceremony is undertaken only by Hindu males, but in the past, women were allowed too. Most traditional Hindus observe the rule that only Men recite Vedic mantras and women use only Mantras from Puranas and Tantras. There has been endless debate going on for ages around this topic, but the point is, without Diksha, one does not tap into the power of mantras completely. Every mantra originates from a Seer or Rishi (who also represents Gotra or clan head, and hence some families get benefits from some mantras sooner) and the Diksha ceremony connects one to the lineage. The Vedic mantras are all derivates of the Sacred Central Sun or the Sacred Fire and this ceremony is what kindles the basic spark of Gayatri and acts as the foundation for practice of Vedic mantras.

B. Then we have the aspect of Vedic Pronunciation. Every Vedic mantra has a meter (Chandas) and rules for pronunciation - these aspects are very crucial for the Vedic mantra to work. These mantras were meant to be recited aloud and meant to awaken specific energy centers by the merit of their pronunciation. Young children from ages of five are taught the Vedic pronunciation to be able to recite the mantra correctly.

Here is an example of the correct way a Vedic mantra is to be recited:

So in essence, without right training and orientation, it is best for Most Westerners to use Puranic or Tantric mantras in preference to Vedic mantras.

A) safe at all times

There are some mantras.

1. We have the classic Rama mantra, which can be recited without initiation, rules or other paraphernalia. It invokes Rama, considered the perfection of Human Being, and mainly awakens the Fire and Water centers. It offers protection, peace of mind and general state of grace.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=MAVk-iQZ-XU

2. Om Gam Ganapataye namaH

Ganesha, worshipped in hundreds of forms and even adopted by Buddhists, is one of the most powerful deities around. He represents the Root Chakra and the beginning of one’s spiritual journey. He is the remover of obstacles, and grants protection and sense of security in every aspect - food, shelter, health, confidence etc., without which one cannot really aspire for anything spiritual.

I would not recommend very powerful mantras like those of Devi Kali without a proper foundation and guidance of the Guru (inner or outer). Kali is the first of the Mahavidyas (the ‘Great’ power) and represents transcendence of Time and Space. Not everyone is ready for her right away. The transcendence occurs through the experience of death and can be very frightful. Also, to most deities, there is a metaphysical aspect (such as the one I just described) and also a very physical and astral aspect. Kali, in astral form, can be terrifying, unless one completely understands her, recognizes her aspect as Universal Mother and loves her to death. Physically, her energies are strong and unrestricted. Where a goddess such as Lalita would awaken (as Kundalini) gracefully, giving one the time to adjust and recuperate, not immediately shattering one’s sense of limitation and duality resulting in sever shock or fear, Kali rushes forth like lightening. Her very bija krim is a combination of Space (ka) and Fire (ra) and is extremely potent. Moreover, one is always better off practicing mantras such as these after proper initiation/transmission and protective connection to a lineage of Enlightened Masters.

So, there are a lot of dos and don’ts with mantras. Also, it is important to note the two ways in which one uses mantra. One can recite the mantra simply without transmission or understanding it’s technicalities. In this case, the mantra will mostly function as an aid to concentration (on the lines of Shamata), with some limited benefit derived from the phonetic or vibrational structure of the mantra. Then there is the use of it as an actual mantra - where one is connected to the lineage of masters and ultimately to the deity itself (who is simply an aspect of one’s radiant ceaseless Self), where mantra is recited visualizing the murti (grace body) and yantra (light body) of the deity, contemplating on the metaphysical essence of the deity (or an a specific point in the energy body), also adopting mudras suitably to channel and energy correctly. The path is from intense devotion directed towards the deity, to complete identification with the deity and finally the collapse of deity into one’s Heart Space (sorry, I taught a Matrix Energetics class today, can’t get out of the terminology) when the deity is realized as simply one’s Self. Every mantra is derived from one of the fifty letters of Sanskrit alphabet and Kundalini is called Matrikavarnasharirini (one whose body constitutes the fifty letters) - so every mantra works with Kundalini in one way or the other.

Good Luck with your mantra practice :)

• Like 4

i am glad you are happy :)

Kali does get a bad rap, i suppose because her followers murdered people gleefully. I'm sure there's more to the picture than that. I really never looked into it.

Wtf? When did kali's followers murder people gleefully?!? When and where did this happen? Most of east and north-east india are Kali devotees. My family primary deity is Mother Kali...never seen anyone murdered in her name.

Seriously man...i expected more from you than dumb western sterotypes...

Wtf? When did kali's followers murder people gleefully?!? When and where did this happen? Most of east and north-east india are Kali devotees. My family primary deity is Mother Kali...never seen anyone murdered in her name.

He is talking about the Thugee sect which apparently had ritual murder as a sacrament. The British occupation wiped it out, and it is where the western word 'Thug' comes from.

If I remember rightly they favoured strangulation, and they were the Inspiration for the Indiana Jones and the temple of doom movie :D

There has been a very minor history of a few very extreme Kali sects practicing Human Sacrifice. Some of my teachers and a few friends spent quite a bit of time with Aghori's, and most heard mention of the practice still being carried out occasionally by one of the darker Aghori sects.

But if you add up the body count, Jesus is still way ahead! {sorry I couldn't resist that}

I personally think that groups doing that kind of thing completly misunderstand the wonderous nature of Mother Kali.

To me it seems that they see her wrathful side and are afraid, so wish to appease her 'terrible' nature. That to me is not understanding that her wrath [at Ignorance, attachment...] is motivated by a vast vast love...

"I'm sure there's more to the picture than that. I never really looked into it."

i meant no offense to you, your family, or their deity. All i know about kali is that she is associated with the hidden and mysterious things in life, and that she is a wrathful deity. So i am not speaking as any kind of authority. My sincerest appologies for offending you.

"I'm sure there's more to the picture than that. I never really looked into it."

i meant no offense to you, your family, or their deity. All i know about kali is that she is associated with the hidden and mysterious things in life, and that she is a wrathful deity. So i am not speaking as any kind of authority. My sincerest appologies for offending you.

:) no harm done...you're a good guy...i was just trying to drive a point home...

guruyoga,

What is your opinion about 'Bija Mantra' meditation as taught in TM? I cannot find any reference to this type of meditation in any teachings related to Shankaracarya before Mahesh Yogi introduced it. Surely his Guru didn't practice or recommend it. I would also like to ask you what is your opinion of these obvious modified offshoots of TM that offer 'mantra meditation' with modified mantra as seen in AYP and NSR. Does the 'House of Cards' fall because it has no solid foundation? or is there some benefit?

are these modified mantras simply sending people on a wild goose chase? :lol:

Look forward to your response,

cheers,

jijaji

Edited by jijaji

guruyoga,

What is your opinion about 'Bija Mantra' meditation as taught in TM? I cannot find any reference to this type of meditation in any teachings related to Shankaracarya before Mahesh Yogi introduced it. Surely his Guru didn't practice or recommend it.

I would also like to ask you what is your opinion of these obvious modified offshoots of TM that offer 'mantra meditation' with modified mantra as seen in AYP and NSR.

Does the 'House of Cards' fall because it has no solid foundation? or is there some benefit?

are these modified mantras simply sending people on a wild goose chase? :lol:

Look forward to your response,

cheers,

jijaji

This has various aspects to it. I am only theoretically familiar with Mahesh Yogi’s Transcendental Meditation , so do take what I write here with a pinch of salt.

Bija mantras, while originating from the fourth Veda, the Atharvana, are chiefly Tantric (and also Puranic on account of influence of the Tantras) in nature. It is debatable whether Acharya Shankara was a practitioner of Tantra and had any favorable leanings towards it. While Shankara was a non-dualist, most Tantra during his time seemed to be flawed (in his perspective) on two accounts: a. They were dualistic nature on the lines of Siddhanta and Pashupata tantras b. Were seen as transgressing the diktat of Shruti or the Veda, which was of primary importance to Shankara. Based on many of his hagiographies, he is also seen as someone who vehemently opposed the excesses in Tantra such as ruthless killing, meaningless debauchery involving meat, wine and women. However, in his list of universally accepted works, there is no Tantric content available. That said, works such as Prapanchasara (with a commentary attributed to Shankara’s chief disciple Padmapada) and Saundaryalahari are also traditionally attributed to Shankara. Some also point out that he does not specifically deal with Shakta Tantric doctrine while refuting various other schools in his philosophical works. So, it is quite possible that he himself was a Tantric practitioner. Moreover, if one were to account for tradition, the unbroken lineage of seers in his four Mutts (monasteries) have all been practitioners of Tantra. Srichakra or Sriyantra is installed in all monasteries of Shankara and Srividya school of Tantra is given primary importance in all of them. Today, Kashmir Shaivism remains a theory with no living lineage of practical tantra except for armchair philosophy schools such as that of Swami Lakshman Joo. Srividya school on the other hand shares its philosophical content with Kashmir Shaivism but is a 'more' living school of practical Tantra with three flavors: Samaya (internal), Dakshina (right) and Vama (left). The Shankarite monasteries and its followers have for the most part kept this ancient school of Tantra alive, something that the Kashmir Shaivites failed to achieve to the same degree, chiefly on account of barbaric Islamites who killed and are continuing to kill millions of Kashmiri Pandits in Kashmir. It is a wonder though that they have preserved whatever they have, when they have been subjected to one of the worst (and continued) genocides in the history of the World.

So, let’s assume Shankara indeed taught Tantra as outlined in his works Prapanchasara and Saundaryalahari. Any case, we have the age old practice of Srividya Tantra that is followed in all his lineages today. Swami Brahmananda Saraswati, the former Shankaracharya of Badari/Joshi Mutt, apart from being a distinguished scholar and Advaitin, was also a well-known Tantric practitioner of Srividya Tantra. He was also a well-known Siddha popular among the masses in the early part of this century and his supposed superhuman powers were widely documented and discussed at that time. He was initiated into the Dashanami order of monks by Swami Krishnananda Saraswati (all Dashanami monks trace their lineage to Acharya Shankara). Swami Rama frequently speaks of Swami Brahmananda Saraswati as a well-known practitioner of Srividya Tantra. Swami Karapatri of Kashi, a well-known Siddha and Tantric scholar, also was associated with Swami Brahmananda Saraswati and was instrumental in establishing him as the Shankaracharya of Joshi Mutt. One of my teachers was a direct disciple of Swami Karapatri (Sri Hariharananda Saraswati) and through both these sources, it can be established beyond doubt that Swami Brahmananda Saraswati was a Tantric practitioner of Srividya Tantra, easily the most sophisticated branch of Tantra from India, oft described as the culmination or apex of the Tantric movement.

Coming to Mahesh Yogi, he was a clerk at the office of the Shankaracharya of Joshi mutt. It is highly doubtful if he received any transmission/initiation into Tantra by the scholarly Shankaracharya and even if he did to an extent, it is almost impossible that he was inducted into the hoary tradition of Srividya Tantra. But, as many now note, he seems to have closely observed and absorbed the practices of the Shankaracharya, which included the Bija mantras. This, IMO, was what he used to reconstruct his own system that he called TM.

What are ‘Bija’ mantras? Translation is easy - seed sounds. But there are two ways to look at it. In terms of classification of the Tantric mantras, based on the number of syllables, there are different types of mantras - Pinda, Kartari, Bija, Mantra and Mala. Then, every mantra also is supposed to have four parts: Bija, Pinda, Samjna and Pada. Essentially, Bija mantras or seed mantras are monosyllable mantras which are used independently or in combination. They are also called so because they instill the root energy of the deity or the essence of the deity it corresponds to within the practitioner. With careful nurturing, the seed grows into a tree and fruits and flowers are produced - which represent various Siddhis, the penultimate one being complete identification with the deity or the essence/concept that the deity represents. Does one pick Bijas or mantras randomly, no.

One first goes through a process called Siddhadi Shodhana - where various kinds of analysis/tests are done including astrological ones where one determines if a particular mantra is suited for a person - thus arriving at the nature of a particular mantra specific to that practitioner, whether the mantra is mitra (friend), ari (foe), siddha (capable of granting the desired fruit) and so on. Then there is the process of initiation where a Shaktipat is done (based on the capabilities of the teacher and the student), the deity is installed within the student as a seed (through prana, mudra, nyasa and other ways) and a connection is established to the Siddha Mandala or the enlightened lineage of masters associated with that mantra/deity. Then the student performs shushka japa (dry japa - which is pretty much a mechanical recitation of the mantra) as much as possible to get a hang of the mantra and absorb its raw power. This is the only part I see actually present in Mahesh Yogi’s system. Then the student is taught skillful ways to refine his practice. Various kinds of dharanas of the mantra are taught - on breath, on chakras, on space, on deity, on emptiness, on everything-ness etc. There is contemplation on the essential nature of the deity, its astral form, its sound form (mantra), light form (yantra or mandala) and so on. There are specific techniques to regulate the massive amount of energy generated by such practices - through specific mudras, nyasa (physical and mental placement of mystic syllables within the body), pranayama etc. At a very advanced stage, there could be sexual practices (not followed by monks though) such as Dutiyaga, Bhairavi Chakra, Latayoga etc.

So, if you look at this rather systematic scheme of Tantra, and compare it with Mahesh Yogi’s system or that of AYP, there is hardly any similarity. Most of the syllables he gave out in his TM practices were Bija mantras associated with Hindu deities but he chose to strip them of their original purport to make them palatable to the “secular” crowd. Probably those practicing it did get some benefit from the inherent vibratory potency of the Bijas (a part of what a traditional practitioner gets in the shushka japa stage), but I am pretty sure the random use of Bijas did cause damage to a lot of people. Again, like today’s Yoga, picking one small aspect (such as repetition of Bija mantra in this case), from a larger and holistic framework and trying to use it in isolation can only give limited result. Yogani's intentions are sincere, he is clearly not here to make money but to help in his own way, but when it comes to mantras, unfortunately, he is way off the mark.

Edited by guruyoga
  • Like 3

Thanks guruyoga,

Coming to Mahesh Yogi, he was a clerk at the office of the Shankaracharya of Joshi mutt. It is highly doubtful if he received any transmission/initiation into Tantra by the scholarly Shankaracharya and even if he did to an extent, it is almost impossible that he was inducted into the hoary tradition of Srividya Tantra. But, as many now note, he seems to have closely observed and absorbed the practices of the Shankaracharya, which included the Bija mantras. This, IMO, was what he used to reconstruct his own system that he called TM.

I have heard this too, it comes mainly from the TM side, it sounds somewhat fishy to me that as the clerk he would be observing the Shankaracarya practicing Sri Vidya.

Also in the early days of the TM movement in 1961 there were only the mantras RAM used for men and SHIRIRAM used for women. The advanced techniques given then were 'Sri' and 'Namah' with Ram in the middle.

So it becomes 'Sri Ram Namah'.

Jai Sri Ram

:lol:

BTW, guruyoga,

I consider you greatly fortunate to have had the darshan of Sri Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswathi Mahaswamiji

Edited by jijaji

Thanks guruyoga,

I have heard this too, it comes mainly from the TM side, it sounds somewhat fishy to me that as the clerk he would be observing the Shankaracarya practicing Sri Vidya.

Also in the early days of the TM movement in 1961 there were only the mantras RAM used for men and SHIRIRAM used for women. The advanced techniques given then were 'Sri' and 'Namah' with Ram in the middle.

So it becomes 'Sri Ram Namah'.

Jai Sri Ram

:lol:

BTW, guruyoga,

I consider you greatly fortunate to have had the darshan of Sri Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswathi Mahaswamiji

Oh yes, I had heard about the original mantras too. Ram is the vahni Bija or the bija of fire associated with Svadhishthana/Manipuraka chakra. Raam is the bija of Rama, an incarnation of Vishnu. Here again, he seems to have messed up!

There are two popular mantras of Rama.

1. Rama Taraka mantra - Raam Raamaaya namah

2. Ramaraksha Mantra - Shree Rama Jaya Rama Jaya Jaya Rama

The first is generally considered to require initiation. The second is more common and generally recited by one and all.

So he got the Ram instead of the actual Raam, the bija of Rama. And then Shree Rama namah - this is also completely wrong, as it does not obey the rule of Sanskrit. Namah, svaha etc require the fourth case or vibhakti, so the correct usage, even if the bija is incorrect, would be Shree Raamaaya namah.

Thinking back, I can imagine why he chose these mantras. Luminaries like Swami Brahmananda Saraswati and Karpatriji Maharaj generally gave out Rama's mantras to commoners to instill in them Bhakti and lay a foundation for their spiritual life. Huge lectures on spiritual topics were a common thing on the banks of Ganges in Kashi where these mantras were given to masses. Mahesh Yogi seems to have made use of that. No wonder greatest level of secrecy was required regarding these mantras :)

• Like 1